The Halfback Conundrum

Which potential halfback, available from November 1, should the club make the #1 priority?

  • Ben Hunt

    Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Braydon Trindall

    Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Jonah Pezet

    Votes: 27 45.8%
  • Sam Walker

    Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Daniel Atkinson

    Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Lachlan Ilias

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above - Stick by Jack Cogger and continue to nurture kids currently in the system

    Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other (comment with their name)

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Ronald Volkman

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Toby Sexton

    Votes: 3 5.1%

  • Total voters
    59
With Andrew and Matthew Johns as the mentors would be worth every cent invested.
Matty would be a great mentor. Joey not so sure.

Matty helped Cooper Cronk down in the Melbourne earlier on in Cooper's career. Has great knowledge and can break down and analyze halves well.

Joey while the GOAT, his skills and vision I don't think can be taught and get the feeling he'd lose his temper easily coaching the younger halves. But because of his reputation I'd still sign him as a mentor with his brother.
 
Matty would be a great mentor. Joey not so sure.

Matty helped Cooper Cronk down in the Melbourne earlier on in Cooper's career. Has great knowledge and can break down and analyze halves well.

Joey while the GOAT, his skills and vision I don't think can be taught and get the feeling he'd lose his temper easily coaching the younger halves. But because of his reputation I'd still sign him as a mentor with his brother.
And you cant teach having ADHD and seeing things others just cant, Wouldnt be surprised if he was autistic also
 
And you cant teach having ADHD and seeing things others just cant, Wouldnt be surprised if he was autistic also
After how he react to one of the origin losses one year, I reckon he those conditions. He's got bipolar I think. Correct me if me wrong
 
For sure, those things are important. Defence to me is outside the realm of the academy, something to work on with the rest of the team.

Reading the play is one thing. Thurston, Cronk talk about setting things up so it looks like you expect too. And surely one thing a young player can learn is to identify mismatches and keep going back there regularly. I've seen our players burn their opposite for pace or overcome them with strength early in a game, then never getting another chance.
Good posts mate, definitely learned some stuff myself today.
 
Other guys that would make good halves academy coaches along with Matty and I'll list Joey also.

Kurt Gidley
Michael Dobson
Blake Green
Jarrod Mullen
Brett Kimmorley
Luke Walsh

Anyone know if Rohan Smith ever got a job at the Knights?
 
Not happy making the 8, wants to drop an under performing player for a player that's not upto fg and happy to lose the next week.

I guess that's the kind of intelligence we can expect from someone that is proud to be from kurri kurri

You're right I am proud to be from Kurri. Very proud actually.

As for the rest of your post, You are right I'm not happy making the 8, nobody remembers who made the 8, nobody cares. What matters is who made the grand final, and who won it. Thats what I'm interested in, making a qualifying final, winning it and seeing the Knights in a Grand Final.

You can be happy with the Knights making the 8 all you like, sit at home all chuffed at how great we are going as a club. Good for you, I'm not happy with that. I want more. The club should want more, if the club is happy just making the 8 they have no business being in the NRL. Fold the club and move them to somewhere else. If that is what the club has become, I will gladly see the back of them!

Would I drop an underperforming player for a player not up to FG standard, spot on I would. Thats called sending a message that you aren't some big shot because you made it to the NRL, thats just one step on the path. Nobody remembers hundreds of past players who just ran around in the big time for a while. People remember champions.

Dropping him for a player not at FG standard, DSAF wasn't at first grade standard, for a very long time. Yet he was allowed to keep his position, message received loud and clear, no real effort needed I can tread water and still cash the cheques. When he did finally, finally get dropped he was dropped to the bench. I'd rather OB have sent a message early on, you earn your spot every week. The player you say isn't FG standard could benefit from a run in the NRL to show them what it's like, where they need to be to play there, then send them back down in a week or two once DSAF gets the ****ing message!

DSAF was a powder puff prop, totally bludging his way through seasons of NRL, what we needed was a damaging prop to play off the back of, what we got was a fat, slow, lazy, bludger. I don't believe in rewarding that with continued presence in the NRL squad.

You seem to though, but we are talking about a club that is happy as long as we finish above 12th or whatever joke goal was set.

So lets all go on making the 8 and feeling so great about what a good club we are. Meanwhile the rest of the NRL views the Knights as a joke, irrelevant and a side show. Slightly about West Tigers. That hurts me, that should hurt you. It doesn't though, your too busy celebrating our success!
 
You're right I am proud to be from Kurri. Very proud actually.

As for the rest of your post, You are right I'm not happy making the 8, nobody remembers who made the 8, nobody cares. What matters is who made the grand final, and who won it. Thats what I'm interested in, making a qualifying final, winning it and seeing the Knights in a Grand Final.

You can be happy with the Knights making the 8 all you like, sit at home all chuffed at how great we are going as a club. Good for you, I'm not happy with that. I want more. The club should want more, if the club is happy just making the 8 they have no business being in the NRL. Fold the club and move them to somewhere else. If that is what the club has become, I will gladly see the back of them!

Would I drop an underperforming player for a player not up to FG standard, spot on I would. Thats called sending a message that you aren't some big shot because you made it to the NRL, thats just one step on the path. Nobody remembers hundreds of past players who just ran around in the big time for a while. People remember champions.

Dropping him for a player not at FG standard, DSAF wasn't at first grade standard, for a very long time. Yet he was allowed to keep his position, message received loud and clear, no real effort needed I can tread water and still cash the cheques. When he did finally, finally get dropped he was dropped to the bench. I'd rather OB have sent a message early on, you earn your spot every week. The player you say isn't FG standard could benefit from a run in the NRL to show them what it's like, where they need to be to play there, then send them back down in a week or two once DSAF gets the ****ing message!

DSAF was a powder puff prop, totally bludging his way through seasons of NRL, what we needed was a damaging prop to play off the back of, what we got was a fat, slow, lazy, bludger. I don't believe in rewarding that with continued presence in the NRL squad.

You seem to though, but we are talking about a club that is happy as long as we finish above 12th or whatever joke goal was set.

So lets all go on making the 8 and feeling so great about what a good club we are. Meanwhile the rest of the NRL views the Knights as a joke, irrelevant and a side show. Slightly about West Tigers. That hurts me, that should hurt you. It doesn't though, your too busy celebrating our success!
This is so true about the player Dsaff and the attitude of the club, irrespective of our views on this forum.
Why isn’t the coach’s benchmark top 4 if we have the players as so many of us think?
Why do we continually accept mediocrity and go off our trees when we go on an extended winning run once in a decade?
To be honest I think fear of another wooden spoon drives the club and they have forgotten how to expect top 4 finishes. We seem to be still baring the scars of the consecutive spoons which have evaporated hope for higher endeavours. That would explain the coach’s last contract conditions, and worse still, the management’s view of the team.
 
If nothing has changed I believe the Cows don’t actually have a say in it at all, he is in the final year of his deal and that means we can go to him right now, and it doesn’t mean squat what the Cows want.
On what planet do we go into this season not having offered him a contract? The only answer is that they don't think he is a good player/will be a good player for us.

Because Pezet is in the exact same position as Duffy. Just got a dozen or so NRL appearances.
 
This is so true about the player Dsaff and the attitude of the club, irrespective of our views on this forum.
Why isn’t the coach’s benchmark top 4 if we have the players as so many of us think?
Why do we continually accept mediocrity and go off our trees when we go on an extended winning run once in a decade?
To be honest I think fear of another wooden spoon drives the club and they have forgotten how to expect top 4 finishes. We seem to be still baring the scars of the consecutive spoons which have evaporated hope for higher endeavours. That would explain the coach’s last contract conditions, and worse still, the management’s view of the team.
Fair point.
 
If not what people think, it’s fact as we have proven the Knights hold the potential of being the most dangerous side in league even more than Penrith but that’s only when we want to play.

I look at the Knights as sleeping giants we have really good players just missing a 7, 6 and a coach, we get those and I fully believe we run through the league.

It reminds me of Penrith how they were laughing stocks but secretly were building great juniors and once they came up the game changed in literally a year from out lookers looking in

I’m honestly all in on getting rid of AOB, there is no one out there that’s any good realistically in a tried and true meaning but Id be keeping close eyes on Sammy boy in England, his style might work well at the Knights and no on would give him lip as he is a NRL great and a premiership winner. Second would be Willie it still burns me he was here at the Knights and we let him walk for a better opportunity like Robbo because we didn’t want to take the chance, both went on to show they are better than our current coach
 
AOB is a hard one. If he was at Brisbane he would have been long gone. I can definitely say the long deal the club gave him was wrong. But he’s done mediocre to good things and obviously gaining more experience as each year goes by. So I can see why we persevere with him.
 
Brisbane is not exactly a good example, they've been a coaching merry-go-round for a while. It will be interesting to see if they white-ant Madge like they did Seibold because he was an outsider. Not that insiders get much better treatment at the Broncos, Kevvy can probably attest to that. I don't think Kev's a great coach (TV commentators almost always aren't) but the Broncos brutally sacked him a year after he nearly won the title.

Anyway, the point is there's no point talking about AOB's position, short of a 2016-like season (and maybe not even then) he's not going anywhere before roughly the end of 2026. And there's no one to replace him with anyway. It's likely another rookie, short of Bellamy (who seems desperate to retire most seasons) deciding he wants another challenge.

The Dogs are still buying according to Zero Tackle.

It must be nice to have a salary sombrero. Just hoping it blows up in Gus's face with a top-heavy roster, no Bulldogs identity in the team and a missed premiership window.
 
You're right I am proud to be from Kurri. Very proud actually.

As for the rest of your post, You are right I'm not happy making the 8, nobody remembers who made the 8, nobody cares. What matters is who made the grand final, and who won it. Thats what I'm interested in, making a qualifying final, winning it and seeing the Knights in a Grand Final.

You can be happy with the Knights making the 8 all you like, sit at home all chuffed at how great we are going as a club. Good for you, I'm not happy with that. I want more. The club should want more, if the club is happy just making the 8 they have no business being in the NRL. Fold the club and move them to somewhere else. If that is what the club has become, I will gladly see the back of them!

Would I drop an underperforming player for a player not up to FG standard, spot on I would. Thats called sending a message that you aren't some big shot because you made it to the NRL, thats just one step on the path. Nobody remembers hundreds of past players who just ran around in the big time for a while. People remember champions.

Dropping him for a player not at FG standard, DSAF wasn't at first grade standard, for a very long time. Yet he was allowed to keep his position, message received loud and clear, no real effort needed I can tread water and still cash the cheques. When he did finally, finally get dropped he was dropped to the bench. I'd rather OB have sent a message early on, you earn your spot every week. The player you say isn't FG standard could benefit from a run in the NRL to show them what it's like, where they need to be to play there, then send them back down in a week or two once DSAF gets the ****ing message!

DSAF was a powder puff prop, totally bludging his way through seasons of NRL, what we needed was a damaging prop to play off the back of, what we got was a fat, slow, lazy, bludger. I don't believe in rewarding that with continued presence in the NRL squad.

You seem to though, but we are talking about a club that is happy as long as we finish above 12th or whatever joke goal was set.

So lets all go on making the 8 and feeling so great about what a good club we are. Meanwhile the rest of the NRL views the Knights as a joke, irrelevant and a side show. Slightly about West Tigers. That hurts me, that should hurt you. It doesn't though, your too busy celebrating our success!
Hi guys, long time stalker but read this post and just had to comment - 100% accurate and one of the best posts I've read in a very long time.

I visit here and the other forum from time to time and the one constant besides the passion is the acceptance of being losers. So bad is it that players being average ( sometimes not even that ) is celebrated.

The Club, poorly run. My evidence ? just look at the results - the end no argument . Objectively a poorly operated club at a management level. For some unknown reason this management that is better suited to an RSL slot-machine set-up avoid the wrath of fans and media. Anyone watch the podcast recently with Ronald Griffiths? Wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement of the club. Make no mistake the buck stops with management as it does in any organization.

The Roster, is about where we are - a middle of the table roster. My evidence ? just look at the results. Lack of leadership, experience is one thing, but the roster lacks true born leaders among them.

Some average players that have been tapped on the shoulder recently I see some people making comments they should be extended. My god. Do they not realize they're currently available and no club is bashing down the door to sign them? They wouldn't see first grade in a roster making a tilt at the title - why oh why would anyone post they should be re-signed is beyond me.

The Coach, Rookie on training wheels no doubt. On the major exam of instilling culture he gets a C for mine. Dsaf should have been playing reserve grade years ago. If he was dropped then he'd most likely still be at the club and playing top footy. The acceptance of his bludging was a terrible terrible message to him and to the playing group. This and this alone makes me question if AOB is the right man. I cannot understate the awful impact this would have had on the playing group and culture at the club. To make matters worse Dsaf was a cancerous prick on the way out the door.

Having said that I dont think he could have done too much better given the cattle he's had to work with. In fact I would go so far as to say he's got the best out of an average lot. The spine is the worst in the comp or thereabouts, and lacks a true enforcer in the pack.
 
Hi guys, long time stalker but read this post and just had to comment - 100% accurate and one of the best posts I've read in a very long time.

I visit here and the other forum from time to time and the one constant besides the passion is the acceptance of being losers. So bad is it that players being average ( sometimes not even that ) is celebrated.

The Club, poorly run. My evidence ? just look at the results - the end no argument . Objectively a poorly operated club at a management level. For some unknown reason this management that is better suited to an RSL slot-machine set-up avoid the wrath of fans and media. Anyone watch the podcast recently with Ronald Griffiths? Wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement of the club. Make no mistake the buck stops with management as it does in any organization.

The Roster, is about where we are - a middle of the table roster. My evidence ? just look at the results. Lack of leadership, experience is one thing, but the roster lacks true born leaders among them.

Some average players that have been tapped on the shoulder recently I see some people making comments they should be extended. My god. Do they not realize they're currently available and no club is bashing down the door to sign them? They wouldn't see first grade in a roster making a tilt at the title - why oh why would anyone post they should be re-signed is beyond me.

The Coach, Rookie on training wheels no doubt. On the major exam of instilling culture he gets a C for mine. Dsaf should have been playing reserve grade years ago. If he was dropped then he'd most likely still be at the club and playing top footy. The acceptance of his bludging was a terrible terrible message to him and to the playing group. This and this alone makes me question if AOB is the right man. I cannot understate the awful impact this would have had on the playing group and culture at the club. To make matters worse Dsaf was a cancerous prick on the way out the door.

Having said that I dont think he could have done too much better given the cattle he's had to work with. In fact I would go so far as to say he's got the best out of an average lot. The spine is the worst in the comp or thereabouts, and lacks a true enforcer in the pack.
Welcome to the forum Albus! Didn’t know about the Griffiths interview, do you have a link? Sounds interesting!

The constant sacking and hiring of development/recruitment staff definitely doesn’t paint the management in a good light. Hard to be a success when that area is such a shambles.
 
Welcome to the forum Albus! Didn’t know about the Griffiths interview, do you have a link? Sounds interesting!

The constant sacking and hiring of development/recruitment staff definitely doesn’t paint the management in a good light. Hard to be a success when that area is such a shambles.
. As much as what he doesn't say as what he does say. The pregnant pause when asked about the Knights, you can hear his mind ticking away.

As you say erratic hiring and firing over many years, eventually you come to the realization maybe it isnt the staff that are the problem. Everything at the club is down to management. coach , pathways, roster, culture - everything.

If the media rumor is correct that AOB had a clause in his contract that the team must finish above 12th then heads need to roll. I cannot for the life of me believe it.
 
Welcome to the forum Albus! Didn’t know about the Griffiths interview, do you have a link? Sounds interesting!

The constant sacking and hiring of development/recruitment staff definitely doesn’t paint the management in a good light. Hard to be a success when that area is such a shambles.

From what I read that came down to not being able to work with Gardner and his cronie mate who stick their noses in where they shouldn't be.

There is no doubt in my mind our management is horrible, and contributes to the clubs outcomes.
 
Hi guys, long time stalker but read this post and just had to comment - 100% accurate and one of the best posts I've read in a very long time.

I visit here and the other forum from time to time and the one constant besides the passion is the acceptance of being losers. So bad is it that players being average ( sometimes not even that ) is celebrated.

The Club, poorly run. My evidence ? just look at the results - the end no argument . Objectively a poorly operated club at a management level. For some unknown reason this management that is better suited to an RSL slot-machine set-up avoid the wrath of fans and media. Anyone watch the podcast recently with Ronald Griffiths? Wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement of the club. Make no mistake the buck stops with management as it does in any organization.

The Roster, is about where we are - a middle of the table roster. My evidence ? just look at the results. Lack of leadership, experience is one thing, but the roster lacks true born leaders among them.

Some average players that have been tapped on the shoulder recently I see some people making comments they should be extended. My god. Do they not realize they're currently available and no club is bashing down the door to sign them? They wouldn't see first grade in a roster making a tilt at the title - why oh why would anyone post they should be re-signed is beyond me.

The Coach, Rookie on training wheels no doubt. On the major exam of instilling culture he gets a C for mine. Dsaf should have been playing reserve grade years ago. If he was dropped then he'd most likely still be at the club and playing top footy. The acceptance of his bludging was a terrible terrible message to him and to the playing group. This and this alone makes me question if AOB is the right man. I cannot understate the awful impact this would have had on the playing group and culture at the club. To make matters worse Dsaf was a cancerous prick on the way out the door.

Having said that I dont think he could have done too much better given the cattle he's had to work with. In fact I would go so far as to say he's got the best out of an average lot. The spine is the worst in the comp or thereabouts, and lacks a true enforcer in the pack.
I can’t argue with most of this post.
While I love the Knights as a team who really rose to great heights 2 decades ago and always had a go, what is dished up by the 2024 Knights version is unbearably bad.
The Knights at present are a stuck team.
As a fan I love the Knights, as an organisation and management team, they are just terrible.
 
I really don’t see much acceptance of being losers. People on here are pretty much always fuming after a loss.

I won’t apologise for enjoying our good moments though. For me as a fan I take enjoyment where I can find it. Without that I’d personally find supporting the team a very depressing, cynical and unenjoyable pastime. Same with life, there’s so much crap out there in the world, but you only get one crack at life, so why not try to enjoy it while you can?

Do I wish we were better - of course, but we aren’t, and there’s not a lot I can really do about that!

Personally finding a lot of the constant negativity on here quite boring recently.
 
Back
Top