The Halfback Conundrum

Which potential halfback, available from November 1, should the club make the #1 priority?

  • Ben Hunt

    Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Braydon Trindall

    Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Jonah Pezet

    Votes: 27 45.8%
  • Sam Walker

    Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Daniel Atkinson

    Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Lachlan Ilias

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above - Stick by Jack Cogger and continue to nurture kids currently in the system

    Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other (comment with their name)

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Ronald Volkman

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Toby Sexton

    Votes: 3 5.1%

  • Total voters
    59
I really think Gamble deserves to start at 6, but I also wouldn’t mind seeing Pryce start. No doubt he has talent. Even if it means we were to slip a few spots on the ladder, we need to find a half that has potential for the future.
 
Gamble is a far better 6 than Pryce. But Pryce has the talent to be a far better 6 than Gamble.

So, we either explore the risker option in search of the spine player we need. Or we stick with our current results.

This is the current philosophical divide among fans and apparently stakeholders at the club. Seems Ponga is pushing for something more with his support for Pryce
I would ask Ponga who he wants at 6 & 7 as a starting point, then work from there. The best players know, and frankly so do most of the squad.
 
Not true at all. Was Ponga a very large part of our success, yes. He’s a freak. But everyone was playing with confidence. Our entire backline was unstoppable, you can’t deny that Gamble played very well that season. Even before that 10 game streak, I was happy with most of our performances, we didn’t just magically win games out of nowhere. Our defence was also outstanding, especially on our line.
Guess I beg to differ . It is a forum!!
 
So Pryce isn’t as good as Gamble. But we should hand him a starting spot because he possibly could be and is mates with Ponga. I feel like Michael Hagan would have this type of viewpoint.
I think the coach does have to go with a hunch like this at times. I'm happy to give Pryce a go, but also happy enough if we stick with Gamble to start the season.

Halfback is still the biggest issue for me.
 
I'd love Pryce to be the answer, but I have to say in his first grade games this year, he looked to offer less attacking flair than Gamble to me.

I think people are basing it on his highlights from the SL. I didn’t get to watch too many Cup games this year but he was pretty well handled from the limited games I saw.
Like with Bailey Hodgson I was expecting a lot more with ball in hand.

I don’t see why Gamble can’t play 7 with Pryce at 6.
 
Hastings, In an interview on let’s trot, mentioned he will play where ever the team needs. Which alludes they may go with Cogger.

I think if KP has input he will want Pryce in the 6. Cogger and Pryce then. There will surely be injuries, so Gamble and Hastings will be playing games in FG.
 
Honestly I think KP is just getting tired of everyone relying on him to carry the team, it’s a team sport and you need more than 1 player, 1 player will never win you a premiership even the greats had good players around to help them come in and out and right now I think KP is sick of the same old people who whilst good, simply cannot take the heat of him.

No matter how people spin it Pryce is the most potential and has the ability to take heat of KP no one in league is worried about Gamble, Hastings or Cogger running the ball as they don’t have pace of agility and right now I’d say he is probably wondering if nothing changes can he actually win a premiership here, with the coaching stuff seemingly happy to tread water and being to scared to try things.

In other words “why should I give my all and try year after year if nothing is going to change”
 
So Pryce isn’t as good as Gamble. But we should hand him a starting spot because he possibly could be and is mates with Ponga. I feel like Michael Hagan would have this type of viewpoint.
In short, yea, because Gamble is fkn average and we've got a young player with rep level talent who might get there if we give him an opportunity. Frankly it's a no brainer to give Pryce at least a couple months to see if he's got it in him.

Or we could just stick with Cogger and Gamble and reach for the stars
 
We have another 5 weeks of pre-season.
We will do a lot of opposed sessions and a lot of work on structures in that time.
If they decide to go with Pryce in the 6, they have a lot of time to teach him the role they want him to play.

The fact that he played very different in firstgrade to how he played in reserves tells me he can adapt to play the role the coaches want him to play.
He needs to put all his selfish plays into his back pocket and only bring them out when no one is expecting it. They might even work sometimes if it's unexpected.
 
Surely no-one sees KP’s start last year as “slow”?? He was breaking teams apart, making breaks from kick returns and the team wasn’t there with him.
 
Back
Top