Sadly it's that time, your team for 2020

So we have had season reviews for Chris Randall and Brodie Jones, with predictions of how they might go next year.
They are both off contract I think, so they are either going to be retained, or the guy doing the reviews doesn't know, which seems unlikely.

Wicks did time in prison for a major crime.
Phythian smoked a joint - or maybe was just in the room when someone else did.
He wouldn't have even been sacked if Wests weren't trying to make a point when they took over.

Phythian was a repeat offender? (from memory) they usually keep the first one in-house and there are probably other first grade players who have copped the in-house ones that we will never hear about unless they reoffend.

Like I said happy his served his time as Billy says below people have done a 100 times worse and been welcome back with open arms, just don't see the point in bringing in a bloke who what kicked a 40/20 and blew his knee and his a history of injury at what 25-27, would rather work with what we've got or wait for someone cheap to come up in the offseason - not the club will be looking at him anyway.

I never suggested he should come back here in my posts, when there are other players brought through but if some other team came knocking to bring him in through reserves or something then good luck to him.

Toohey has said a couple of times that the club won't look at anyone with a history of ACL's because of Griff and Moga.

Wonder if they will do what the Roosters do and refuse to negotiate with Isaac Moses, seems like no Roosters player ever is talked into spitting the dummy and wanting out of their contract because their manager took less money when they could have earned more.
In other news the Roosters have been salary cap compliant this whole time lol.

I’m too lazy to look but was the cordner bro of the same vein.? Had talent, didn’t take his chances,, couldn’t stay on the straight and narrow etc...or was he just never any good. Was in our juniors wasn’t he?

I’m too lazy to look but was the cordner bro of the same vein.? Had talent, didn’t take his chances,, couldn’t stay on the straight and narrow etc...or was he just never any good. Was in our juniors wasn’t he?
He tried hard but wasn't that good. He played some reserve grade for us, but never stood out as an undersized prop.
At one time Dane and Boyd were both picked for different sides to play in the schoolboys championships - Dane for public schools and Boyd for Catholic schools - Dane was one of the oldest in the comp and didn't stand out - Boyd was the youngest player picked at about 16 and was one of the standouts of the championships. At that point Boyd was on a small Knights contract but still living in Taree and he got a big offer from the Roosters and probably other sides as well. Dane was struggling to make our under 20s side. In short, Boyd was 3 years younger than Dane, and already much better.
Cordner's cousins, Kurtis and Joel Dark, were pretty promising, but we seem to have lost them both this year. Kurtis is playing Qld cup after a great year in under 20s for us last year, and Joel is not in any of our squads now.

Last edited:
I never suggested he should come back here in my posts, when there are other players brought through but if some other team came knocking to bring him in through reserves or something then good luck to him.

Didn't say you did and hey wouldn't be upset if we did pick him up on a base contract just think it would be a waste of a spot for someone that showed "promise" and is now footy middle age, would be happy to be proven wrong.

0.0000001% chance club goes there anyway.

I don't think Phythian is what we need, but if the coaching staff decided he is healthy enough I wouldn't have any problem with him training with the part time squad and having a chance to earn a spot.
The Titans were happy to have him train with them for the last 2 years, because he is clearly a great trainer who challenges the other squad members.
We don't know who is reserve grade coach now that Bourke passed on the position, but Bourke was a former Lakes coach who might have had a lot to do with Lakes junior Phythian (not sure how the dates line up, but Phythian was playing for Lakes 4 or 5 years ago and Bourke was coaching them 5 or 6 years ago.

In short, having a great trainer doing an off season with the part time squad with a chance to earn a reserve grade spot wouldn't kill us.

Wicks did time in prison for a major crime.
Phythian smoked a joint - or maybe was just in the room when someone else did.
He wouldn't have even been sacked if Wests weren't trying to make a point when they took over.

it wasnt his first offence and he got done for cocaine. his family loathe the knights as they feel getting caught a 2nd time shouldnt warrent termination .
he had the choice between living his dream or acting like a local footy lad with his mates and getting on the gear constantly and he chose the latter. theres 1000s of young kids out there willing to stay clean and work hard that we should look at before we look at pythian again.

Everybody deserves a go after serving time, if Pythian is good enough don’t see any reason to not give him a go. If it comes to a choice with another player just as good and clean then he misses out. If he ain’t good enough he won’t make it, let ability make the choice.

Didn't say you did and hey wouldn't be upset if we did pick him up on a base contract just think it would be a waste of a spot for someone that showed "promise" and is now footy middle age, would be happy to be proven wrong.

0.0000001% chance club goes there anyway.

I said another team specifically (which is why I used the Wicks comparison that anyone these days gets a second chance unless you murder someone)
I don’t expect or want him to be back at the Knights but good luck to him if he gets a lifeline from another nrl team

Phythian had a pretty impressive game.
He made a few errors at the end, but both sides were out on their feet for the last 15 minutes and making mistake after mistake, so he wasn't the only one who ran out of gas in a game that was played at close to NRL pace.
His kicking game, running game and defence were all outstanding.

Ponga has been named to play 5/8 for the junior Kangaroos against the senior France side.
The age limit for Junior Kangaroos has been lifted from under 20s to under 23s and all the named players are regular firstgraders and probably future rep stars.
Papenhuyzen has been named at fullback.

Ponga has been named to play 5/8 for the junior Kangaroos against the senior France side.
The age limit for Junior Kangaroos has been lifted from under 20s to under 23s and all the named players are regular firstgraders and probably future rep stars.
Papenhuyzen has been named at fullback.
are they playing a junior france side or the test side?

It’ll have to be Watson. It’s unfair to expect a kid with no First Grade experience to play such an important position as soon as they come in to Grade.

Has there been any word on Levi? I’d be happy to have Watson at pivot and a Brailey/Levi dummy half rotation.

Let’s sign Cooper Cronk as trainer, no cost to Cap, run him on and off field to coach/direct play like he has done for past two GF wins, no passing, no running, just carry a water bottle and direct traffic, game good as won.

Back