Sadly it's that time, your team for 2020

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Lord of the Skraelings, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Herman? I'd say one of the chances was very underwhelming last year, ditto with Fitz(yes know you didn't mention him.)

Not at you slots, but to all the Brown couldn't coach, not sure that's the case, he lost the dressing room, and that's happened to plenty of great coach's, he did well at the Dragons with a good roster, ESL with a poor roster and had a patch we're we looked like we'd beat anyone.

I have my thought's once he started to have at them to win rather than compete once we had the roster the boys didn't like it and well we saw what happened we went from top 4 likely's to bottom 4 specials again in a matter of weeks.

2. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    My mate Sione made the same mistake in defence for 3 years under Brown. Surely the coach fixes the problem or drops the bloke ? Brown did neither. Couldn't motivate the team to perform at or near their best consistently. Dud coach from where I sit but his wife does make a great butter chicken and he's a good bloke.

3. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

More talent in his little toe than most of our forwards. Got ordinary treatment from the coach after being our best forward in 2018.

New coach is a big fan, it's a contract year. He will be massive for us.

4. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Brown lost the dressing room when he let the senior players set the game plan after the string of close losses in the early season, and the team went on a winning streak on the back of guys like Levi and Pearce playing their natural game. When Brown tried to take back control, a lot of players started to just go through the motions and we hardly won another game.

5. Lord of the Skraelings

Big call Billy, I'd put a lot of it down to Pearce's injury and subsequent slump, also Ponga stopped having a dig when Pearce did.

6. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

1. Ponga
    2. Lee
    3. Hunt
    4. Moga/Best/Tuala/Shibasaki
    5. Best/Tuala/Toa
    6. Crossland
    7. Pearce
    8. Klemmer
    9. Brailey
    10. D Saifiti
    11. Fitzgibbon
    12. Barnett
    13. Ese’ese

14. Watson
    15. Glasby
    16. Guerra
    17. J Saifiti

I think centre and wing are two spots where it really could be anyone’s game. Hunt should be a lock-in for one spot after last years form so it’s up to Moga, Best, Tuala, Shibasaki and Toa to fight it out for the other spots.

7. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

He also admitted playing some of his Origin guys with the schedules they had was the wrong call too. And maybe contributed to the wear of some of the blokes as the season hit the home stretch.

We went from having one player in Origin to several and it was a different time to 10-15 years ago juggling your rep players.

8. danknights

danknights Ben Kennedy

They were footballers back then not athletes. Different ballpark. I remember vautin saying he played something like 5 games in 1 week. Wouldn't dare hear of that nowadays.

9. Lord of the Skraelings

He left the decision in their hands and they chose to backup, they are professional athletes I can't blame them as it was a call to their pride, wrong in hindsight for sure and I reckon your right R_A that's when things went south.

R_A likes this.
  10. Ethan

Ethan Ben Kennedy

Brown told Levi to just run the ball (from Levi's mouth ) and all of a sudden he was playing his best footy That was a coach coaching imo .
    Any players that just went through the motions for there $10s of 1000s per game should have been sacked straight away . They arnt being paid big dollars to (just go through the motions) for any bloody reason .
    Also this **** about the team needing to be motivated , all they should need to be motivated too play there best is look at there bank accounts every week ..
    Imo if that isn't enough to make them play at there best then get rid of them .. Everyone else is expected to work at there best for there employer for a pittance compared to what these guys get …
    Personally ive had enough of all this molly codling of players if they don't aim up **** them off and get someone else that is keen to do his best no matter what , such as Hunt .
    Write into contracts that if the coach says they arnt trying hard enough or playing to there potential or playing the way they were before they were signed , then they get fined or lose a % of there pay . I bet they would be motivated then . If they don't want to sign a contract that says they must play to there best week in week out or they get docked a certain amount then we don't want them because we only want players who will put in every game .

11. Ethan

Ethan Ben Kennedy

Before anyone says they cant play there best under a coach they don't like or get along with , my wifes boss is a total xxxxhole but she is expected to do her best all the time no matter what and the same goes for everyone else .
    Performance based contracts is the go Brown signed one and the players should have to do the same ...

12. danknights

danknights Ben Kennedy

We all try our best sure but even we have bad days/weeks/months. You lose a bit of confidence and it can spiral pretty quick. I can forgive for a bad game or 2 but once looking at how to fix it and doing it still is what I can't forgive.

Footy being an energy sport it's all about diet and getting the body in top shape to be able to play NRL for 80 minutes with minimal fatigue. The body needs to be stronger mentally but we seem to put an emphasis on physically.

13. slotmachine

Not sure how anyone could still defend brown.

Despite all the talk in his presser when he "stepped down" about rebuilding other clubs, he won't ever get another head coach gig in the nrl.

Beaumont likes this.
  14. Lord of the Skraelings

People sure quick to forget that he rebuilt the scrubbing team we had to a premiership threat.

15. slotmachine

Not much of a threat if you don't make the finals.

16. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Andrew Hodge

Asset Manager
    lols

17. relicorange94

relicorange94 Justin Holbrook

Mai-Wel
    I can imagine the Warriors getting the wooden spoon this year now that Brown’s part of the coaching staff. Worst coach the NRL has ever had.

18. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Brown did the job we wanted him to do.
    I think it was a mistake to give him a year coaching the squad he put together because he'd already showed he isn't a good coach, but it's fair to say we owed him a shot after he'd pretty much trashed his reputation for us.
    He got a few million pay and a chance to coach his team.
    He did the job we asked.
    We gave him all we owed him.
    Time to move on.
    Only question for me is if Wests should have put their hands in their pockets and bought a proven performer as coach.

Battler likes this.
  19. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    I don't know about a coach needing the ability to keep a team motivated being BS. Pretty often that ability separates a successful coach from those who rack up a hat trick of spoons.

20. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

An interesting thought, but I don't think any of the proven coaches were worth the money really. Unless you want to pay Bellamy $2m a year once his contract with the Storm is done and IMO he's the only coach worth anything close to that amount because you can give him anyone and he will get them to play as a team.

If we were in the coaching search merry-go-round a year earlier when some other clubs were we may have had options but the pickings were a bit more slim this time around.