Round 4: Newcastle Knights vs Canberra Raiders

What is your Prediction for this Game ??

  • Knights 13+

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Knights 1-12

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Draw

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Raiders 1-12

    Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Raiders 13+

    Votes: 2 15.4%

  • Total voters
    13
  • Poll closed .
I've watched a lot of Best in action and I knew he had a better passing game than we had seen so far, but the cross field kick and the vision to see it was on came out of the blue.

Billy has been telling us about Best for a long time now, I’m very excited to watch him develop more as a player.

I hope he is not moved into the forwards, I think it would be like moving Mal Meninga to lock.
 
Fox Dally M votes:

3- Ponga
2- Ese Ese
1 - Best

Ese was a beast. If he keeps it up I can see him being left there and Barnett moving to an edge with Fitz on the other. Jones and Guerra to drop out with Sione to the bench. By the way, hasn’t Sione been terrific! Good D and strong carries. Hope he keeps injury free and keeps improving under OB (auto text almost had me posting “improving under OBAMA then! Lols).
 
Billy has been telling us about Best for a long time now, I’m very excited to watch him develop more as a player.

I hope he is not moved into the forwards, I think it would be like moving Mal Meninga to lock.

I think we should keep an open mind.

He has a lot of skills and abilities and has already looked great in 3 or 4 positions. He could literally play any number from 1-17 except maybe 7 and do a decent job.
The coach should work out where he is best used and keep him there, but it won't hurt if he tries him out in a few spots first.
 
Best isn't going anywhere for the time being. How good is to to have a strike centre? He and the coaching staff may leave him there all his career and he may lock down the left centre position for nsw and oz for a long, long time. Two things could change that, a change in body shape/speed leaves him more suited to the forwards a la Ruben Wiki (but he has much more speed than Ruben ever had) or a player agent gets in his ear and points out that centre is probably the least paid position on the paddock and he needs to be on fb money. No examples required for that one.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
 
Although I like what the 6 again rule has done for the game im not sure about it yet .
I don't like it on the first tackle I know if I was a coach , captain or half I would rather kick for 30 or 40m and then make another 10 with the first run than have 1 extra tackle .
30 or 40 meters or so and 6 more tackles would be preferable to me , the way it is your getting 1 tackle for an infringement against you .

Have to look at what is better for the game though. I don't want to be watching the footy of last year where you would be lucky to get through a set of 6 without a penalty or stoppage of some sort. Now the game flows and fatigue is a real factor now. Far too much stopping and starting previously with defences getting time to rest, and reset all the time.

I'll take that over a kick for touch or yet another slowwwww kick for goal. The game is much better for it.
 
Have to look at what is better for the game though. I don't want to be watching the footy of last year where you would be lucky to get through a set of 6 without a penalty or stoppage of some sort. Now the game flows and fatigue is a real factor now. Far too much stopping and starting previously with defences getting time to rest, and reset all the time.

I'll take that over a kick for touch or yet another slowwwww kick for goal. The game is much better for it.
As I said I like what its done for the game and I specially like how its hit Melbourne with the wrestle.
Its more like it was 20 or 30 yrs ago when the average tackle time was about 3 or 4 seconds ..Also the fatigue factor like it was when you had 4 interchanges and that was it .
Its just that first tackle six again im not keen on especially if your in your own 1/4 or so you only get 1 more tackle that's not enough imo but I will take it for what its done to the game.
 
His defensive work ethic must reinforce the confidence on his edge .
They looked impenetrable when they kept their line- the exception was the Papali try when the outside ran in and left the line in disarray - everyone knows if you run in make it stick.
Bradman did stick to Williams but he got the offload unfortunately. We couldn't really stop him because guerra was wrong footed going in the opposite direction. I'll forgive the team for that papalli try. Haha
 
Anyone else notice since the faster nrl rules centres are more effective now. Almost all the games in the last 2 rounds, good strike centres are scoring or making nice plays. I think its great to see centres playing more instead of the whole defensive centre thing in recent times.
 
Guess Best will play where the coach wants him and the need is greatest.

Sione's defence has been a revelation under Obi, but he did miss Papalli when he broke through and scored.
 
Guess Best will play where the coach wants him and the need is greatest.

Sione's defence has been a revelation under Obi, but he did miss Papalli when he broke through and scored.

Papalli is a very difficult player to tackle, he has done it to the Blues at origin level as well.
 
Also last year's GF against the "best" defensive team on the line.

The Raiders pulled off that play with Papali multiple times last year against the Storm both times in Melbourne and the Souths the week before the GF. The roosters probably were expecting that play at some point hence the ploy to ‘accidently’ tackle Papali without the ball.

I don’t think that was planned for against us but he was at the right place at the right time.

It does seem like in games now the players are more selective about when they want to come out of the line and make those impact one on one tackles and when to hold the defensive line and wait for more support to slide and cover...as opposed to Sione coming out and then being bumped off to allow another’s 10m gain from the ball carrier type of plays.
 
Back
Top