Round 3: Newcastle Knights vs Penrith Panthers

What is your prediction for this game ??

  • Knights 13+

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Knights 1-12

    Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Draw

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Panthers 1-12

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Panthers 13+

    Votes: 1 5.6%

  • Total voters
    18
  • Poll closed .
Mann had his best game in the halves for us. He had to. But he's never going to be a quality 5/8. Hoy might be if we work on his skills.
 
Probably not, but I mean longer term. That said, Obi swapped Shibs out unexpectedly this week, so I wouldn't be surprised if Mann is dropped. Harsh call on him if that happens next week though.
I'm not sold on him yet… He needs some time in reserves to show he can defend (and has more than just his pace) before he's thrown into the halves.
 
I was proud of that. Full of doubt that we'd get a result in the lead up without Brailey, Ponga and Barnett.
Defence was great- if you needed any proof that O'Brien can coach it came today in Siones defensive effort - Klemmer has also developed an offload in the last 6 months which has made a hell of a difference.
Not sure what my thoughts are on the whole Mann debate going on here but I think Hoy will be in that role sooner than later.
My two (maybe controversial) best efforts to to Best and Hunt.i think they had a carry out of our end every set. Understand best may have blown the winner but we wouldn't have even been there without him. Special mention to the saifitis and Randall's tackling effort.
Just stoked all round.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
You aren't allowed to drink beer on a bus anymore, but I think the boys would have still had a great trip home.
 
I'm surprised we're bagging out Mann. Yer he's not the greatest 5/8, but he has a well built team around him. It's not very often we're going to find Ponga, Pearce, Brailey & Watson out and even then I think he stood up decently. We were barely playing with a 9 in that game, and I'm not even sure who slotted into 6, if anyone even did?
Was not a fan of Randalls service in the first half, but it got much better as the game went on.
In a game where I think everyone played well (obviously a couple of mistakes cost us, but overall a great effort), D.Saf was the standout for me. His intensity in the second half really brought us back into it. Big runs, big hits & just kept going.
 
I'm surprised we're bagging out Mann. Yer he's not the greatest 5/8, but he has a well built team around him. It's not very often we're going to find Ponga, Pearce, Brailey & Watson out and even then I think he stood up decently. We were barely playing with a 9 in that game, and I'm not even sure who slotted into 6, if anyone even did?
Was not a fan of Randalls service in the first half, but it got much better as the game went on.
In a game where I think everyone played well (obviously a couple of mistakes cost us, but overall a great effort), D.Saf was the standout for me. His intensity in the second half really brought us back into it. Big runs, big hits & just kept going.
Sione went into the halves after Watson went off. But just seemed to play as an extra back rower.
 
Been saying Lino should be the number 6 all along. Mann has never been FG standard and never will be.

Cost you a point today that I have no doubt about.
I enjoyed watching Lino play, he does have a unorthodox style of play i must say but it works haha. I remember some games of him last year giving Ramien some nice ball and open space which was something Knights struggled to do all year.
 
DSaf is becoming some sort of prop, loving his controlled aggression

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

You could see he was something special from the moment he debuted. Always dumbfounded me how some certain people on here would criticise him for not being the full package yet at the age of 23/24. He's really coming into his own now.
 
51 tackles from Brodie Jones.
He averages just over 20 tackles a game in reserve grade because he hits hard and not many people run at him twice.
He probably wasn't hitting too hard after 51 tackles in firstgrade, but good on him for keeping turning up to tackle Kikau and crew 51 times.
A few years ago we all raved about Guerra making 50 tackles playing the same position.
 
I’m honestly still in awe from yesterday’s game. Like I’m genuinely shocked at what I witness, and I’m so proud of that effort from the boys. Will be a game to remember for a while despite not actually winning.

Randall and Jones’ defensive efforts on debut were absolutely enormous and beyond impressive. Randall’s service was a little shaky to begin with but he grew with confidence as the game went on. Both the Saifiti’s were outstanding, Jacob looks like a man possessed this year. Klemmer was, well, Klemmer, Sione handled Kikau well I thought. Lee had a bit of a stinker but got us back into the game. Best is going to be a beast for us, he just needs as much early ball as possible.

Without Pearce, Ponga, Watson, Brailey, Barnett, Fitzgibbon, Shibasaki and Glasby for a small period that was a phenomenal display and we were out on our feet for the majority of the game. We look like a much different team under Obi.
 
Klem ran 252 meters and made 41 tackles in 66 minutes! Wow!

Dan ran 251 meters and made 46 tackles in 70 minutes! Wow!

Jacob ran 125 meters and made 38 tackles in 42 minutes.

Glasby ran 95 meters and made 59 tackles in 60 minutes.
 
If you give Glasby a pass (he was close enough) I think every player ran for at least 100m except for Jones, Randall and Sione (who was the notional halfback).

Hoy 184m
Lee 160m
Tuala 122m
Best 186m
Hunt 179m
Mann 133m
Herman 109m
Guerra 115m
 
Klem ran 252 meters and made 41 tackles in 66 minutes! Wow!

Dan ran 251 meters and made 46 tackles in 70 minutes! Wow!

Jacob ran 125 meters and made 38 tackles in 42 minutes.

Glasby ran 95 meters and made 59 tackles in 60 minutes.
If our forwards keep playing like that with a full strength backline we win more games then lose for sure. Also if Edrick Lee dosent kick his foot in the Panthers second try we win that game.
Just truly an amazing effort from the entire team:newcastle:
 
I wasn't actually looking at the stats throughout the game, but the fox commentators mentioned none of our guys had passed 100m at half time. For that many of our guys to make triple digits, and Klem and Dan to go 250 is an insane second half effort if true.
 
Back
Top