Round 1: Knights v Dragons - Hunter Stadium

Pick the margin:


  • Total voters
    57
  • Poll closed .

Ms.Nobody

Banned
telstra2007.jpg

The wait is OVER!

Round 1

Knights%20VS%20Dragons_White.gif


Newcastle Knights v St George Illawarra Dragons
Hunter Stadium - Newcastle
Thursday 1st March
Kick off 7:30pm (NSW TIME)
Channel 9 live 7:30pm
Toyota Cup Knights v Dragons 5.15pm (NSW TIME)

Referees: Matt Ceccin & Ashley Klein
Sideline Officials: Paul Holland and Ricky MacFarlane
Video Ref: Russell Smith

TICKETS - INFORMATION & PURCHASING HERE

lineupcopy.jpg


1.Darius Boyd
2. James McManus
3. Wes Naiqama
4. Timana Tahu
5. Akuila Uate
6. Kurt Gidley (c)
7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Kade Snowden
9. Danny Buderus
10. Adam Cuthbertson
11. Chris Houston
12. Zeb Taia
13. Neville Costigan

14. Matt Hilder
15. Richie Fa'aoso
16. Joel Edwards
17. Alex McKinnon

Coach: Wayne Bennett



Dragons Line Up: 1. Kyle Stanley 2. Brett Morris 3. Beau Scott 4. Matt Cooper 5. Jason Nightingale 6. Jamie Soward 7. Ben Hornby (c) 8. Jeremy Latimore 9. Mitch Rein 10. Michael Weyman 11. Matt Prior 12. Ben Creagh 13. Dean Young
Interchange: 14. Nathan Fien 15. Leeson Ah Mau 16. Trent Merrin 17. Jack De Belin



All Discussion on the game in this thread - Pre Match (First Try Scorer, Predictions) Live Scores & Post Match Thoughts.
​
 
We haven't got a great record at all against them suprisingly at home. Haven't won against them in 9 or so years in Newcastle.

I think that will change come Thursday night.

Knights 32 Dragons 10.
 
Massive game for us, new coach, new team, new season, new active supporters group. Let's go ****ing mental. Knights to get home in a close one 26-22. Crowd to be 31,286.
 
Newcastle Knights coach Wayne Bennett is set to expose weakneses at St George Illawarra

327565-darius-boyd.jpg
Constantly improving: New Knight Darius Boyd. Picture: Robert Mckell Source: The Daily Telegraph


Darius Boyd, who will face his former Dragons teammates for the first time on Thursday night at Ausgrid Stadium, said Newcastle coach Wayne Bennett will target the men who helped him to win a premiership by exposing weaknesses he once tried to hide.

Boyd also said Bennett's premiership-winning blueprint has been applied to Newcastle.

"They will know a few things that we do and we will know a few things about them," Boyd said.

"We will look at them for sure and will know a few things. Wayne obviously knows a few things and will tell us to target certain things.

"He has picked up a thing or two over the years coaching there and he will use it."

With four days to go before the mouthwatering season-opener, Boyd said Bennett had already instilled a Dragons-style mentality at the Knights.

"What he is doing is very similar to what he did at the Dragons," Boyd said.

"It feels a lot like that. You need to start somewhere and find the base. He has done that; gone through the defence and attack and started coming up with game plans.

"He is figuring what will work out for this team and these players, and it is the same thing he did at St George. We are going over the basics and everyone is working out what Wayne wants, what Wayne expects."

After developing into one of the game's premier fullbacks, Boyd controversially walked out on the Dragons to join Bennett at the Knights.

He said he has no regrets about the decision.

"It was tough leaving the Dragons," Boyd said.

"All the boys were good to me, as was the club. I probably had my three best years ever there and developed into the footballer I am now.

"It was hard to leave, but in saying that I don't regret my decision. I think I can become a better player and a better person here in Newcastle under Wayne. That is why I came here. Wayne has been great to me and that was the main reason for my decision."

Coming up against his former club in a long-anticipated clash holds no fears for the Queensland Origin star.

"It is always good to play against your mates," Boyd said.

"I know there will be a lot of hype. Wayne is coming up against his former club and me against my old teammates

"There hasn't been much banter and I am actually looking forward to seeing a lot of them."

Boyd, who has no doubts the Dragons will continue to be a force under rookie coach Steve Price, vowed to improve even more this year at the Knights.

"I am not perfect, on the field or off," Boyd said.

"I can always improve and that is what I am about. I will never be happy, even when I finish my career. I want to be the best player I can be and will do all I can to get that.

"You can't stop aspiring to be better. It is about putting in the effort and I want to keep on raising the bar.

"Every year, every player in this game gets faster and stronger. The skill level is constantly raised. You have to go with them, match all the freakish kids that are coming through. You need to set the bar if you can and that is what I want to do."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...george-illawarra/story-e6frexnr-1226281325273
 
Last edited:
1st Gidley
Last nightingale
Score knights 26 dragons 10
Also have a special feeling that houston will score
MOTM will be a new recruit i reckon either snowden or cuthbertson or bedsy
 
Last edited:
Newcastle 23
St George 16

First try - Buderus from close range out of dummy half
Last try - Uate
MOTM - Gidley
Crowd - more than Melbourne get in a season
 
Back
Top