Recruitment And Retention Discussion

For example I think it’s extremely unlikely both Cogger and Gamble end up seeing out their contracts.

In which case we'll need another backup half like keeping Arthur. It doesn't move the needle.

The list of forwards for 2026 are basically all guys POS has either signed or extended, he's not going to be moving them on.

Tom Cant
Mat Croker
Phoenix Crossland
Lachlan Crouch
Cody Hopwood
Brodie Jones
Dylan Lucas
Francis Manuleleua
Jermaine McEwen
Jacob Saifiti
Elijah Salesa-Leaumoana
Wil Sullivan
Peter Hola
*Friz/Papa
*Saulo
 
The list of forwards for 2026 are basically all guys POS has either signed or extended, he's not going to be moving them on.

Why not? Clubs sign/re-sign players all the time and then move them on if they sense they can find better options. The players themselves start looking elsewhere if they realise they’re not going to be getting a run. Things change all the time. A month ago I doubt we’d be looking for another hooker.
 
POS and Parr have both shown they'll let anyone go if they don't think they are a good fit.
It's not a bad thing.
Parr always does his best to find a new place for them to go.
 
Surely they don’t move on players they thought were a good fit 6 months prior. I think it’s quite a logical point being put forward by Slots.

Not 6 months but a guy like Tom Cant for example was re-signed last year before we signed some new props and the likes of McEwan and ESL have come into first grade. Situations change all the time.

Annan will be moved on soon I’d imagine as he doesn’t look close to first grade.

We also have 1 too many backs with first grade experience if Gagai re-signs for a balanced squad IMO.
 
I think there will be other moves on in current top 30 before next season for sure. Doubt one of Gamble or Cogger survives, but I don’t think people on here should be sleeping on the current recruitment of forwards. It’s more about attitude which a few players have already shown in spades.

McEwen
Elijah
have been a breath of fresh air with their mentality in games that I think lifted some senior players. They took that to the Cup game last week and beat a quality side.
Crouch was super impressive attitude wise in that game and I’m excited to see where he goes with that.

With current signings we have a depth of
Jsaf
Jones
Croker
Elijah
Crouch
Hola
Saulo

With likes of McEwen, Cant, who can also play middle. And please don’t sleep on Cant that kid is going to continue to get better.

Add either Friz resigning and the signing of Papa or Mooney level signing and the forward stocks are well impressive.

With another 9 being required we’ll need some more movement.

Of the top 30 for next year I can see Annan being moved to a development deal or year long T&T. McCarthy could be moved on as we have Hunt locking in the centre spot and if gags and Frizz retire we realistically only need to replace one of them.
 
Just saw on Canberra facebook page they are releasing him. Despite injuries to their rep duties and forwards doesn't same to have seen much first grade time?
22 games in 2023, 8 in 2024.

I thought he was a dumb one to let go back in 2022 … he was just starting to hit his stride and provide some good impact off the bench. And he wouldn’t have been an expensive re-signing. So I’m happy with the decision to bring him back … he’ll play a role for us somewhere, bench most likely, and do it well.

He’d have been a god send at the start of this year with the huge forward injury toll.
 
It will be interesting to see how Sean O'Sullivan goes tonight (and beyond as Nikorima is out for 6 weeks), if the Knights are looking for a budget upgrade on Cogs/backup 7, might get a discount considering who his dad is....

That said, I'm still hopeful they keep Jake Arthur, as no official ESL signing announced AFAIK.
 
2025 mid season recruits

1 Cullen Gray - Union
2 Dom Young - Roosters
3 Marcus Dac're - Canada Union
4 Sully Hoad - Queensland
5
6 Mitch Henderson - Canberra via Qld cup
7 Jake Arthur - Manly
8 Wil Sullivan - Qld cup
9 Aydon Hoad - Qld
10 Lachlan Crouch - Cronulla
11 Dylan Coyte - Manly
12
13 Mason Teague - Dolphins

14 Ryder Williams - Titans
 
Back
Top