Off contract options

Doesn't really warrant it's own thread, Isaac Luke is potentially looking at being squeezed out by the Warriors. He had a horrible first year at the Warriors but has picked it up a bit since. It's a shame we have Levi and Griffin both on the books but it would have been a great stop gap solution while Griffin recovers. And I don't think he would consider a one year deal to come here.

Doesn't really warrant it's own thread, Isaac Luke is potentially looking at being squeezed out by the Warriors. He had a horrible first year at the Warriors but has picked it up a bit since. It's a shame we have Levi and Griffin both on the books but it would have been a great stop gap solution while Griffin recovers. And I don't think he would consider a one year deal to come here.

That'd be an interesting scenario, having 3 Kiwi Test hookers in the same squad

Surely we need another hooker for next year? I have my doubts Slade will play at all next season, as I’ve said before I’d be happy for Watson to play 9

The problem with depending on Watson to cover hooker should Levi get injured is who then plays f/b or 5/8, Ponga can play either but no matter how you look at it we are short covering 6, 7 & 9 as we currently stand. Think Buhrer will be resigned to cover 6 & 9 until Griff is back but we are still short. Starling could cover but it's short term at this stage.

The problem with depending on Watson to cover hooker should Levi get injured is who then plays f/b or 5/8, Ponga can play either but no matter how you look at it we are short covering 6, 7 & 9 as we currently stand. Think Buhrer will be resigned to cover 6 & 9 until Griff is back but we are still short. Starling could cover but it's short term at this stage.
Either way we have to bring in more players as you say, but if I had it my way we'd be leaving KP @ fullback moving Connor to hooker or bench hooker and bringing in another 5/8.

Yates was touted as a possible short shift hooker fill in, we have Watson who can cover hooker but would need either a new 5/8 or a fullback.

For mine the smart move is to move Watson to the bench to cover hooker and injuires to the backs, get rid of buhrer to reserves, bring in a new fullback or 5/8 depending on where Ponga wants to play which seems to be fullback.

The easier move is to leave Watson at 5/8, ponga at FB and train up yates or bring in another hooker to spell Levi for 20 minutes.

He is 1 year into a 3 year deal and has been their best player. Why would they be getting rid of him?

AND a lot of their current form problems is because of no Maloney.

And Ash Taylor needs more than a role model.

For what it’s worth many people have asked Toohey on twitter and he doesn’t seem to think we’d approach him again.

Reading between the lines I’m guessing Maloney didn’t show any interest what so ever in coming here last time around.

For my money Maloney is worth consideration , wherever he goes he has the ability to lift them too another level, I won’t say his contribution is underestimated but I will say his effect on a team is under valued.
When last we approached him we did not have Pearce and they have a proven track record together . He is good mates with Guerra and we have since shown we have the makings of a team who could utilise his skill set as it complements our current roster, may well have a changed result if we go after him this time to strengthen our 2019-2020 window.
Is he alone what we are lacking certainly not, we still need quality Props to lay a platform.

Reactions: ben
looks like Barba is signing with the cowgirls.
I was thinking yes that might mean Val Holmes could be available but Barba is only signing for 1 year. So Holmes to the Cowboys in 2020 still fits.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth many people have asked Toohey on twitter and he doesn’t seem to think we’d approach him again.

Reading between the lines I’m guessing Maloney didn’t show any interest what so ever in coming here last time around.

Fair, dont think we need him now anyway.

Back