Newcastle Chants

GODLEY

Jason Edwards
Whoever was at tonight's game would've heard the Willie Mason chant... And it was quiet entertaining!
Got the feel of an a-league or an epl match where people cheer for the whole 80mins.... Except this was for 5...
Wanted to know some peoples thoughts on starting a section for home and away games, specifically for people who want to chant throughout the game!
 
Whoever was at tonight's game would've heard the Willie Mason chant... And it was quiet entertaining!
Got the feel of an a-league or an epl match where people cheer for the whole 80mins.... Except this was for 5...
Wanted to know some peoples thoughts on starting a section for home and away games, specifically for people who want to chant throughout the game!

Haha were you one of the guys standing right next to me dude....I remember chatting to some guy from western sydney, I was the bloke in the diadora jacket/knights jersey. That hey willie mason chant was a massive lol.

Yes will admit one of the better away trip experiences, credit to beeto with the....'we have a big willie banner'

Was great to have nearly 25 or so knights fans on the eastern hill :)

Again banners/flags will deff help people become more motivated towards standing together and being united especially on the hill etc, hence why st george, souths & bulldogs have good armies as they have good quality banners. Also was a great mix of open minded individuals something I have struggled to see over the years at knights games.

Have to admit I am starting to enjoy away trips alot more then home games in recent seasons & I think it can only get better :)

Seemed to be a much better atmosphere there then last weeks game where we had 22,000 (especially for continual consistent atmosphere)
 
Last edited:
Haha were you one of the guys standing right next to me dude....I remember chatting to some guy from western sydney, I was the bloke in the diadora jacket/knights jersey. That hey willie mason chant was a massive lol.

Yes will admit one of the better away trip experiences, credit to beeto with the....'we have a big willie banner'

Was great to have nearly 25 or so knights fans on the eastern hill :)

Again banners/flags will deff help people become more motivated towards standing together and being united especially on the hill etc, hence why st george, souths & bulldogs have good armies as they have good quality banners. Also was a great mix of open minded individuals something I have struggled to see over the years at knights games.

Have to admit I am starting to enjoy away trips alot more then home games in recent seasons & I think it can only get better :)

Seemed to be a much better atmosphere there then last weeks game where we had 22,000 (especially for continual consistent atmosphere)

Haha yeah it must of been one of my cousins.... :P
definately think it should get started, definitely gives it a better atmosphere!
 
Haha were you one of the guys standing right next to me dude....I remember chatting to some guy from western sydney, I was the bloke in the diadora jacket/knights jersey. That hey willie mason chant was a massive lol.

Yes will admit one of the better away trip experiences, credit to beeto with the....'we have a big willie banner'

Was great to have nearly 25 or so knights fans on the eastern hill :)

Again banners/flags will deff help people become more motivated towards standing together and being united especially on the hill etc, hence why st george, souths & bulldogs have good armies as they have good quality banners. Also was a great mix of open minded individuals something I have struggled to see over the years at knights games.

Have to admit I am starting to enjoy away trips alot more then home games in recent seasons & I think it can only get better :)

Seemed to be a much better atmosphere there then last weeks game where we had 22,000 (especially for continual consistent atmosphere)

My voice is still struggling today, great effort by everyone there. Good have a group standing together on the hill. Plenty of laughs despite the result.
 
When Willie got the ball, how everyone yelled MASOOOON! Reminded me of whenever Fui gets the ball for Parra. Love it :)
 
When Willie got the ball, how everyone yelled MASOOOON! Reminded me of whenever Fui gets the ball for Parra. Love it :)

Haha I think everyone was yelling out willieeeeee & yeah completely agree. Really loving that chant not sure who came up with it but it seems to have caught on well.

Regardless hopefully we have a good ammount of knights fans down at the dragons game in round 5. First thing next shift at work getting the date off :)
 
Haha I think everyone was yelling out willieeeeee & yeah completely agree. Really loving that chant not sure who came up with it but it seems to have caught on well.

Regardless hopefully we have a good ammount of knights fans down at the dragons game in round 5. First thing next shift at work getting the date off :)

Will be there for Round 5 :D Cant wait!
 
Quality photo of the willie banner at brookie :)

attachment.php
 
I remember seeing this sign on the tv, made me laugh so hard, hope this sign makes and appearance on monday at hunter.
 
I remember seeing this sign on the tv, made me laugh so hard, hope this sign makes and appearance on monday at hunter.

I'm going to try and make it there Monday night. Don't finish work in Sydney til 5pm, hopefully I get there in time. Bay 1 boys and girls?
 
The only problem with bay 1 is its reserved seating and there is less chance of standing and holding the banner up Beeto. Back of the southern hill works alot better & has abit of a better view anyways....I couldn't have alot of fun streaming bombing when I was sitting down at the front against the tigers. Hopefully will be making alot of passionate mess on monday night :)

Overall the lack of standing at home games is beyond a joke.

P.s Nice photo bomb by myself in the willie banner.
 
Last edited:
Haha I think everyone was yelling out willieeeeee & yeah completely agree. Really loving that chant not sure who came up with it but it seems to have caught on well.

Regardless hopefully we have a good ammount of knights fans down at the dragons game in round 5. First thing next shift at work getting the date off :)

Or Tooki for the Warriors.

- - - Updated - - -

When Willie got the ball, how everyone yelled MASOOOON! Reminded me of whenever Fui gets the ball for Parra. Love it :)

Sorry, wrong quote.

Or Tooki for the Warriors.
 
*bump* Should turn this thread into a knights active supporters thread, to concentrate on anyone with banners, fan made flags etc

I shall be there on sunday at koagarah....who else is heading down?

Funny enough I somehow got a nanana hey goodbye chant going from the south end seats right near the goalposts, plus helped contribute with some come on newcastles, New-cas-tle etc towards games end.

That fence down makes a good drum :)
 
I was pretty disappointed with the chants last night, I thought there were a number of times when the Knights were on the attack and the game was still in the balance when a NEW-CAS-TLE chant would be ideal, think I only heard it twice all game!
 
oh that was you I thought so

Haha yeah....were you nearby?

Part of the blame of the Newcastle chant not getting up as much these days junior 11 is due to alot of the stadium being in reserved seating and away fans sitting amongst the home fans. Unfortunately the mentality of some fans see chanting and cheering at games should only be for the drunk, mentally disabled or children as they are quite used to a quite hunter stadium.

On Friday evening when the western Sydney wanderers came to Newcastle in the a-league.....many jets fans were moved to other seats to accommodate a large traveling western Sydney wanderers crowd so that mentality is seen at a-league games in Newcastle by some fans aswell.

Another issue is that some fans are too used to having the same reserved seats every season. I'm lucky I have a decent amount of mates and acquaintances I know on the south hill/seats.
 
Does anyone else remember the guys that had all the banners/big flags in the North/Eastern corner at home games? They had the GODLEY banner and some other massive flags and stuff, on the stepped bank in the corner, I'd say they probably stopped doing it 2 years ago(?), but they always were a sight to see and I think that would be a good spot to set up stuff like this for a few reasons:

  • It is in general admission so you can stand etc
  • It isn’t in the middle of the hill where it is too busy to wave flags/hold banners
  • It is right in the middle of two different sets of supporters, the hill and the grandstand, so you can get two areas onto the chants
  • It is in good visibility for the TV cameras – you get shown on TV and more people might be keen to join in
  • The stepped banks provide a really good view, plus you can have people on each level with banners without getting in the way of the visibility of the people behind them
I’d suggest doing it in the South/East corner but I think that is where the away supporters usually sit? In past years that’s where the burrow/Red V army or whatever they call themselves etc have set up.
 
Haha yeah....were you nearby?

Part of the blame of the Newcastle chant not getting up as much these days junior 11 is due to alot of the stadium being in reserved seating and away fans sitting amongst the home fans. Unfortunately the mentality of some fans see chanting and cheering at games should only be for the drunk, mentally disabled or children as they are quite used to a quite hunter stadium.

On Friday evening when the western Sydney wanderers came to Newcastle in the a-league.....many jets fans were moved to other seats to accommodate a large traveling western Sydney wanderers crowd so that mentality is seen at a-league games in Newcastle by some fans aswell.

Another issue is that some fans are too used to having the same reserved seats every season. I'm lucky I have a decent amount of mates and acquaintances I know on the south hill/seats.

I really do admire your passion. In the formative years of the Club some of the "cheering" done would make the younger blokes of today look like complete novices. I remember beating Balmain on a Sunday arvo which meant we played off against them the following Wednesday night at Parramatta Stadium for the last semi final spot. Bruce McGuire missed the game on the Sunday due to the birth of his first Child. On the Wednesday night I leaned over the fence, McGuire was on the sideline waiting for the kick off, and I very loudly asked him how was his wife and my kid. We had purchased a Tiger on the way in and proceeded at every opportunity to bend the Tiger over which infuriated their supporters. Shame we didn't win. That aside once again your reference to "some fans thinking that cheering should only be for the drunk, mentally disabled or children" to be poor form. How about leaving the "mentally disabled" out of the equation.
 
Back
Top