Let's be honest its time for our team for 2021!

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Lord of the Skraelings, Mar 27, 2020.

1. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Great work Obi suggested this back before Round 1. If Tex had started then would be pretty well experienced by now.

Alternatively if Randall fires, Mann back to the halves.

2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Dropping Tex in with no training for the spot and then throwing him on the scrapheap would be what I like to call a "Brown move".
    O'Brien could have used him as a utility this year, but he has spent 3 months getting him ready for 5/8 instead.

3. knightime

knightime Andrew Hodge

In fairness to Brown, he didn’t really have the cattle and the luxury of keeping kids out until they were ready. That said, Brown would have Tex at prop and Crossland in the centres most likely.

4. danknights

danknights Matthew Gidley

What?! Don't you mean they'd both be playing hooker at the same time :lol::lol:

knightime likes this.
  5. Ethan

Ethan Matthew Johns

Lachan Lam apparently hasn't resigned with the chooky's yet , Joey has a big rap on him and thinks he should go to another club and Fittler said the same thing.
    He wants to play halfback , what about Lam to half and Pearce to 5/8. Johnsy was very impressed by his toughness and Defence especially.
    He can play half and hooker but prefers and wants to play halfback .

6. Ethan

Ethan Matthew Johns

The Sharks want to let Moylan go and are willing to pay a % of his $900,000 contract but again he has played 43 games in 3 seasons so he has missed about 27 games through injury more than a season out .
    I know were looking for a good 5/8 but at $900,000 a year id say no, im not that big a fan of his anyway.

7. Levil Kinevil

Levil Kinevil Slappin the bass mon

baker
    Dudes a bust and he is busted aswell. No thanks

8. Lefty

Lefty Todd Bates

Retired
    Moylan is another injury prone playmaker with issues.

The Knights have had their fingers burnt with Griffin and Moga and they have made it clear they will not sign injury prone players again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. cowboyman

cowboyman Jarrod Mullen

Hospitality
    You’re better off getting Foran instead of Moylan. At least he provides experience and quality to have around the club. Moylan provides absolutely nothing.

10. Billy

It's pretty clear that Hoy is being groomed for 5/8 next year.
    He seems to be O'Brien's "project" player.
    O'Brien made it fairly clear when he arrived that he wants a "running" 5/8 and after the 9s he decided Hoy is the boy.
    All the reports say he was training the house down till yesterday and the coach seemed pretty keen on him playing.
    I assume Hoy has been doing a lot of work on his 5/8 skills since the coach decided to not use him as a utility a few months ago.
    There was also an article recently about the coach wanting Hoy to do Judo in the off season to improve his defence.

The coach seems most impressed with Hoy's X-factor and Hoy has always been the guy who would put in a chip kick for himself on tackle 3 if the mood takes him and is always wanting to go for a run.

I suspect we'll let Lino go and Crossland will be the shadow player for Pearce next year.

11. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Todd Bates

Asset Manager
    Next year will be another premiershipless year if that’s the case Bill :(

12. danknights

danknights Matthew Gidley

Both Judo and BJJ lessons should be had by smaller "weaker" guys in the off season. Fairly similar arts but differ in strategy. Bloody good for defensive structure and body placement.

13. Billy

Randall has made some serious progress over the last year.
    He only joined the fulltime squad and switched from utility to hooker at about the last month or so of last season.
    His game yesterday was by far the best he has ever played and he certainly looks like an NRL quality hooker now.
    We have Brailey for next year, and we also have Mann, Watson and Crossland who are all part time hookers and utility players.
    If we signed Randall right now, we'd get him as back up for Brailey on minimum coin.
    If we don't find a spot for him, someone else will.

Lefty likes this.
  14. Billy

Usually at this time of year I do a post about who I think will train in the preseason from the lower grades.
    This year I have nothing to go on.

I think we will have to do some sort of pre pre-season camp or trial do for young players to try to work out which 10 or so guys get to train with our top squad.

Ones that stood out last year and deserve another chance are Baydon Searle, Mitchell Black, Dylan Lucas and of course Chris Randall, Simi Sasagi, Christian Ma'amania, Matt Croker and Luke Huth.

how the coaches decide who else is a mystery.

Defender1 likes this.