Knights possible targets for 2020

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by krustykraz, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Jaybro

Jaybro Lenny Beckett

Are you talking about Cook?

2. Wobbles

Wobbles Michael Eagar

No, I meant Isaac Luke. I'm all for chasing Cook if the terms are right

3. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Uncle Phil in the herald confirming won't be any more big signings for 2020, cap will be full and used for upgrades/bonuses.

Fitz got his upgrade now, Ponga will be due/earning all his rep bonus payments etc.

4. Jaybro

Jaybro Lenny Beckett

Toohey reckons we have 700K left in the kitty but need two more signings

Unless we offload Levi & Ross I doubt we will go after anyone over the 500K mark

But in today’s world anything is possible and by this time next year god knows who will be still at the club

5. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

If we're moving on players we will need to kick in $$$ to get rid of them.

6. Jaybro

Jaybro Lenny Beckett

Yeah that's true, unless Levi requests another release we might say yeah ok but we ain't paying you anything to go.

Ross would 100% need us to kick in a fair chunk of his deal

slotmachine likes this.
  7. krustykraz

krustykraz Daniel Abraham

8. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Adam Woolnough

Ross and Levi look like staying the problem with them going is who replaces them, how much will it cost to move them on and will suitable replacements cost more due to part paying Ross and Levi. Levi most likely starting 9 with hopefully Woolford pushing him to his best and Ross is a very good reserve grader who can cover firsts.

9. knightime

knightime Robbie O'Davis

I know it’s early for this, but what’s everyone’s thoughts on going for Jai Field from the Dragons? He’s been playing 5/8th in ISP, stats are pretty good, although I admit I haven’t seen much of his playing. He could be a good pickup, especially if we can’t find a long-term answer in Watson, Mann or Lino.

10. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

No thanks, id rather promote within our own juniors.

If i was Brown, id be looking at a top line hooker and throwing 70% of what we have leftin our cap for 2020 at them.
    Problem is, not many are available.

Apisai Koroisau, would take him.
    Mitch Rein, very solid player also.

member 2299 and knightime like this.
  11. danknights

danknights Steve Simpson

I agree with you 88 about promoting a 6 from within. Although brown has to give every hooker a go in grade at some stage to see if they can compete. So I'd like to see Woolford and also Chris Randall have a go at some stage.

12. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    No thanks no more experimental players please.

13. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I'd honestly go
    1 Ponga
    6 Buhrer
    7 Pearce
    9 Watson

Levi to bench until Griffin is back and pushing for a spot.

Though for 2020, if Watson/Levi/Griffin dont show enough for the starting 9??? Id let them seek other options and go hard for Api

14. R_A

R_A Adam Woolnough

If a player requests a release that the team says no to we should not be helping that cause and I don’t see the West’s playing hardball and helping either spending money.

Ross is also only counting towards this years cap due to his medical retirement and not for 2020z

15. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

It will be interesting to see what we do with Simi Sasagi.
    When we signed him from NZ he was a 5/8, but he couldn't get a run at 5/8 in Ball last year because we happened to have the NSW under 18s halves in Crossland and Madden, and Madden had a magic season where he won Ball player of the year for the entire comp.
    So anyway, Simi played as the super sub at centre, wing, hooker, 5/8, halfback and even lock forward at times.
    This year he started training with under 18s, was too good so went to under 20s, was too good so he went to reserve grade, was too good so he finished up training with firsts.
    Last week he came on after halftime in under 20s at 5/8 and scored 4 tries in 20 minutes.

We don't know what will happen with this kid, but he seems to be a big 5/8 or hooker who comes off the bench and has massive impact, and next year he'll be 19 and have 2 firstgrade off seasons behind him. These seem to be the positions we need to fill.

16. krustykraz

krustykraz Daniel Abraham

Next year we will need a hooker if we get rid of Levi, unless Woolford is the man.
    A winger if we don't resign SKD.
    We are looking to sign TPJ so that's a middle forward.
    And possibly a 5/8.
    Here are the 2019 off contract options,

5/8
    Blake Ayshford, Dean Blore, Lachlan Croker, Ben Hampton, Brock Lamb, Benji Marshall, Te Maire Martin

Prop
    Mitchell Allgood, Daniel Alvaro, George Burgess, Tino Fa'asuamaleaui, Jackson Frei, Danny Fualalo, Tim Grant, Braden Hamlin-Uele, Patrick Kaufusi, Max King, Jeremy Latimore, Blake Lawrie, Spencer Leniu, Tim Mannah, Sam McKendry, Thomas Mikaele, Joe Ofahengaue, Agnatius Paasi, Lloyd Perrett, Ligi Sao, Matthew Scott, Toafofoa Sipley, Jack Stockwell, Sam Tagataese, Peni Terepo, Lachlan Timm, Francis Tualau, Christian Welch, Jai Whitbread

Wing
    Brendan Elliot, Jacob Gagan, Reuben Garrick, Michael Gordon, Morgan Harper, Mawene Hiroti, Tui Katoa, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Greg Leleisiuao, Lachlan Maranta, Corey Oates, John Olive, Jordan Rapana, Jorge Taufua, Corey Thompson, Brian Too, Malakai Watene-Zelezniak

Hooker
    Kurt Baptiste, Wayde Egan, Manase Fainu, Robbie Farah, Craig Garvey, Sione Katoa, Apisai Koroisau, Karl Lawton, Michael Lichaa, Jacob Liddle, Issac Luke, Matt McIlwrick, Kaysa Pritchard, Mitch Rein, Reece Robson, Zac Woolford
    Also Slade isnt on the list and i think James Segyaro is uncontracted atm.

https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/off-contract-2019/by-position-2019/

Imo
    *There is no 5/8 worth a look on that list.
    *Only Props worth a look are Joe Ofa, Burgess & Tpj(but not for 800k+).
    *Wingers: Oates, Rapana, Skd.
    *Hookers: Segy, Luke, Apisai, Lichaa, Pritchard, Liddle, Woolword, Rein (all could be good on their day but not in great form atm). Don't see any as a big upgrade on Levi maybe Api. Also Slade depending on his recovery.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  17. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Not much at all on that list krusty. Those who might interest us will stay where they are.

18. Owey

Owey Marc Glanville

Outside backs are interesting as far as the Knights are concerned. Hunt and Skd off contract, but I believe Bradman Best has a top 30 contract for next year? Would you start blooding him on the wing? Will Starford Toa be ready to go given injuries so far this year? If we were to go with one, do we resign Hunt or Skd? In a team that has lacked some, there has been no shortage of effort from Skd this year.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

19. Lefty

Lefty Steve Walters

I think both SKD and Hunt should be resigned.

20. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

We have lots of backs coming through - Star Toa, Bradman Best, Brayden Musgrove, Mitch Andrews, Heath Gibbs, Timanu Alexander, but one guy who has had a great start to reserve grade so far is Kiah Cooper - 5 tries in 6 games and a reputation of having the best sidestep at the club apart from Ponga.
    I think we can find 1 firstgrader for next year out of that lot.