Jersey Flegg 2024

I'm a big fan of Sutton.
In 2022 his playmaking was pretty poor and he got replaced in the halves by the more experienced Kurt Donoughue as we made our run to the Flegg GF, even though Sutton was a far better athlete than Donoughue.
In 2023 he played a lot of reserve grade alongside Clune and his playmaking improved out of sight.
This year he did the firstgrade pre-season right up till the trials. Last year he only did the pre-christmas sessions.
This week he is back in reserves and playing alongside Cogger.
I expect Cogger will help him develop his skills further.
Sutton is easily the best athlete we have in the halves in any grade - he just needs to get his playmaking skills up to a firstgrade level, and reserve grade is where he needs to be to do that.
He played 12 games of reserve grade last year and 1 so far this year. He got 48 fantasy points in his one game this year.

Gotta say I've never watched Sutton and thought 'this looks like a potential first grade half.' If I'm planning for the future there's at least 4 junior halves I'd be prioritising over him and 3 of them are a few years younger.

In terms of best pure athlete among them I'd say Pryce has him covered and think Fletcher Hunt might as well.

Reactions: BTP
Gotta say I've never watched Sutton and thought 'this looks like a potential first grade half.' If I'm planning for the future there's at least 4 junior halves I'd be prioritising over him and 3 of them are a few years younger.

In terms of best pure athlete among them I'd say Pryce has him covered and think Fletcher Hunt might as well.
I do doubt he has future NRL half about him, but he is only young and Flegg comp wise he's got the team winning in comparison to last year.

I agree there are better halves out there, including QLD cup. But no harm in seeing his ability climb here. 7 wise in the club itself I don't think we have a proper organiser coming through just yet.

I do doubt he has future NRL half about him, but he is only young and Flegg comp wise he's got the team winning in comparison to last year.

I agree there are better halves out there, including QLD cup. But no harm in seeing his ability climb here. 7 wise in the club itself I don't think we have a proper organiser coming through just yet.
Meant 4 within the club. Seen more to get excited about from Linnane, Hunt & Loza already, and obviously Pryce if he can put everything together.

Sutton needs to keep working on his playmaking. He was terrible when he got here. But you can't coach a guy to be 6'4" and as fast as a winger.
I think he'll be able to do anything Gamble can do by next year, and be bigger and faster.
The best thing he has going for him though is that he was doing more tackles at higher efficiency than Clune, Miller and a lot more than Rivett from game 1 in reserves last year.

Granted I’ve only seen highlights of tries being scored, not any of the potential bad stuff, but I thought Loza “popped” more than Linnane did in what I’ve seen. Lots of what looked like very classy ball playing.

Granted I’ve only seen highlights of tries being scored, not any of the potential bad stuff, but I thought Loza “popped” more than Linnane did in what I’ve seen. Lots of what looked like very classy ball playing.
Loza has come from nowhere.
For most of the Mathews season last year the classy player was the hooker, Diesal Hagan, and Loza started looking good right at the end of the season.
This year he's going to a new level every game again.
He's still got another year of Ball and links up with Hagan again next year, and Hagan went to new levels in Mathews again this year.

I actually just started posting some players-specific highlights for Knights juniors on youtube and Linnane was one of the first I put up. Nothing fancy just putting the clips together. BYO music because I don't know how to do that and don't really want to either.

It's always a question mark how small-ish halves will translate once playing against men, and he'll be coming back from a bad injury as well, but think he's shown plenty of ability all-around in attack. Big fan of Loza as well, think he looks like more of a natural first-receiver.

Nice work MM.

I don't see a game organise just yet in Loza but he definitely put together a very nice year considering the loss of Linnane, there was some highlights in games where he had some sublime ball work. On the flip side, losing Linnane, may have brought the best out of Loza. He has that SJ, Benji Marshall feel to him. Pretty excited to see where he goes from here.

Hunt surprised us all, as previously said, clearly recruitment saw it as they signed him to a 3 year deal. He's a big boy at his age, so physically he could end up being the perfect 13 if we have a healthy Linnane and Loza. As i think may have been the plan as he was on the bench for the first game of the season.

Linnane is the most exciting, so I'm very hopefully he has a successful recovery and comes back big next yr for SG then Flegg.

Taj Blackman isn;t to be forgotton, he's in Flegg at 7 this week, think he was the SG 7 in last years GF team

Nice work MM.

I don't see a game organise just yet in Loza but he definitely put together a very nice year considering the loss of Linnane, there was some highlights in games where he had some sublime ball work. On the flip side, losing Linnane, may have brought the best out of Loza. He has that SJ, Benji Marshall feel to him. Pretty excited to see where he goes from here.
oh cool just name two of my favourite non-Knights ever, that won’t get me overhyped at all 😆

• Haha
Linnane is the most exciting, so I'm very hopefully he has a successful recovery and comes back big next yr for SG then Flegg.
Too old for Ball next year.
Flegg next year and he might get a run in reserve grade if his rehab goes well.

I actually just started posting some players-specific highlights for Knights juniors on youtube and Linnane was one of the first I put up. Nothing fancy just putting the clips together. BYO music because I don't know how to do that and don't really want to either.

It's always a question mark how small-ish halves will translate once playing against men, and he'll be coming back from a bad injury as well, but think he's shown plenty of ability all-around in attack. Big fan of Loza as well, think he looks like more of a natural first-receiver.
You’ve got yourself a subscriber mate.

Yeah, this is the first kid through our system since Bradman where I am 100% convinced we’re looking at a rep calibre player.

With the boot he’s got and the way that big frame is likely to bulk up over a first grade pre-season, I look at this kid as someone they should groom to play the 6. Looks like he has a very Matt Burtonesque skill set and frame, but with better balance and agility (I swear at times he looks like a bigger KP). I think it should be at least tried in Flegg this year and if he looks to have a feel for it - and I suspect he will, fullback & five-eighth can be very similar roles in shape in an attacking system - we’ve got to go all in on this kid. I’ve heard he comes from a family of Knights fans and grew up dreaming of playing for us, which in and of itself is a very valuable and rare trait for this club.

Good to see Votano has added a left to right long pass this year - maybe he could show Ponga.
He only scored a handful of tries this year but his try assists have gone to a new level.

Pisses me off that they haven't updated the Flegg ladder for 2 weeks.
They have us at 5th spot, but if Canberra lose and we win today, I think we go to equal 1st with Canberra and Wests.

Back