Hagan wary of Thursday footy

jamesgould

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Staff member
Admin
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/hagan-wary-of-thursday-footy/2476339.aspx

- Hagan having a whinge about the hugely successful game on Thursday night.
- Says it would be a nightmare for players and coaches to manage.


I don't see how the break between Thursday to Saturday is any different to Friday to Sunday ... then NRL just need to manage the gaps better. Personally I thought Thursday night was brilliant - much better than Monday ... which in NZ finishes at 11:00 and is too tiring to watch at the start of the week. Plus you get a huge wait all weekend for the game, if your team is playing, which is very frustrating.

I say ditch Monday for Thursday!
 
Travelling to Newcastle, not much of a fan of thursday, although monday would be the same. But I'd be happy to watch it on a thursday night, although I prefer the whole monday night football with the pre-game and post-game shows. Depending how they would set it up, I could see how it could be hard for players, especially given they always seem to setup the draw stupidly, if you went from a monday night game to a thursday, you'd have a 3 day break, not much time to recover.
 
But the NRL makes sure that no teams ever go from a Monday night game to a Friday night game, they could just do the same thing with Thursday night games.
 
No reason 2 or 3 or 4 Thursday games a year would hurt the draw. Kicking off the season and the Thursday night before good Friday are ideal Thursdays to hold it.

They should change Monday games to Thursday games. Easier for people to attend to, easier to watch on TV, and less competition from other shows means bigger ratings.
 
Thursday night was such a success but they stuffed it by putting the Eels and Broncos on which had to be one of the most boring of the round.

I don't think it's here to stay though.
 
I can't believe we still don't have Sunday Night footy - I am positive it would be the highest rating show on free to air on a regular basis. The crowds would be lowish - similar to Monday, but you could minimize the hassle by starting at 6.30pm or 7 at the latest (ie: FTA news would lead into the game).

Gallop has mentioned the possibility in passing a couple of times, I guess they are holding off to use it as a bargaining chip in the TV deal.


...As for Thursday night, I love it but I don't think you can have it every week unless you get rid of Mondays. My guess is Thursday night footy would have bigger crowds than Monday, but smaller TV audience.
 
Thursday night could be played weeks before origin, considering they are stand alone games now.

I always thought we should have a saturday afternoon game, always prefer the afternoon games
 
Back
Top