Best 19 in 2027

Hopwood's finals run was so amazing specifically because by rights we should only have been asking him to come off the bench and go Leniu mode running at tired ****s. He showed a lot of character which bodes well for the future but yeah he was starting because there was no other option. I have optimism he'll be very impactful as our premier bench middle but yeah we should be asking J Saf/Mooney to make things easier for Cody, not the other way around.
 
Hopwood's finals run was so amazing specifically because by rights we should only have been asking him to come off the bench and go Leniu mode running at tired ****s. He showed a lot of character which bodes well for the future but yeah he was starting because there was no other option. I have optimism he'll be very impactful as our premier bench middle but yeah we should be asking J Saf/Mooney to make things easier for Cody, not the other way around.
I’m just in the process of rewatching the GF. Sucker for punishment.

Whyte gets the first carry of the GF - who meets him? Hopwood.

Hopwood gets involved with I think it’s 3-4 tackles of the opening defensive set. He flies out to put contact on Collins.

We get points - who takes the first hit up - Hopwood.

Hopwood and Croker topped the tackles with 46 each. (2 and 0 missed respectively).

2026 was probably meant to be a development year. Coming off the bench as you say, for short sharp 30 minutes.
Instead he’s been thrown into the deep end.
At the start maybe a game or 2, he looks a bit out of his depth. Now he finds himself being our top forward in the GF. The improvement is staggering. If this trajectory continues he will command a starting spot soon.

He does remind me of a bit of Yeo. Similar body. Curious if he goes down a ball playing pre season or a hit ‘em hard pre season.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we opt for rotation of Safs/Mooney and Hopwood/Crouch/Niukore.
Keep the big bopper energies of Safs or Mooney out there at all times.

I think, by the end of 2027, Hopwood is one of the first names in the squad - it’s just whether it’s an 8 or 10.
 
Mooney was steadily improving with each game too until the injury occurred. If you look at his running metres for his last two months of footy or so, he was probably averaging like 140-150m a game, which is very solid.
Yehh, It’s a little frustrating to think the impact Safs/Mooney/Crossland could have had during the GF.

Crazy to think, with those 3 available, Hopwood and Frizz are off the bench. And only one of Crouch/Saulo/Lucas/Cant gets a game.
 
1. Ponga
2. Young
3. Winter**
4. Best
5. Marzhew
6. Sharpe
7. Brown
8. Jsaf
9. Crossland
10. Mooney
11. Lucas
12. Manulelua*
13. Croker*

14. Graham
15. Mckewen*
16. Hopwood
17. nuikore
18. Smith
19. Hunt**

* Not sure on which way to go.
with franks skillset he could develop into one of the best locks in the game.

** Winter has the higher ceiling. May be a case of hunt starting the year at centre.
 
I am assuming there will be natural progression, so I’d look at a team like this

1 - Ponga
2 - Young
3 - Winter
4 - Best
5 - Marzhew
6 - Sharpe
7 - Brown (Smith till Brown returns from injury)
8 - Safiti
9 - Crossland
10 - Mooney
11 - Manuleleua (on the left)
12 - Lucas (on the right)
13 - McEwen

14 - Smith (Graham until Brown returns)
15 - Hopwood
16 - Crouch
17 - Croker
18 - Hunt
19 - Graham

20 - Hagan
21 - ESL
22 - Nuikore
23 - McCarthy

Marzhew and Hunt I am finding it difficult to decide which way to go. Marshes gives us good go forward, which helps the forwards out, but has an issue under the high ball. Hunt is much better under the high ball, but doesn’t offer as much in yardage. I’ve gone with Marshew as he had a great season for us and deserves first shot

I’ve gone Winter replacing Gagai because I was impressed with his first grade debut and think he is the next best centre

Id go Hunt on the bench because of his versatility, which kinda sucks for him, but he can easily come on and play centre, wing or fullback without us having to move multiple players around. It also means Sharpe can stay at 5/8 and focus solely on that

Smith will be halfback until Brown returns, then he would go to the bench as the 14. Graham would start at 14 and go to 19 once Brown returns

I’d like Manuleleua on the left as he and Sharpe have formed a good combo and he is so destructive in attack and defence on the left, which I don’t think would be nearly as effective on the right

I’d have Lucas on the right. He is a class player and I believe he could adapt his game to play on the right side quickly in the preseason, running off Brown as well.

McEwen I’d play lock because he loves the collision. I’m just not sure what his ball playing is like, which is my only concern. I know it is extremely harsh on Croker as he never did anything wrong. It’s just the other guys have surpassed him and they need to start and play as close to 80 minutes each week
 
I get what you're all saying about Saifiti and Mooney starting, but I do like the idea of having one shoring up the bench, so we have top level go forward out there for 80 minutes. The mid-game loss of momentum was still a big problem this year. Until Saifiti and Mooney went, and it became an 80 minute loss of momentum! That I still don't quite know how we counteracted!
 
For mine, McEwen starts; too important defensively, Francis offers better impact off the bench...but honestly, I think Holbrook rotates them constantly for matchup, impact and load/minor injury management reasons throughout the season. Similarly, I think he rotates the props, and Hopwood starts some games, and he does the same at lock with Crokes, Marta and possibly Crossland to play Graham.

Not so much a selection headache for Holbrook, but usually for the Knights and an advantage in having some depth if he uses it well. It's a long season.

I'd also have Hunt starting ahead of Winter at this stage unless we're no hope of retaining him.
 
For mine, McEwen starts; too important defensively, Francis offers better impact off the bench...but honestly, I think Holbrook rotates them constantly for matchup, impact and load/minor injury management reasons throughout the season. Similarly, I think he rotates the props, and Hopwood starts some games, and he does the same at lock with Crokes, Marta and possibly Crossland to play Graham.

Not so much a selection headache for Holbrook, but usually for the Knights and an advantage in having some depth if he uses it well. It's a long season.

I'd also have Hunt starting ahead of Winter at this stage unless we're no hope of retaining him.
Yep just said something similar in another thread. We have the opportunity to load manage. Justin literally rested Kalyn Ponga in one game this season because he had a bit of tightness.
 
Back
Top