Bailey Hodgson

cowboyman

Andrew 'Joey' Johns
If he was really that good he would of played far more FG games by now when you look at the plod former NRL players in SL squads.

Expecting anything from him this year is blind faith. You probably should be hoping you don’t see him in FG this year as it is likely meaning you have a stack of injuries or seriously out of form players.

Lord of the Skraelings

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Not everybody plays first grade at 18 years old either thats something to be excited about ..

To be fair it is the ESL, I'd rate them about the same standard as NSW cup.

A lot of the noise around him does sound promising though, I am probably more excited at the prospect of having Dom Young on a Wing and Eddy on the other.

EDIT Whoops I thought based on thread we were talking about Bailey.

packo

:) (:
Haven’t seen enough of him. Looks similar to Tomkins/Jarred Sammit? Zammit I think his name was from Penrith years ago.

Defender1

Ben Kennedy
Have you seen him?
He's 2cm taller than Edrick and moves like a panther.
He might be a complete dud, but he looks like the most athletic guy in the squad.
No ones seen much of him... because he couldn't get a gig in the Super League and there's bugger all footage of him haha... He definitely looks big and strong though. Hopefully the gamble pays off.

Defender1

Ben Kennedy
Not everybody plays first grade at 18 years old either thats something to be excited about ..
If he'd done in the Super League what Brandman has done at NRL level and as a junior I'd be more excited.... Has he played for England in juniors etc?

Ethan

Adam MacDougall
No ones seen much of him... because he couldn't get a gig in the Super League and there's bugger all footage of him haha... He definitely looks big and strong though. Hopefully the gamble pays off.
I read that he had numerous SL teams after him and Union teams as well so not only did he play 1st grade at 18 he had plenty of teams after him . As far as ( No one's seen much of him )Alex McKinnon has been following him for quite some, time so he has seen a fair bit of him and thought enough of him to make sure we got him .

Kurriboy

Matthew Gidley
If he'd done in the Super League what Brandman has done at NRL level and as a junior I'd be more excited.... Has he played for England in juniors etc?

Geez we can be a terminal bunch sometimes.

I'm sure a little excitement about a young prospect imported is ok yeah?

Better than winning spoons, nobody wanting to come here except other teams fringe first graders and has beens looking for that last paycheck.

Defender1

Ben Kennedy
Geez we can be a terminal bunch sometimes.

I'm sure a little excitement about a young prospect imported is ok yeah?

Better than winning spoons, nobody wanting to come here except other teams fringe first graders and has beens looking for that last paycheck.

No kidding!

You go for it and be as excited as you like.

Hopefully he turns out to be a future immortal, but I'm happy to wait and have a look at him before I pass judgement on how good he might be. I don't think its unreasonable to ask about his credentials though either... is it? It's a genuine question, other than his physical presence, what's he done that makes him so exciting? Not too many on here would have seen him play, or had even heard of him before he signed with the Knights. If you have I'm interested to hear thoughts on how he goes.

And as for signings; we've signed Frizell. We will sign another quality player, but I don't think they're actually knocking the door down wanting to play for us.

Last edited:

Defender1

Ben Kennedy
I read that he had numerous SL teams after him and Union teams as well so not only did he play 1st grade at 18 he had plenty of teams after him . As far as ( No one's seen much of him )Alex McKinnon has been following him for quite some, time so he has seen a fair bit of him and thought enough of him to make sure we got him .

Hopefully Alex has seen a lot of him, although I'd be surprised if he's been over to see that much of him in person. More likely he's been sent tapes and relied on contacts over there (whom he obviously trusts)... From the clips I've seen he looks a giant and there's potential, but there wasn't much from his debut game to suggest he was a stand out (there's bugger all footage out there though to be fair). My point is; if he was a world beater in the Super League he would have played more than 2 games in 2 years.

That was a genuine question when I asked if he made any junior England teams? Don't get me wrong, plenty of good NRL players never made a junior rep side, but if he killed it at that level it would be some sort of indicator to support the hype he's getting from some on here. I've seen plenty of big, strong, fast 18 year olds that didn't make it, because they had pea hearts or didn't have the mentality to make it. Hopefully for us he's not one of them :)

At the moments, I'm more excited about a couple of other young guys we have, but hopefully the big fella turns out to be a world beater and demands selection come rd 1.

packo

:) (:
The origin winger we have also had hands for feet. Ask raiders fans. He’s a kid. Not the answer to our prayers. No loss only to gain.

Ethan

Adam MacDougall
I asked on an ESL forum about Young when we signed him and the only comment I got was that he hoped we are fans of dropped balls.
Yeah but that means nothing i went on the Kennel before we signed Klem and they all said he was the best a world beater the day after he signed with us he was crap that couldn't, tackle couldn't, run the ball, and never passed. In 2 days he went from a world beater to absolute crap.

Treadly

Shane Christensen
Yeah but that means nothing i went on the Kennel before we signed Klem and they all said he was the best a world beater the day after he signed with us he was crap that couldn't, tackle couldn't, run the ball, and never passed. In 2 days he went from a world beater to absolute crap.
And still one of the absolute best in my eyes, along with the Safs

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Jaybro

Justin Holbrook
I got the pleasure of getting a tour around the Knights facility at Wests Mayfield today!!

I saw Bailey Hodgson, I can’t believe how small he is!!! I know size isn’t everything but my goodness he’s small, I can’t seem playing NRL anytime soon & I can’t see him playing anywhere but fullback.

He was hobbling around, looked like he had stitches on his knee so I presume he’s had surgery

Mark O’Meley looks like he could still play!

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Talking of Mark O'Meley, his son Nick O'Meley was supposed to be training with the reserves, but he hasn't made the side.
Nick is a fullback, wing, 5/8 who played for us in under 16s.
There was also talk last year that his other son was training with our jersey Flegg side.
He is an interesting player - like a shorter, wider version of Mark. Basically a barrel on legs. He was a hell of a ball runner in under 18s - bodies flying everywhere, but he'd only be about 175cm tall and nearly that wide.

TonyM

David Boyd
Only recently been given the chance to post having registered way back on the forum so apologies for visiting an old post. Just wanting to add a little info on Bailey. I'm a Englishman living in Yorkshire and have followed this kid since 14/15. I'm a Leeds fan at heart but watched Hodgson rip us to pieces at 15. First time in years that Cas had beat Leeds at Scholarship and I believe a lot of the reason was due to this kid. I understand he jumped up to 1st team as soon as he left school at 16. Watched him play a year up for England and the kid stood out among kids 2 years older than him, got MOTM and rightly so. I'll reiterate a few of the comments of senior Superleague players in the UK, this kid genuinely has the potential to be if not better than Ponga. He's slight but has the heart of a Lion, fast with amazing footwork, incredible left and right step, and a very clever footballer. I'm now a Knights fan, and wish you all the very best with our young Hodgson. Good Luck for the season

daniels

Trent Hodkinson
Sounds like there are some very big wraps on the kid, I can see Ponga moving into the halves to make room for him if he lives up to the hype. Can't wait to see how he goes.

HarVeeGee13

Gavin Hanrahan
Excited to see what the kid can do. I’ve only seen highlights but he looks like a natural, got that Maori sidestep somehow, I don’t know where he got it from up in the north of England hahaha. Looks like he’s incredibly quick off the mark, passes well both ways, etc.

I’ve gotten an impression from Adzy’s comments that his ideal spine going forward is heavily influenced by his Melbourne days; calm heads to organise & lead the team around at 9 and 7 (I know people are mixed on Clifford but he’s got all the tools to be a top tier halfback, just needs better coaching), with dynamic attacking players at 6 and 1. Between Ponga, Hodgson, Hoy, Sasagi and a couple of other kids coming through, I think we’ve got the players to create that, it’s just a matter of who puts their hand up...