HarVeeGee13
Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
If I ran the club I’d just sign Nathan Cleary for the minimum wage. Seems pretty obvious to me.
Player salaries are dictated by the market and you pay a premium for top drawer talent. Those big contracts are an investment yes but also a gamble. You want a top tier spine player, you generally need to pay a million dollars or more per season. Everybody wants one, especially in the halves and at fullback, so when you have one you think might become that, you bet big on them. The Panthers gave Cleary a million a season over 5 years at the end of 2018, when at that time people were calling him Mitchell Pearce 2.0, a #7 with no creativity. Melbourne literally just today extended Harry Grant till the end of 2025 for about $1 million a season despite his concerning injury history. So it’s silly to act like the top clubs never make bets on guys, pay them before they’ve really proven they’re worth it. I’m sure the journos can’t wait to write the “is Harry Grant repaying the Storm’s faith?” article, it’s just things usually seem to pan out for Melbourne.
Also there’s a lot of anger at Kalyn on here for not committing to a long term deal and always keeping his options open, but if he’s as bad as a lot of you say, couldn’t it be said he’s doing us a favour? I have no doubt that the club was prepared to sign him for as many years as he’d be willing to accept at that $1.1 million a season number. Because he’s bet on himself in not taking the no doubt at least 5-6 season extension we initially offered, if his market value does indeed start tanking, we’re not on the hook to keep paying him for as long as we might have been.
Should probably stop following professional sport if you’re worried about player value for money.
We had a “value for money” team during the wooden spoon years. Miles under the cap & fans kept turning up. I’d say that’s value.
Haha ok.Totally pointless post
Haha ok.
Highly paid players are an easy target for fans grumpy about a loss. Better?
Agree with you 100% about paying a premium for top talent, nobody has ever said anything to the contrary.
In saying that do you honestly think we are getting money's worth with Kalyn?
I most certainly don't and a fair few supporters agree.
He’s a strapping lad. He’d look good in any jersey, to be fairIf you don’t want Ponga anymore we will take him back. He would look good in a Blackhawks jersey![]()
Agree. It's just the tall poopy syndrome.No but he’s pretty obviously been hampered by injuries for the last couple of years. I don’t think he’s getting injured out of spite so I’m not mad at him for this. This was part of my point, part of the gamble with the big money is the player’s career might be derailed by injury. You don’t know if this is gonna happen when you offer the money. You just have to hope.
Even with the injuries, Kalyn is the best player in the team, has the potential to be the best player in the sport, and has carried us to victory at times. He was the main reason we came close to stealing the finals game last year. He’s looked like what he does with the ball scales up to rep level, he’s not Billy Slater just yet but he’s been one of the best on the field for the Maroons in a couple of his rep games. He is a rare talent.
I don’t think he’s anything like as inconsistent as people say and it seems silly to me that the knives seem to be out for him the hardest after games where we’ve been absolutely destroyed all over the park. Yeah he was crap last night, so were a lot of the players around him. Haven’t changed my mind on him due to one really bad game.
His role in the team is to create points and he’s been the best player at the club at doing that since the moment he arrived. If you think we’d have played a finals game if we missed out on his signature I don’t know what to tell you.
I was happy when we upgraded his contract and wish it didn’t include those options but it’s whatever. He’s not a slave, he’s a contractor in a really strong bargaining position, he can do what he likes. I think he’s gonna stay though, and get better with us, and I hope he’s at the club for a long time.
I do also think the club is in a better spot now than it was though, and if he does foolishly decide to leave, we will cope.
Your taste buds are way off. Blokes a beaten favourite at best.He’s a strapping lad. He’d look good in any jersey, to be fair
See Payne Haas in trouble again. I think someone mentioned using Ponga money to bring him here.
No thanks.