I’ve seen it suggested that a lot of their forwards are on crazy money, and there’s back-ended deals involved, that’s why they ran into cap troubles. Like you’d imagine Cook, Murray, Walker and Mitchell all being on big money, and it makes sense to pay up for those guys, but allegedly they’ve got Tom Burgess & Jai Arrow both on a number that would shock you, somewhere in the $800K region, Liam Knight on half a mil, and then they’ve had to try and find money to keep guys like Koloamatangi too. That’s how they found themselves in this position where they needed to shed something like $2 million from the cap for 2022 and then more in future seasons.
I know Wayne Bennett really really pushed hard for them to get Arrow but I’m not sure how much say he’d have about actual cap management stuff. Like he can say what he wants from them but it’s not like he held a gun to their head. I think it’s likely Reynolds is still there if they never sign Arrow though.
It does seem like they went all in on what they saw as a premiership window and when you’re a missed conversion away from forcing extra time, can’t say it was a horrible call IMO. Winning would have vindicated everything.