2019 Pre Season and Trials

With Moga and Hunt out centre stocks are low, Sione went ok especially towards the end of season so let’s give him the chance to show us, might go ok, he needs to settle on a position but changes keep happening.

If he's going to settle on a position it's not centre because over 50+ games he has shown he can't defend there and doesn't do much with the ball either.

Let him have a crack at second row. The best he has played in the last few years was the end of 2016. In the back row.

In the be the player video this week Brown says every player who is training with firstgrade who is fit to play, down to Star Toa, will get some time in the first trial, so either Woolford and Stone have an injury we haven't heard about, or they were accidently left off the player list.

If he's going to settle on a position it's not centre because over 50+ games he has shown he can't defend there and doesn't do much with the ball either.

Let him have a crack at second row. The best he has played in the last few years was the end of 2016. In the back row.

His defense at centre was terrible and cost us heaps, of that there is no doubt.
Mostly because given a decision to make in D he often took the wrong option and his support were slow to react due to uncertainty- is this his fault or the lack of rigidity in the Defensive policy ?

I feel confident that with Wolfe being an ex school teacher there will be no room in the defensive system for miss interpretations.

To be fair our best option for second row partners is Fitz and Guerra , unfortunately the amount of good clean up work Guerra did for the teams last year he will end up playing lock in the earlier part till patterns are ingrained.

It's an embarrassment that he had to be switched for a bloke half his size and attack wise offered little and created nothing.

Also our other centres are not on $650k a year, more like $150k and for the most part were dependable without being flash.

It's an embarrassment that he had to be switched for a bloke half his size and attack wise offered little and created nothing.

Also our other centres are not on $650k a year, more like $150k and for the most part were dependable without being flash.
Sione is not on $650k either.
He scored 8 tries.
Had a few try assists.
And according to an article was one of the more dominant one on one tacklers.

To be fair our best option for second row partners is Fitz and Guerra , unfortunately the amount of good clean up work Guerra did for the teams last year he will end up playing lock in the earlier part till patterns are ingrained.

Yeah agree, last three premiers have had superior ruck defence. I'd have whoever our two best defensive props are starting (klemmer and ???) with fitz/Guerra/glasby in the backrow. And griffin at hooker if he were fit.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au...and-pearce-break-down-new-halves-combination/

Pearce and Ponga describing their pet play, with all it's variations, blow by blow.

My first thought was they shouldn't be telling everyone this, but I'd say every head coach in the NRL has a similar reel and shows his team all the things they need to defend against when they play the knights.

My other thought on them being happy to put this out there is, they have a few new plans and all this is so 2018.

I see the under 20s trial won't happen tomorrow, with just reserves and firsts listed now.
I see 3 under 20s - Crossland Toa and Hoy - are playing in the firstgrade trial - and with 28 players for firstgrade, we'll probably only have about 10 seniors for reserve grade - so maybe the bulk of the under 20s will be playing reserve grade anyway.

Zero Tackle have ranked each club's recruitment, They have us at number 1

They have also predicted we will finish 7th

https://www.zerotackle.com/2019-season-preview-newcastle-knights-39789/

1. Newcastle Knights

Signings: James Gavet, Tim Glasby, Hymel Hunt, David Klemmer, Edrick Lee, Mason Lino, Kurt Mann, Jesse Ramien, Zac Woolford

The Knights continued their rebuild with another host of new signings. Nathan Brown will be sure to have a selection headache with the number of forwards within the club.

Tim Glasby and David Klemmer bring experience to the Knights pack while Jesse Ramien, Hymel Hunt, Edrick Lee all add further options for Newcastle’s backline.

Mason Lino and Zac Woolford provide positional cover while Kurt Mann can virtually play anywhere in the starting 13.

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/...-as-knights-primed-for-dragons-trial/?cs=7580

Headline is about Mann wanting to be starting hooker.

In the article, Sione to play centre, Ross is out with a finger injury.

The back line rotation is starting to look very thin. If Watson, Lee, Ramien, Sione and SKD go off after 40 we might finish the game with Hoy, To'a, Gagai, and maybe Buhrer and Mann filling out the back 5.
I still think Fermor will play fg at centre early in his career. He might be used there tomorrow, especially considering the number of edge forwards in the squad.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

no chance of changing fixtures for these sorts of matches?

Match looking more likely of being ok now. Was the weather from Townsville heading south that was looking ominous. Looks to have fizzled out now if you’re still interested in following how the ex Knights goes at 5/8th.

It’s game day everyone!!!

We get to watch our 2019 team play for the first time at 4pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back