HOFFMAN
GALLEN
FARAH
TAMAU

GIDLEY
WATMOUGH
MERRIN
FIFITA

This is the same squad reported earlier today, thoughts? Is it legit?

Carney should have definitely got another go, he's played Origin before, he's played with Pearce before, he didn't do much wrong in Origin & he's easily one of the most talented halves in the NRL.

Disappointed Mason isn't in. Whilst he has been average at times for the Knights, I really think he would be a hit in Origin, he would lift like in the All Stars game & City v Country, get into it & lift the young NSW boys when they're down.

Hoffman is nothing special.

Everything else looks perfectly fine to me, looking forward to it!

Last edited:
I still think its their best team they've picked for game 1 in years considering you think of their decision with Buhrer last year.

We probably have a better forward pack, Grant or Woods could've easily played prop and Hoffman miss out though. Everywhere else QLD has NSW covered. Ferguson .. oh god

I wouldn't of picked Gidley and Hoffman, but overall, I'd be pretty happy with that team. Grant is pretty unlucky but you can't really argue with that prop rotation either.

Gallen should be lock...Hoffman out...Watmough to start...woods to bench

It is Phil Rothfield so not sure if we can trust it

Still think this is a Good enough side to win game 1 though

Actually, QLD are very thin on depth in the middle and are relying on a guy like Martin Kennedy or Brenton Lawrence to fill in as their 4th prop. We probably should have put Gallen at lock and bring in Grant and simply burst through their middle with our big men.

Last edited:
I still have a massive amount of confidence heading into this series.....Have never felt more confident actually..the tide is turning NSW way....We will win this series 2-1...maybe even 3-0 bottom line WE WILL WIN!!!:D

- - - Updated - - -

BTW If this is indeed the team...Congratulations to King Kurt on his return to the NSW side :applause:

Laurie Daley waiting on fitness of Brett Morris to finalise squad for State of Origin

186224-brett-morris.jpg

Brett Morris comes from the field after hurting his knee playing the Manly Sea Eagles in early May. Picture: Phil Hillyard Source: The Daily Telegraph

TODAY the final piece of our State of Origin puzzle will fall into place when I find out if Brett Morris will be right to go for Origin I.

When Brett suffered his knee injury earlier this month no one really expected he would recover in time to make the series opener.From day one I never wanted to rule Brett out given he is an incumbent and the Australian Test winger - and I also know that when a bloke like this puts his mind to something anything is possible. To his credit Brett has done everything to give himself the best possible chance of taking his place in the team.Fingers crossed, he's just about there.Today I will speak to both Brett and Dragons high-performance manager, Andrew Gray to get the latest. I spoke to Andrew on Monday and told him there was no point me calling him every day to get updates but that I would need to know before the team was named tomorrow.He told me how Brett was coming along well but he still had a lot of work ahead of him to prove himself fit for State of Origin.Today I should know the answer. I'd like to think Brett would be 100 per cent fit by Tuesday if he is going to make himself available and I have no doubt both Brett and Andrew will give me an honest assessment on that.If Brett is fit he takes one of the wing spots.If he is ruled out then two wingers will come from this likely group: Blake Ferguson, Jorge Taufua, Nathan Merritt and Akuila Uate.And you'd take any one of them any day of the week.

To be honest with you, I have made up my mind on the team but I will keep that to myself for another day.So much can happen in 24 hours, and it often does, so I don't want to rule anyone in or out until the time is right.I hope for Brett he is fit to go, just like I hope for every other player they come through the weekend in good shape. This is a very special time for all of them.When I got this job last August I was so proud and honoured to be named the coach of NSW.I have been lucky enough to have some special moments throughout my rugby league life but this surely rates right up with the best of them. There has been a lot of work done behind the scenes but there is also still a lot of work to be done before we run out on June 5.I have done my best to make sure that everything will run smoothly from the moment the players arrive in camp and I just want them to be excited. I'm sure, just like me, they will do everything in their power to make NSW proud. For me that goes to the heart of what State of Origin is about - having pride in your state, and your mate.

We have heard so much about this great Queensland side in recent years and we will certainly give them the respect they deserve. But I also want our players to come into camp upbeat and confident in themselves, knowing they can also rise to another level.Yes, they went so close last year but I don't think Queensland were at their best, either. So that is the challenge ahead of us, we have to be better.And we can.You can't overstate what this means to the players.I can tell you getting selected for any Origin team is one of the greatest moments you can have as a footballer.And for NSW fans reading this, I also want to ask for your help. Get behind the team this year.I want it to be a sellout on Wednesday week.There are still some 10,000 tickets or so to be sold - but by kick-off I want a sea of blue yelling and cheering.There has been a lot of debate over recent months about who should be in and who should be out and I actually love hearing and reading about it because it also highlights our passion for Origin. I just ask once we name the team tomorrow we go into this as one. "We" being the whole of NSW.

Get behind the players who are selected because when they run out they will be playing for you.

And go the Blues.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-state-of-origin/story-fni3fqyo-1226650187097

Actually, QLD are very thin on depth in the middle and are relying on a guy like Martin Kennedy or Brenton Lawrence to fill in as their 4th prop. We probably should have put Gallen at lock and bring in Grant and simply burst through their middle with our big men.

Brenton Lawrence in ineligible for Origin

- - - Updated - - -

I think there is a lot of false hope, with this squad I would have to think a win to Queensland, probably 3-0. They're squad is just so much better than ours.

The major downside is a very inexperienced coach in Laurie Daley ...

Definitely. I think his selections have been so contradictory and I thought from the start he wouldn't be the right man, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest I'm surprised no one has suggested Todd Carney as utility, he can play Hooker, Fullback, Five Eighth and Halfback just like Kurt, plus he's been in much better form and IMO it was harsh to take him out of the squad. I think Laurie Daley is a part of the Wayne Pearce inner circle, why leave Pearce in but kick out Carney? What situation do you guys see Kurt coming into the game, barring injury?

I prefer him over Merritt, and at least Uate isn't going to get his confidence knocked around by playing and not doing so well.

Prefer him to just win games for the Knights.

I prefer him over Merritt, and at least Uate isn't going to get his confidence knocked around by playing and not doing so well.

Prefer him to just win games for the Knights.

How can you possibly justify his selection on the WING when his good form has been playing CENTRE? no one considered him for selection when he was on the WING.

How can you possibly justify his selection on the WING when his good form has been playing CENTRE? no one considered him for selection when he was on the WING.

How can I possibly? It's not like he hasn't played on the wing before... Actually I think you'll find he's played majority of his games on the wing.

I actually dislike the guy, but you can't not pick him. He will screw up, but he is a cocky guy which is sometimes what you need!

He's showing more confidence and less mistakes than Uate and is miles above fall over the line Merritt. So yeh, that's why.

How did Hayne ever make the side on the wing when he was playing at fullback? And how did he turn out to invariably be one of NSW's best players when that happened? Amazing, isn't it, but players can play in more than one position.

I wonder if Queensland are debating whether to include Inglis, since his good form is at fullback, and he'll be selected at centre?

Ferguson has been in great form, it'd be madness to leave him out, end of. Can't believe people are even questioning it.

Back