Kalyn Ponga

Matulino when fit is a top 5 prop in the game. I’ve always rated him and wish the Cowboys could of got him when they were sniffing around his availability.

Clearly knew exactly what he was getting with Matulino and Packer. He got to a GF with them 2 in his side once before.

Pearce won't get anything out of playing another SOO series, but Ponga would get as much out of a series of SOO as a whole year playing NRL. He would be a much better player for the experience.

Pearce won't get anything out of playing another SOO series, but Ponga would get as much out of a series of SOO as a whole year playing NRL. He would be a much better player for the experience.
Pearce's season generally goes downhill after playing origin

Honestly I would have taken Woods over those two, before knowing how things have turned out.

Matulino was always a risk, Packer a solid signing but.

Ivan Cleary has got to be one of the most underrated coaches out there. Everything he touches bring success.

I would have taken Matulino over Woods straight up and he’s making $300-$400K less. Add in Packer who’s a solid starting prop and it’s a no brainer for me.

Agree about Cleary. One of the most underrated coaches in the game.

Matulino was only going to one place Frank, like Packer. Cleary was extremely popular with his players when in Auckland.

Apparently Cameron Smith has said Ponga will be close to being in there 17 and will definitely be going into QLD camp. Can see him being a straight swap for Slater next year and wouldn't be surprised if he gets the 14 this year, Milford and Morgan are horribly out of form, Ponga could comfortably do 1-7 and 9 at a pinch as well I reckon.

How cheap is Ponga even if he is on the exaggerated reports of $750k plus (still believe around $500k base with heavy bonuses).

We have ourselves a once in a generation player lads and ladies!

Apparently Cameron Smith has said Ponga will be close to being in there 17 and will definitely be going into QLD camp. Can see him being a straight swap for Slater next year and wouldn't be surprised if he gets the 14 this year, Milford and Morgan are horribly out of form, Ponga could comfortably do 1-7 and 9 at a pinch as well I reckon.

How cheap is Ponga even if he is on the exaggerated reports of $750k plus (still believe around $500k base with heavy bonuses).

We have ourselves a once in a generation player lads and ladies!

Would there be a market for a "Ponga Straightens My Donga" T Shirt ?

It was a good decision by the Knights to offer big money for Ponga, but it also has to be said that Ponga and his family made a great decision to come to Newcastle.
No other club would have spent all pre season focusing on a game plan to make the most of the talents of a teenage rookie.
His rise has been phenomenal. I can't think of another like it - ever.
Half of it was because of his natural talent - half of it was because we threw every resource we have at making him the centre of our plans - which was a crazy brave plan. Who builds a team around a 19 year old with 7 games?

The only way the knights win another premiership is if we have the best player in the world on Our team and I feel Ponga could be it eventually. The kid is just ridiculously talented.

I read $350,000 for Ponga and it goes up $100,000 if he plays SOO and another $100,000 if he plays tests even $350,000 is big money for a 19 year old but this kid is worth it even if he plays SOO he is worth it ...Funny how so many people were whinging about the amount when we signed him but now they are all for him lmao

Back