Brian Smith in search of back-up options

Renew Brian's contract for 2010 and beyond?

• Yes, he has changed the club and deserves it.

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • No, he was bought for a cleanout and that is over.

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Depends on what he dishes out in 2009.

Votes: 23 46.9%

• Total voters
he has been reasonably successful over the past two years (this year was great)

i think he is a good coach

If reasonably successful is missing out on the top 8 twice then he has succeeded. Had we mad the 8 this year it would be a whole different story.

I think more that from where we were in 2007 to now, it's been a success the turnover in players and management in a quick time.

Some clubs wouldn't have coped.

With a little more luck and the overall season penalty count flipped around, this year would've been definitely successful.

You can't say that a lot of penalties weren't our fault because they were.
Yeah I know, but a little change could've made a huge difference. Easy to say I know.

Each coach has their own way of coaching. If we give the current squad to a new coach he may want to change things around.. which would be a backward step. I agree that a new coach might be needed but it's not easy to come in and make changes and have success straight up.

Tear up his contract and sign up the Johns Brothers.

:lol:
Only joking. haha. I reckon we should sign him regardless of the results next year, its clear what he has done so far. Its for the best of the club.

brian smith has brought change and instead of being loyal to players week in week out and the players think they will start no matter what he has challenged the players making them improve
for example who would have guessed zeb taia would be a solid starting back rower, this only happened because he tried hard to get that spot not just was given it.

brian smith has brought change and instead of being loyal to players week in week out and the players think they will start no matter what he has challenged the players making them improve
for example who would have guessed zeb taia would be a solid starting back rower, this only happened because he tried hard to get that spot not just was given it.
I've gotta agree with that. In the past years players (mainly in the forward pack) like Woolnough and Perry were underachieving yet nothing was being done.. week in week out. No longer do we get that (apart from some players!).

My manager got in contact with me this afternoon, he said Newcastle contacted him and are looking for a captain/coach for when Smith leaves at the end of 09, Knights management have narrowed it down to just myself, and, well the others aren't important because I'm the best man for the job. :tongue:

Nah seriously wait until the end of next year.

I'd definitely base it on how far he takes us next year. If he can prove that he can do more than clean out a club, then yes, but if not then I think I'd be looking for another.

He is not a good coach in the long term. He keeps the players guessing too much, especially when he picks a 20 man squad on the Tuesday. He isn't the type of coach that brings a team together.

His the man for the job,He will get 2 years after 09 & then we will have success.

People said we couldnt win without A.Johns last year, Look at us this year !!!

Give him time.

I'd have to say look elsewhere also. We needed a cleanout and Smith was the best man for the job. He is a master piece but I just don't think he is the man to carry players through for the next 3 - 5 years.

So let me get this straight... we bring in Smith to clean the club out... he does so and brings in the players he wants while also bringing in his own system and style if play... then we just look elsewhere for another coach after Smith's put his stamp on the team (by bringing in the players of his choice and by bringing in his own system)?

Not having a go at you or anything... just don't necessarily think that's the smartest thing to do. You need to give Smith a fair go IMO. As I said... he's brought in the players he wants and they're playing in his system now. You need to at least give him a few years IMO to see where he can take them. Essentially... this is his team now... and if we fail... it's on him because this was his cleanout and he brought in the people he wanted to and the people who he thought we'd be able to succeed with. You live by the sword and die by the sword... but you can't just kick him out without giving him a fair go with his own guys.

I'd go with the wait and see approach. I definately wouldn't be thinking about a new coach now or even next season without seeing what he can do after being at the helm for a few years.

If he fails next year (We don't make finals) then clearly he isn't the man to carry us through. His next year is vital.

Back