Who is our halves combo in round 1 2025?

See thread title

• Jackson Hastings and Jack Cogger

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Jack Cogger and Tyson Gamble

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jackson Hastings and Tyson Gamble

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • One of Hastings, Cogger and Gamble + new signing

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Two new signings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still believe in Will Pryce

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters
My favourite option is still just Hastings getting his body and mind right. Just very worried about that.
Depending on results, likely missing top 8, maybe getting Hastings as well as Ponga fit and healthy for 2025 should be priority. In Hastings case maybe miss last X amount of games and do rehab, Cogger can play 7 for that period

Depending on results, likely missing top 8, maybe getting Hastings as well as Ponga fit and healthy for 2025 should be priority. In Hastings case maybe miss last X amount of games and do rehab, Cogger can play 7 for that period
It's not the worst idea to put them both on ice and look to make a charge in 2025.
It's a case of if possible that's the real issue, Hastings strikes me as the type to want to play if he's even 75% fit so it might be a hard sell for him.

AOB seems like the kind of guy to want Ponga to play even if he's only 20% for so an even harder sell, he'd have KP out there on crutches if he could

Illias will be off to the Roosters or Dogs I think. Sam Walker to Broncos if Illias signs with Rorters
Young Galvin from Tigers to Rorters too I think- straight swap out for Keary who is retiring.
Townsend wouldn’t be the worst option for us if available

Illias will be off to the Roosters or Dogs I think. Sam Walker to Broncos if Illias signs with Rorters
Young Galvin from Tigers to Rorters too I think- straight swap out for Keary who is retiring.
You think Brisbane will have space in cap for Walker!?

Things which might stop the Roosters signing Ilias and punting Walker:

- If they have ever seen Ilias play.
- If they have ever seen Walker play.

You think Brisbane will have space in cap for Walker!?
It’s not happening. As you say, cap space, but also when Reece Walsh decided to come back he had to do it via the supplicant’s door. Walker is happy at the Roosters and is about to get paid big time there. He’s not about to beg to come home like Reece did.

Also the Broncos have young Blake Mozer (hooker, have mentioned him before, “the next Cameron Smith”) who they’ll need to find a way to lock up before other teams can chase him, they have a very talented 17 year old halfback called Coby Black, and they already have the best “core” group of elite players in the comp in Walsh, Mam, Haas, Carrigan and their gun outside backs. They’re in a pretty bloody good spot even after Reyno retires.

The reason to throw big money at Walker - a very talented but still raw and developing #7 - is if you think you need to change things up to be competitive, you need a talent injection. But I reckon they’re about to win the comp. So I doubt they will feel the need.

Mozer is still young, but there has been wraps on him for 2-3 years now. It’s telling that the broncos haven’t rushed to sign him up.

I don’t think it is tbh, I’ve seen him in QCup and he looks really really good. I would guess that the reason he’s not in first grade yet is because he’s not physically developed enough to play 9 against first graders just now. Still very very lean.

If there’s a world where they let him go, it’d only be because they’re having too much success with their rotation of two bargain bin #9’s and think they can keep economising there going forward. But I would guess that they have a bit of what Reynolds is being paid now earmarked for Mozer when Reyno retires.

Illias was still an average half even when the entire souths squad was firing....
When the entire Souths squad is firing Illias has 4 or 5 senior players with big personalities running the show - not him.

No, guys, come on. Have you seen him play? While it wouldn’t be fair to blame him for Souths’ problems atm, his fingerprints were among those found at the crime scene. His manager Braith Anasta constantly slagging off every one of his teammates on NRL 360 and blaming them for everything Lachie does wrong would be among the reasons the Souths dressing room is so divided at the minute.

He wasn’t a guy with obvious talent struggling in a tough situation. He was a guy who came into about as good a situation as a rookie half could ask for and right from the beginning looked like a guy without any first grade standard tools to lean on.

Not only is Sam Walker a much bigger talent than him. Sandon Smith is also a much better halves prospect. As is Toby Sexton. As is Jock Madden. As is Phoenix Crossland. I honestly can not fathom what Souths saw in him, outside of a bit of pluckiness and effort in defence. It’s never not been bizarre that they thought he was the answer.

He’s a great prospect for the Tigers… of Castleford.

Last edited:
It's hilarious that Souths backed Illias over Reynolds at 33, Halves as DCE is showing are likely to be playing to 35-38 these days with proper management.

It's up their when the Dogs punted a Ennis in his prime who was a huge contributor to Sharks maiden premiership in favour of an unproven Licha.

Yeah he’s gonna give at least 4 seasons to the Broncos. What I wouldn’t give to have 4 seasons of a halfback of Reyno’s calibre at the Knights.

Back