The Newcastle Knights set to announce a profit for the first time since 2006

You could tell this was coming based off the way Gardner has handled certain things that have come out to the public. Like when he had a dispute with Lowrie (I think it was) over his salary to coach reserves (cant remember which team exactly) where Lowrie wanted more money but because of Gardner's own performance targets he knew the budgets he had to work in so he was more then fine with politely declining the raise request. I'm sure results would have been rewarded but this was not the case unfortunately for Todd.
Little things that all add up over time...

It isn't a fight between the new and old - the last lot would have been happy to pay all the bills.
Every business does it
New CEO gets to shine - everyone is happy.
Share analysts dismiss it as "new CEO bounce" every time a new CEO takes over anywhere - It's good PR for the company, so everyone is good with it.
Not to mention that each club is getting an extra $3 million funding. This would've been a $2 million loss 3 years ago

Not to mention that each club is getting an extra $3 million funding. This would've been a $2 million loss 3 years ago
If people are looking for reasons to talk up gardner's business acumen, and they clearly are, the fact that Wests resisted taking over the Knights for years, and suddenly, when the numbers finally added up, they let their arm be twisted into picking up the asset for a song, was no co-incidence, they played it very well.

Either way, Wests a major financially sound company are the owners and the clubs books are in the green.
Why bother with the " its this thats done it or its that making it look good " its all irrelevant to the clubs future.

If people are looking for reasons to talk up gardner's business acumen, and they clearly are, the fact that Wests resisted taking over the Knights for years, and suddenly, when the numbers finally added up, they let their arm be twisted into picking up the asset for a song, was no co-incidence, they played it very well.

And well done to them, very well played indeed and shows the sort of business sense that should keep us financial for the long term.

And well done to them, very well played indeed and shows the sort of business sense that should keep us financial for the long term.
And the sort of business sense to cut us loose in a second if they can't see a way to make money.

Our CEO is on an open ended contract with KPIs as well like Brown is so he has no reason not to try and perform his role for us to the best of his ability.

That’s subjective Billy, they haven’t owned us before so it really is a guessing game. I’m thinking we’ll be sticking around the top 8 tier of teams for yonks with foundation we’re built over the past few years. Onward and upward.

That’s subjective Billy, they haven’t owned us before so it really is a guessing game. I’m thinking we’ll be sticking around the top 8 tier of teams for yonks with foundation we’re built over the past few years. Onward and upward.
They aren't in it for their health.

Had to laugh the other day when Gardner was announcing the free bus service, and he said, tongue in cheek, that it was just a co-incidence that they all picked up near Wests owned clubs (where you could park your car, go to the game, and when you come back maybe have a meal and play the pokies).

They aren't in it for their health.

Had to laugh the other day when Gardner was announcing the free bus service, and he said, tongue in cheek, that it was just a co-incidence that they all picked up near Wests owned clubs (where you could park your car, go to the game, and when you come back maybe have a meal and play the pokies).

Is there a issue with that?

Should they offer a free door to door service?
Ive been to many SOO games and GFs plus major Concerts in Sydney where free shuttles buses are on offer.
I've been picked up from Manly leagues twice and another time from forrest way shops.

Do you want wests to lose money and sell us? Maybe have no club at all and then our best juniors in the area can hit the highs of real nrl instead....

Is there a issue with that?

Should they offer a free door to door service?
Ive been to many SOO games and GFs plus major Concerts in Sydney where free shuttles buses are on offer.
I've been picked up from Manly leagues twice and another time from forrest way shops.

Do you want wests to lose money and sell us? Maybe have no club at all and then our best juniors in the area can hit the highs of real nrl instead....
All this viewing the world through white hat/black hat concepts is not helpful - it dumbs down the argument to levels I won't go.

Come on 88 this is marathon stadium! Where missing tackles is a good thing and having a financially competent owner is a bad thing.

Reactions: R_A
And the sort of business sense to cut us loose in a second if they can't see a way to make money.

The NRL team may at some point lose money, I am sure Wests have done due diligence before buying the Knights, and worked out what the expected follow on income would be from owning, and the bus route idea, is another way of capitalising. The more ways they can capitalise on owning us, extra patronage etc, will help offset any loss the Knights may see in future.

To decide to cut us, they would have to factor all this loss in also. No reason a Knights that are not profitable can not still be profitable to Wests.

Wests would not have become the sizeable business it is without sound business acumen. I fully expect that they might cut the Knights in future if it isn't making money for them. Why would anyone run a business otherwise? However, Wests clearly know how to turn a profit so I'm confident that the Knights are in very good hands.

All this viewing the world through white hat/black hat concepts is not helpful - it dumbs down the argument to levels I won't go.

Dumbs down the argument?

What agendas are behind your posts?

From where i sit, you aint enjoying the knights and Wests venture.

Yeah it seems like it may be better if the Knights were losing millions like they used to and getting mediorce results with players like Luke Quigley and Regan Tanner "trying hard every week" in our team. But that's ok because they went through all the Newcastle junior ranks and are locals. Our Town, Our team!

Fans will turn up to games and buy merch to watch them come 12th

Yeah it seems like it may be better if the Knights were losing millions like they used to and getting mediorce results with players like Luke Quigley and Regan Tanner "trying hard every week" in our team. But that's ok because they went through all the Newcastle junior ranks and are locals. Our Town, Our team!

Fans will turn up to games and buy merch to watch them come 12th

12th? 12th? like 12th? We would be top 3 for members at 12th lol

Reactions: R_A
Back