Sione Mata'utia re-signs with the Knights

Wasn’t surprised to watch the highlights and see Sione rushing in several times on Sharks tries. Both edges are absolutely disgraceful though.
 
I agree it is his misreading of situation more than his tackling ability, his thin air attempts are not something only he has. I am sure he makes as many if not more tackles than most centres in the game meaning that many times he rushes up and makes them. It seems that Sione along with a couple of others receive more severe attention for mistakes. No doubt his game would improve dramatically if he fixed that problem and he would be more acceptable to critics.

Frank...... Nah I'll leave it.
 
One positive from Sione's rushing out of the line: I recorded the game and used freeze frame on both tries to demonstrate to my boys exactly what not to do!
I have always been an advocate of Sione, he is a strong ball runner, but his defensive reads are nothing short of terrible!
I would drop him this week and bring in Denniss or Buhrer!

Siones a strong baller. So are most nsw cup centers but they can also tackle and pass.
 
Personally I'm happy we are re-signing him but I also get frustrated with his defensive issues

The problem is we don't have any players who's strength is their defence (except maybe Griffin & Yates) so overall we are a bad defensive unit. In most sides they have one or two guys who struggle but the guys around them help cover, in our side this isn't the case.

You watch our guys out wide they either come rushing in and we get out numbered or recently they've been sliding on their own line which is possibly an instruction from the coach because the rushing defence wasn't working.

Anyways back to Sione I still think he's a good player and at his age you'd think he will improve, the way Brown has the side playing this year the centres don't get a lot of early ball (Moga & Ross didn't/haven't set the world alight either), we seem to keep the ball tight in the forwards and try to give Ponga space when possible, in the one game that Sione got some early ball against Souths he was really damaging despite being marked by GI.
 
Really Jaybro?

it concerns me that Sione has passed his optimum playing age as he was a monster in NYC and maybe when he first came into the NRL. Islander youths have an early maturity onset and because of their physique and bulk. Billy might be able to answer this as he is our No. 1 Juniors man.
 
Really Jaybro?

it concerns me that Sione has passed his optimum playing age as he was a monster in NYC and maybe when he first came into the NRL. Islander youths have an early maturity onset and because of their physique and bulk. Billy might be able to answer this as he is our No. 1 Juniors man.

Most islanders seem to hit man hood around 15/16 and in the contact sports they dominate during this time.

You can go over any sport and any team and find this as a continuing rhythm.
1 out of 5 find another gear and go one to be very good in said sports career, though the 4 that fsil usually fsil big time before 22yrs old
 
Really Jaybro?

it concerns me that Sione has passed his optimum playing age as he was a monster in NYC and maybe when he first came into the NRL. Islander youths have an early maturity onset and because of their physique and bulk. Billy might be able to answer this as he is our No. 1 Juniors man.

Jaybros post I am hoping is a pisstake funniest thing I've read in years.
 
No no please point it out if it's so obvious

Go read my post history, I've been saying Sione is laughably bad for 12 months now and slowly the rats have shaken off tune from the pide piper bennett and released his a nothing, your the last still under the gaze.
 
In all honesty, if he cant better himself as a player than what he is now? Than yes the knights would be better off.
I agree 100% he should never have gone away from that wing spot. If he was as damaging or skillful as aitken at centre then youd be ok with it. Back row well you know how that went down. Fullback he was ok but now can't be there as we have a sensation in the making there.
 
Go read my post history, I've been saying Sione is laughably bad for 12 months now and slowly the rats have shaken off tune from the pide piper bennett and released his a nothing, your the last still under the gaze.
If you're going to discard every player who isn't up to scratch at age 22 then you'd be going through a lot of players.

Either way you said my post was laughable still searching for what part you thought was so funny, I did say 'I still think Sione is a good player' I'm guessing that's the part you didn't like?

I can fall into the trap of sticking up for players (especially Knights players) but I guess it's because I watch the players very closely so I can easily identify their strengths & weaknesses probably more than the average punter. Players can work on and fix their weaknesses but they generally can't develop physical strengths they don't already have by the time they've reached NRL. So although Sione has big issues in defence the things he can do in attack when given the chance give me the confidence that when he improves his defence he'll be an all round good player.

As I said in my original post we have a side filled with guys who aren't quite up to standard in defence so they're getting caught out more because there's no one to cover them, there are plenty of guys out there in the NRL who are crap defenders but are being helped out by the better defenders in their side.

Maloney at Penrith is the best example, he's probably the worst defender in the Comp he makes more miss tackles than anyone else and by a long distance, but he is the only real bad defender at the club (apart from Mansour) so his mates cover for him and Penrith sit at the top of the ladder with the best for defence in the League.

Anyways I knew this was a bad idea to comment on this thread as everyone is off Sione big time, but I'll still stick to my guns.
 
Back
Top