Sione Mata'utia re-signs with the Knights

He will be training with Tevita Pangai for the first time since they were 15.
They were the dynamic duo back in Mathews, but last time I saw them play against each other they ended up throwing punches.
 
I really hope that the experience he’s gained since he last played there will be better for him in the long run. We have to remember that he was 18/19 when he last played out wide and has grown significantly since. I think he’ll do fine there and I’m excited to see the combination he can form with SKD.
 
I think there's a good chance he'll go better at centre now than before, so I'm glad he'll get the chance even if only temporary because we have no other centres. Though I can't see him playing Origin at centre, gritty backs don't really get the same kind of recognition that speedy, electric, flashy type backs like Tedesco, Trbojevic, Jennings, James Roberts etc. get. And the guys who are a bit less flashy, generally have a decent attacking game too or can finish, like Dugan or Ferguson.
Sione hasn't shown a great running game for the backs, maybe if he becomes a Matt Gidley-type try assist guy he'll have a chance, I've seen him do it before.

I thought the best football he's played apart from that magic wing run was in the back row, he had plenty of good games, but his lack of size & head knocks got in the way. If there was a magic switch that could rectify the head knocks, then it wouldn't surprise me to see him play Origin eventually as a speedy, line running backrower with some ball playing.
 
I'm with you Joshhh. He may well play SOO as the current centre occupiers, in my opinion , Dugan and Hayne, each cost us game two in 2017 by hogging the ball. Hayne passes to Morris and he must score, similar Dugan not moving the ball to Ferguson.

One would like to think Freddy Fittler will have different selection thoughts to Daley.
 
I'm with you Joshhh. He may well play SOO as the current centre occupiers, in my opinion , Dugan and Hayne, each cost us game two in 2017 by hogging the ball. Hayne passes to Morris and he must score, similar Dugan not moving the ball to Ferguson.

One would like to think Freddy Fittler will have different selection thoughts to Daley.

Had a listen to him on 1269 am speaking about Origin, lot smarter than what you see on the TV. Raised some points on how QLD had the luxury of having their players spread over 3 clubs, and most played together each weekend if not then for QLD and then for Australia at worst.

Also how they had the culture of playing for eachother which NSW definitely hasn't had in the last decade.

His point of getting 40+ players was to let the young fella's know what was expected........

Very humble, very articulate fella, met him a few times at Roosters games his a lot deeper than I thought.
 
Kinda reminds me of Luke Lewis in some ways.

Not only the way he transformed from winger to back rower, but his work rate and the lines he runs.

Maybe centre will turn out to be his best position, and the experience he gained by playing in the positions either side can only be seen as a positive.
That'll come down to his defensive reads and ability to put away his winger. We'll find out soon enough.
 
I'm with you Joshhh. He may well play SOO as the current centre occupiers, in my opinion , Dugan and Hayne, each cost us game two in 2017 by hogging the ball. Hayne passes to Morris and he must score, similar Dugan not moving the ball to Ferguson.

One would like to think Freddy Fittler will have different selection thoughts to Daley.
Good point about Dugan. You know Ferguson has never scored a SOO try because he usually plays outside Dugan who doesn't pass.
Great to hear that people rate Sione he's a great player. Good to see the NSW selectors see him as a future SOO player.
Imagine if Moga and Sione play origin, that would leave us extremely short on centre's.
 
Back
Top