Scotty Dureau

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by R_A, Feb 1, 2019.

1. R_A

R_A Ben Kennedy

Was this the one where we were terrible for like 65 mins and down 0-12 and then somehow won 13-12 with a Dureau field goal in GP? Against Manly

I definitely know that was a game but can’t remember if it was that year or if it was his debut

2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

We lost 50-16.
    My memory of it was Scotty ran out of gas with the pace of the game and was hooked by Brian Smith after about 60 minutes.

3. R_A

R_A Ben Kennedy

Yeah that would have been after all the scrub players were told they weren’t wanted by Smith and then they stopped trying.

I had thought Walsh was the halfback then because I remember Mullen was shut down for the remainder of the season

I believe the match I had in mind then was rd 2 2008 and that was at home

4. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Todd Bates

Asset Manager
    I remember we got belted. Everytime I went to Gosford we got flogged

5. R_A

R_A Ben Kennedy

Latest seems to be that Dureau’s cancer has come back and spread, ugh

6. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

Asset Manager
    That is terrible news. Awful for he and his family to have to try to manage.

7. R_A

R_A Ben Kennedy

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/290cd3393f266276770295d4a2327dce

Scott Dureau spoke to Lara Pitt from Foxsports about the latest on his cancer.

Basically said around last Christmas based on how quickly the cancer had been spreading and growing back that there was no cure being unable to stop it and they are giving him two years to live.

He will continue to do his coaching duties in the mean time. And I guess keep fighting it best it can.

Eff Cancer, crap prognosis but hopefully he fights it as long as possible.

8. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

That is so so sad. I can’t begin to imagine how painful this must be for him and his family.

9. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Shane Christensen

I watched the entire interview and he still has a long way to go, but his most recent scans showed an improvement.
    As I said he has a long way to go but if the improvement continues, the potential outcome is more positive then first thought.
    My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family, very tough to watch!

10. danknights

danknights Matthew Gidley

Wow. Couldn't of happened to a nicer bloke. Hopefully he pulls through. He certainly won't give up.

Tasgirl likes this.
  11. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Scott Dureau provides health update

Newcastle Knights
    Fri 16 Aug 2019, 07:01 AM

Scott Dureau has opened up on his health.

Having completed chemotherapy and moved onto a targeted therapy, the Jersey Flegg coach is fighting.

Speaking to the Our Town Our Team podcast, Dureau provided an update on how he’s tracking.

“I feel really good, the new treatment I’m on, I’ve been on treatment now for just over two months which is a targeted therapy they call it, which basically targets the cancerous cells in your body and not all the cells in your body as the chemo that I first had, did,” Dureau explained.

“I tolerate it really well at the moment, some pretty positive early signs after only a couple of months, they think that it is doing a pretty good job and doing some good work at the moment.”

With his hair back, Dureau is looking and feeling well but will have another check up in 12 weeks’ time.

It’s a solid position to be in after a torrid 10 months.

The 33-year-old went for a routine MRI scan last year only to find six small tumors on his brain. Having successfully had surgery to remove them, it was discovered the cancer had spread.

“Go for another scan in three months time to see where we’re at and keep continuing on as I am at the moment,” he said.

“I had yearly scans after the 2013 surgery I had to remove the tumor.

“November last year I found out that it had grown back in my brain, so had surgery again to remove it.

“Unfortunately, we found it a week before Christmas we had found out it had spread to my liver.

“The targeted therapy seems to be working, we think we’ve got them (all the tumors) under control and the most recent scan has shown some slight improvement.

“The good thing about the treatment I’m on now is I can stay on that as long as possible so if it takes a year, five years, 10 years it doesn’t really matter, as long as it’s working and I can tolerate it.”

As often is the case, in troubling times, the best in people is brought out.

This was the case when the Men of League Foundation and the hosted a fundraiser.

Matty Johns, Trent Robinson and several of his former Knights teammates were in attendance to help raise funds for Scott and his family.

“To have the continued support from people all across the world and the ruby league community with the Mark Hughes Beanies for Brain Cancer Round, was an amazing to be inundated with more support,” he said.

“It really does make you appreciate what you have in your life with your family and friends and all the great memories I have.”

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2019/08/16/scott-dureau-provides-health-update/

12. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

Asset Manager
    Great to read there has been some improvement. Here’s hoping this continues in 3 months and Scott and his family can relax a little more.

13. R_A

R_A Ben Kennedy

Yep really happy that he's continuing to fight such a terrible disease not just for the Knights and the fans but as an NRL player and for the rest of the NRL. Hope we can continue to see positive updates, although as much as I like to believe no news is good news I'd rather hear about it either way, good or not so good...

Lefty likes this.