Rumour: Knights looking at Maloney

If the Sharks get Cronk, what other options does Maloney have besides the Knights?

Unless there's another club desperate for a half, why pay massive overs on a player without a club?

If it unfolds that way, would offering Maloney an incentive-based contract be a reasonable approach?
Say 4 years at $800k per season with a $200k upgrade on the next season if we make finals?

Plenty of clubs interested in him.
Souths are one, Parra as well.. we have to throw the bank at him.

Talk for long time has been we need a gun half and 1 or 2 props with plenty of experience and despite signings and possible signings we still need half and props.
Can't understand why any team would want to buy Cronk for million plus for a season if they have a top half, SOO, that can play for next 3-4 years and is a top line goal kicker. If I was Cronulla I would upgrade Maloney and lock him in for 3 more years after next.

Talk for long time has been we need a gun half and 1 or 2 props with plenty of experience and despite signings and possible signings we still need half and props.
Can't understand why any team would want to buy Cronk for million plus for a season if they have a top half, SOO, that can play for next 3-4 years and is a top line goal kicker. If I was Cronulla I would upgrade Maloney and lock him in for 3 more years after next.

Good points Frank , so why not make a play for both giving us a win- win situation both asking the same money , both of these halves have the ability to steer around any side and make the decisions required in close games which will win more games than lose if in that situation.

Foran is available also , very capable but loads more baggage.

Cronulla Sharks confirm interest in Maroons superstar Cooper Cronk - if he decides to play on

CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSI, The Daily Telegraph
July 11, 2017 8:39pm

THE focus on Cooper Cronk’s next move will go into overdrive after Wednesday night’s Origin decider, regardless if he leads Queensland to glory, and Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan confirmed he will happily discuss having the superstar playmaker in the Shire if he plays on.

And for the first time, Flanagan has conceded if Cronk did end up at the Sharks, it would be tough to stand in the way of James Maloney pursuing a big-money deal at a rival club.

The only way the premiers would be able to seriously entertain Cronk should he extend his NRL career — the smart money remains on him retiring — would be to release his NSW rival Maloney from the final year of his deal.

“I do talk to Cooper’s manager (George Mimis) once a week, but Cooper is Cooper, he won’t make a decision until after Origin, and your guess is as good as mine if he’ll play on or not,’’ Flanagan told The Daily Telegraph.

“There was no way Cooper was going to go back on his word and make a decision before Wednesday night. If he was to play on, we’ll see how we go.

“We have Jimmy who is comfortable at the moment, but if clubs are offering him big money, $1 million to go elsewhere, it will be hard to keep him.

“If it’s true clubs will pay him $1 million, I can’t go there. But he’s on contract with us next year, I’ll stand by that, and I think he’ll stand by that.

“If there’s an option there for us, we’ll see what happens.’’

Already declaring he wants to be in Sydney closer to his Fox Sports presenter partner Tara Rushton, Cronk’s Sydney options appear limited this late in the season.

Maloney has another year to run, but is holding out for more money, and has reportedly had several rivals, including Newcastle and South Sydney, prepared to grant him that wish.

Cronulla would only give thought to releasing him if they had a like-for-like replacement become available like Cronk.

When Cronk first made the April announcement he would quit the Storm at season’s end, Maloney quipped to TV reporters at the time: “Where’s he going?

“Cronulla? S**t, I might be out of a job.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/57a8b1d5b14abbb954834c7f97d9e4bc

If we get Moloney or Cronk - top 8.
If we don't, it will take half a season for the young spine to get it together, and we might sneak into the 8 towards the end of the year if we are lucky.

If we manage to snag Graham, Latu and Maloney on top of what we are getting you'd have to think we'd suddenly turn into a genuine top 8 team.

Last edited:
I notice all the pundits who are putting up possible Knights teams for next year have Maloney and Watson in the halves.
I've been thinking we are a very small chance to get this guy, but it looks like a lot of people are giving us a big chance.
To me, he would be the best signing.
I also notice Hodko is saying he is staying.
In my opinion a Hodko/Maloney halves pair would be the benchmark next year, and all the young guys will have to aim up to get a run.

Not confident we will get Maloney, I wish that we do, to many things have to happen in all the right sequences for it to happen.
Seems like we have Watson, that is a plus, Hodko looks like staying so will most likely be Hodko/Watson with Lamb, Cogger and Pythian in wings. So if Watson fires we are better than this year, if not Hodko/Lamb same as this year.
IMO, if we get Maloney then Hodko will leave, writing on the wall.

Back