Round 5: Newcastle Knights vs Melbourne Storm

What is your prediction for this game ??

  • Knights 13+

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Knights 1-12

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Draw

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Storm 1-12

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Storm 13+

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    15
  • Poll closed .
I think O'Brien is just making a point that guys like King, Moga and Crossland are a part of the squad and running them with the firsts for the week will keep them motivated.

Yeah seems to be exactly what he & others have been referring to about possible rotations of the squad & making everyone a part of it. Those guys will get to be a part of the training squad at the end of the week & captain's run which will be a good benefit.
 
Numbers have no relation to the side of the field the players play on. I don't know why people still think that, it hasn't been that way for as long as I've watched the game.

It does, because that's where they usually play, but I was interested if there's a reason behind it.
 
If Fitz comes good he will probably move Guerra to the bench and drop Jones, but I'd consider giving Guerra a week off. He's played a lot more minutes than expected for the last 2 weeks, and Jones looks fighting fit.
 
Shibasaki has really dropped down the pecking order now.
I noticed this. Thought he was pretty solid in opening rounds. In fact more of a standout for me than Tuala (although he been good too). Wonder if it’s just as Bill has said and Moga having a run in 1sts keeps them all a bit more engaged. Good to know the quality in depth is there.
 
I too liked Shibasaki in the opening rounds, i thought he was alot stronger bringing the ball out of the red zone.

Tuala though just has a habit of being in the right spot at the right time sniffing out try scoring opportunities

Maybe Shabasaki should consider a move to the backrow an off season putting on some size ? He is already similar in build to Sione and a pretty strong edge defender ?
 
Tough job breaking into forwards for Shibasaki with Fritz arriving and Barnett, Fitz and Ione but I guess no tougher than displacing someone out of the backline with Best, Lee and Hunt locked in
 
"You can't go too small on your bench," O'Brien said. "I need to name middles and I need to name backrowers because if you get off the bus with temperate checks, having Phoenix, Tex and Randy there isn't going to help me if Klem [David Klemmer] gets off the bus and he's got a temperature.

"I'm also mindful of guys being in our 21 for the past two weeks and having to keep them fresh in case we need them on game day - we can't keep naming them.

"That's why I've put Tau [Moga] and Kingy [Josh King] in and taken Pasami [Saulo] and Gehamat [Shibasaki] out because Tau and Kingy have been loaded up with training while Pasimi and Gehamat have been protected from that a little bit. So this week, the roles will be reversed."
 
It's a strange position to be in to have the reserve not playing, so being in full training, while firsts are in the normal cycle of doing recovery, a few days training, and a light run so they are fresh for the game.
Guys like Croker, Huth and Momoisea are doing an endless pre season and should be making the physical gains you only usually make in pre seasons.
 
Shibasaki will be back, i suspect Mann will pull out with Crossland coming in to the side which really excites me, when you've got a side that's already laying a platform and playing well - I feel as though it puts less pressure on a young guy coming in.

If you look at a side like Parramatta, Mitch Moses was already firing on all cylinders when Dylan Brown was injured at the beginning of last season, but it made things easier for Salmon/Smith when they deputized for Brown.

When you have several guys who could fill in for the same position and do a job (Hoy, Crossland, Lino) then you know your squad is in a good spot both quality wise and competition wise.
 
Not sure what the attacking plan is, but given Storm's centre pairing at the moment, I'd expect Best and Ponga will have a great day out.
 
Not sure what the attacking plan is, but given Storm's centre pairing at the moment, I'd expect Best and Ponga will have a great day out.
Yeah, Brenko Lee has had big problems defensively in the past. I'd say he has improved if Bellyache has him in firsts, but seems an obvious avenue to me.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
 
Just seen the interview with OBI he said both Mann and Fitz looking good but waiting to see how they pull up. looks good so far.

Adding Fitz to the team makes that left edge really really strong. hoping Barnie is back soon to bolster the right edge.
 
Back
Top