Official: Knights sign Mitchell Pearce on a 4 year deal

Lamb is surely aware of Pearce possibly coming but I feel we should get him on a two year extension to line up with Watson, will take us past Hodko and give time for Cogger, Pythian and Johns to develop. Then see how it is working out and make changes to best suit.
This would then show Lamb we want him especially if Pearce deal fails rather than signing him after missing Pearce and it looking like we want you cause we missed out on Pearce.
We have the cash and if we replace Hodko with Lamb we are that much better of and critical position covered with quality players.

I'd be very sad to see Lamb go but am warming to the idea of Pearce coming to the Knights. My initial resistance came from getting Pearce for only 2 seasons, losing Lamb and coming out the other side with no-one (assuming Cogger doesn't develop, which he may).

But, if we can get Pearce here on a 5 year deal, likely with a 6th option in his favour, then we need to do it. To be honest I think Lamb is going to develop and be better than Pearce in the long run, but that's not set in stone, Pearce is a quality half and we shouldn't turn him away for a maybe scenario.

The longer this take the more I think Pearce is coming. He's obviously holding off to speak to the owner otherwise he would have signed with Manly.

It takes time to line up TPA's to bridge the gap. I wouldn't put too much faith in the time thing, look at Bird, took time, went to the Broncs no doubt with some hefty TPA support.

Pearce visited Newcastle on his own last week to meet with Knights coach Nathan Brown. If he was to join the Knights, he would renew acquaintances with former Roosters teammates Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Aidan Guerra and Connor Watson, the latter of whom has been guaranteed first shot at playing five-eighth next season.

Someone tell Robert Dillon he is wrong.
Barry Toohey as well.

But, if we can get Pearce here on a 5 year deal, likely with a 6th option in his favour, then we need to do it. To be honest I think Lamb is going to develop and be better than Pearce in the long run, but that's not set in stone, Pearce is a quality half and we shouldn't turn him away for a maybe scenario.

I agree, offering a long-term deal is the logical scenario in this case. If the strategy is to lock in Pearce at the expense of Lamb (which I'm still not keen on) you need to go all-in, not half-arsed.

Has another meeting with us tomorrow by the sounds. So id expect formal offer to be placed this week if not next?

Lambs not a 6. Not the type of 6 brown n co wanted anyway.
Brown wants to re-create the Saints side he played in in the 1990s. He wants an Anthony Mundine style 5/8. Watson can't pull that off. If Ponga switched to 5/8 and improved as much as we all hope he will, he might be the type of running 5/8 Mundine was, but Watson in a very, very good Roosters side only showed a few signs he might turn into a decent running 5/8 in a season or two.
Lamb isn't the type of 5/8 Brown wants, but if you offered those two to all the coaches in the NRL for the same money, 9 out of 10 would take Lamb.

Is anyone good enough for you guys or the Knights! Far out I’d take napa and Pearce any day! Pearce is 28 he has 5 good years in him! Napa is young and with the saifitis he would be great! I do not want to lose lamb but I’m sorry I’d take 5 years of an origin half then a guy who is young and we are sure what he is gonna turn out to be! I think lamb will be good but I’m not sure how good has brown steered the team wrong yet he has been improving us year by year and I like every move he has done

Writing Watson off before he’s even played a game for us is ridiculous. I’m really excited to watch him go whether it with Lamb or Pearce.

He’s a high energy player who will be everywhere in attack and despite his size will rip in and do his tackling. He reminds me of Kurt Gidley with more pace. And he wants to be here, he sacrificed 200k to come here. What’s not to like about the bloke?

Writing Watson off before he’s even played a game for us is ridiculous. I’m really excited to watch him go whether it with Lamb or Pearce.

He’s a high energy player who will be everywhere in attack and despite his size will rip in and do his tackling. He reminds me of Kurt Gidley with more pace. And he wants to be here, he sacrificed 200k to come here. What’s not to like about the bloke?
He is a kid with 10 starting games as a 5/8 over 2 years - all of them as the junior half. In actual minutes and responsibility in the halves, he has a fraction of the experience of Lamb - who is a 20 year old rookie himself.

He is a kid with 10 starting games as a 5/8 over 2 years - all of them as the junior half. In actual minutes and responsibility in the halves, he has a fraction of the experience of Lamb - who is a 20 year old rookie himself.

Both good prospects though Billy. Glad we have both in our team. Ideally our deal with Pearce wouldn’t be as long as they are slating as I certainly don’t want to lose Lamb hopefully we get a win win with all of this. Buttttttttttt as perennial losers lately we can’t fall into the jee the juniors at all costs like we have been doing. There is a risk Lamb could be the next JT who knows but we need to play our cards well from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both good prospects though Billy. Glad we have both in our team. Ideally our deal with Pearce wouldn’t be as long as they are slating as I certainly don’t want to lose Lamb hopefully we get a win win with all of this. Buttttttttttt as perennial losers lately we can’t fall into the jee the juniors at all costs like we have been doing. There is a risk Lamb could be the next JT who knows but we need to play our cards well from here.

I'm the one who has been saying for months that we need an experienced half - because Lamb, Watson and Cogger aren't ready to lead a top 8 side, and Hodko isn't the answer either.
I'm not going to start saying Watson is a polished firstgrade half, when he clearly isn't yet.

I'm the one who has been saying for months that we need an experienced half - because Lamb, Watson and Cogger aren't ready to lead a top 8 side, and Hodko isn't the answer either.
I'm not going to start saying Watson is a polished firstgrade half, when he clearly isn't yet.

If we are lucky enough to get Pearce it would be great for these two young men to fight it out for a start and possibly a utility position

Watson hasn't shown himself to be a dominant half, but that's why he's been brought as an energetic, running second fiddle player. Lamb has the skills to become that dominant half, but Pearce is also that style of player, so ultimately it's one or the other, with Watson not in the equation. It'll be quite sad to lose Lamb, but having a dominant club level halfback like Pearce for the long term is a chance we can't miss. Lamb could become something, but there's also a chance he won't.

From what I’ve seen I thought Watson’s best position may well be fullback but that’s clearly not an option with Ponga

Lamb imo is the next big thing. We need to hang on to this kid or he will go to another club and do the special things we want. Have to have next year and beyond

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

I would love to be selfish and keep Lamb and sign Pearce. Understand though that it probably won't happen. Agree with others that if we go with Pearce and lose Lamb, we may as well go deep and sign him for a decent period.

Brown has been great for us, but at some point we have to understand that he'll need to be selfish as well. Reckon that's about now.

Our entire spine needs time. Pearce won't make them instantly better. Id stick with lamb tbh. Yeah Pearce has a few years left in him but lamb is by far the better prospect for me.

Reactions: Rob
Lamb imo is the next big thing. We need to hang on to this kid or he will go to another club and do the special things we want. Have to have next year and beyond

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
Im sorry but your opinion counts for nothing, Pearce is a top 3 halfback in the competition. If you get the opportunity to switch a could be for a real thing you take it every time. Lamb has had a few classy touches but I've seen nothing from him to say he's the next big thing or anything close. Pearce not only will improve and give us confidence on the paddock but he will also make us a destination for other quality players. As to date we've signed up n comers and veterans and not one genuine superstar. If we snag pearce he opens the door for many more representative quality guys to sign with us.

Its an absolute no brainer.

I put this to you, if Lamb wasn't a local kid would anyone care that he goes?

Back