News 29/3: One last Test for Joey, but no more Origin

jamesgould

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Staff member
Admin
One last Test for Joey after Ricky's plea for revenge
By Brad Walter
March 29, 2006

ANDREW Johns is set to farewell representative football with a final appearance for Australia in the upcoming Anzac Test.

Johns agreed to the one-off appearance after secret talks with Test coach Ricky Stuart in Newcastle yesterday. However, he has ruled out playing for NSW in this year's State of Origin series.

The decision follows a personal plea from Stuart for help in avenging the loss to New Zealand in last year's Tri-Nations final.

After making a stunning comeback for the Blues in game two of last year's Origin series, Johns indicated he had retired from rep football when he injured his knee in the second match of the Tri-Nations tournament.

Having extended his Newcastle contract until 2008, he said he wanted to preserve his ageing body to prolong his club career. Johns has been in scintillating form and looks refreshed after four seasons that had ended prematurely due to injury.

Stuart met Johns in Newcastle yesterday and was determined to convince the star No.7 to keep playing for NSW and Australia. John Fordham, who manages both men, was also at the meeting.

It is understood Johns agreed to make himself available for the Anzac Test against New Zealand on May 5.

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said Johns did not need to declare his hand until the selectors met on April 30 to pick the Test team.

"He still has plenty of time to make up his mind," Carr said. "We haven't pushed him for a decision and it's not up to us to push him. We don't need to know until the selectors sit down to pick the Test team the Sunday prior to the game. We certainly hope he plays again. We believe another year of rep footy will cap off a great career for Joey."

From: http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/o...lea-for-revenge/2006/03/28/1143441154890.html

Knights re-sign Mullen
By Michael Cox
March 28, 2006

NEWCASTLE has begun to plan for life after Andrew Johns with the NRL club today announcing the re-signing of former junior Kangaroo Jarrod Mullen until 2009.

Mullen said the chance to continue his development under the guidance of Johns was a major factor in his decision to stay with the Knights.

"I do a lot of work with him and to have a player like that and learn of him, be his apprentice, I suppose, is just amazing," Mullen said.

"I don't think anyone can replace Joey... I'll do my best job."

The Newcastle junior was thought to be highly sought after by opposing clubs but chose not to test his value on the open market after the June 30 anti-tampering deadline.

There where rumours Parramatta-bound Knights coach Michael Hagan would try and lure Mullen to the Eels next season. But Hagan said he was pleased for both Mullen and Newcastle.

"I think it is a really good situation for the club to be in, I think Jarrod has been a tremendous talent for the club in the last couple of years, it's good for the club that he has agreed to stay and for his development I think down the track he is going to be a very good player for the club," said Hagan, who has signed a three-year deal to coach the Eels from 2007.

"He has a great attitude and is regarded as a future playmaker for the club. This is an important signing for the Knights long term success."

Opportunities in the immediate future, however, may be rare for Mullen, with the Knights current scrum-base duo of Johns and Kurt Gidley in scintillating form.

But Mullen has found some positives in being stuck behind such an established combination.

"I'm learning a lot in premier league actually, I get my hands on the ball a fair bit," Mullen said.

"If I was in first grade playing outside Joey I don't think I would be touching the ball much because he plays a pretty dominant role... I'll get my chance I hope, I've just got to take it when it comes."

From: http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18635219-23214,00.html

Back