New logo 2020

Personally, I don't mind it. I'm not convinced 'looking forward' is better than the defiant looking-to-the-left (and it will take a LONG time to get used to it facing the other way after 32yrs!), but I suppose if they needed to update the logo, a mere changing of the visor and font wasn't really going to be enough to justify it. I have felt for a long time that exchanging the black for blue would be the way to go to update the logo, so that the logo would solely be red and blue (along with the required white), so it wouldn't have surprised me had they done that. They didn't, so maybe next time..!

In all honesty, I expected it would happen one day, so it didn't surprise me.
Still looks backwards to me though!!

The simplifying of the word 'KNIGHTS' also didn't surprise me. For those of us who are 2019 members, I'm sure you would have received the membership letters, ect, at about this time last year. I noticed at the time that a simple (boring, I have to say!) word 'KNIGHTS' replaced the medieval version, and I thought the logo change was happening there and then. I was thankful when the 'old' logo (I guess we can call it that now...) remained everywhere else, but I felt a change was coming.

And so, fast forward to the other day's e-mail. As soon as I saw the header, I knew what it was, and that the helmet was now facing the other way ... and sure enough, there it was!

Like I said, I actually don't mind it.
I would like it a damn-sight more, however, if they'd kept the word NEWCASTLE in it. I was dismayed that at this time, given all that has happened and what I understand the vibe in Newcastle is (I live in Perth) in regards to the team, that right now above almost all other times in the club's history, NOW is the time you'd want to be showing that you are representing Newcastle. That the club is for the people of the Hunter. But instead, they removed the thing that proudly displays in the logo that the club is from Newcastle, representing Newcastle. THAT, more than anything else in the new logo, is the thing I dislike.

To me, I've already played around with the new logo, and replacing the word 'KNIGHTS' with 'NEWCASTLE' looks SO much better. I mean, with the knight's helmet, you can see they are Knights without also needing to read it too, but without the word 'NEWCASTLE', to a casual observer, how would they know where the club is based?

But anyway, those are just my thoughts on it.
I'll post what I came up with quickly today to show what I'd do with the new logo to improve it (at least in my eyes!) in a minute.

NK alternate.jpg

This is what I'd have done with the new logo. All blue and red, and given the choice, I'd have had 'NEWCASTLE' there instead of 'KNIGHTS'.
That's it. I don't even mind the backwards/forwards facing emblem, and I don't mind the three vertical strokes in the visor (one for each decade, perhaps?).

Facing right, to me. I would have liked to see a knight tearing forward with a jousting stick or something, mate the knight look more bad ***.

Something like this I found.

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-22_6-21-32.jpeg
    upload_2019-9-22_6-21-32.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 438
taking Newcastle out of the logo makes it more marketable.
everyone in Newcastle knows where the team comes from, so it makes no difference to them, but if we ever get successful again it's easier to draw fans from all over if it isn't linked to a town where they don't live.
as to the logo, I don't know why, but facing the other way makes it look a bit fat and boxy to me. It looked better the other way.

I feel like back as a kid when you used to play Mario Kart for several hours playing all the tracks and trying to get the trophies and on the different cup levels type of thing. And then taking up the mirror challenge with everything flipped as the oppposite.
So more then anything, probably will just take a bit of getting used to.

It would have been nice if the club had taken a survey of the members first.

I'm sure we could have reached a compromise which still achieved the standardisation of logos across the comp.

I'm a purist, a big believer in honoring our history and this just feels wrong, but I can understand why they did it.

Always intended to get the logo as a tattoo, will probably stick with the traditional setup regardless.

I'm sure we could have reached a compromise which still achieved the standardisation of logos across the comp.

I'm a purist, a big believer in honoring our history and this just feels wrong, but I can understand why they did it.

Always intended to get the logo as a tattoo, will probably stick with the traditional setup regardless.
I'm not one for tattoos, however should I ever get one, a Newcastle Knights one, I'd personally go with the original logo. It will always be the original, the first.
Any that have come since will have had their time, have replaced an older logo and then been replaced, but the original will forever be the original.

That's just me, though!

Not a fan, but really not too fussed.

Better than the all red away jumper of yesty year lol.

Hah yeah I am glad that is a thing of the past, it’s a shame those jerseys will be forever etched in history from the time we scored the most points as a club in a game of footy (70) against the Raiders.
If we’ve scored more at some point correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t remember it (first grade anyway)

funny comment in letters segment of the herald today.
Just said;
"I love it that the new Knights logo is looking the other way"

Hah yeah I am glad that is a thing of the past, it’s a shame those jerseys will be forever etched in history from the time we scored the most points as a club in a game of footy (70) against the Raiders.
If we’ve scored more at some point correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t remember it (first grade anyway)

Yeah you're right, first and only time Newcastle have cracked the 70 points. If it's any consolation, it still wasnt their biggest winning margain.

Yeah you're right, first and only time Newcastle have cracked the 70 points. If it's any consolation, it still wasnt their biggest winning margain.

I remember watching the 60-0 win against the Souths on Channel 9 in 1999 for that matter too. Back in the day when Souths were ours (and everyone's) whipping boys. Joey and Robbie O had a field day, and Hughesy too. Think they took Joey off in the last ten as a precaution from memory. It was basically like watching us play some teams in 2016 being severely outmatched.

Happy for anyone to use mine as a template. Had it for nearly 20 years. Sorry it's a bit blurry, hard to hold up shirt, focus and take photo at the same time.

Attachments

• Knights Tattoo.jpg
    Knights Tattoo.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 307
Back