Most talented individual that never kicked on for us

Grandpa Joe - Prev Lord

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Corey Patterson for mine, ruined the second Mundine got his claws on him.

I mean juniors or guys we got 1st, young, not guys like the Sims who came and did nothing.

Plenty of players who were good in the juniors & never kicked on, but that's probably because they never really had the talent to go to the next level anyway. The ones that stand out for me are:

Siuatonga Likiliki, 2 times NYC centre of the year & played 2 games for us.

Beau Henry, was named the player of the comp for NYC in 2009, massive wraps & only played 6 games for us. To be fair to Henry, I would have liked to have seen him play out a season, maybe he could have kicked on, doesn't help when Wayne Bennett tells your club to get rid of you a quarter way into the 2011 season when Wayne won't even be arriving till 2012.

few to choose from...Russell Richards, Jared Edwards, Daryl Gordon and then there were others like Owen Craigie, Brad Tighe and Brendon Worth that the club saw fit to discard just when they were about to really hit their straps...

Only about 1 in 50 juniors play nrl, and most of them don't make it to 50 games.
So anyone who has played 50 games has done great.

Plenty of players who were good in the juniors & never kicked on, but that's probably because they never really had the talent to go to the next level anyway. The ones that stand out for me are:

Siuatonga Likiliki, 2 times NYC centre of the year & played 2 games for us.

Beau Henry, was named the player of the comp for NYC in 2009, massive wraps & only played 6 games for us. To be fair to Henry, I would have liked to have seen him play out a season, maybe he could have kicked on, doesn't help when Wayne Bennett tells your club to get rid of you a quarter way into the 2011 season when Wayne won't even be arriving till 2012.

Poor ole Beau Henry have to laugh gets sacked by Bennett at the Dragons comes to us, Bennett sacks him again when he arrives here lol.

1. Dylan Phythian
  2. Jake Mamo
  3. Siuatonga Likiliki
  4. Pat Mata’utia
  5. Cory Denniss
  6. Ryan Stig
  7. Beau Henry
  8. Paterika Vaivai
  9. Adam Clydsdale
  10. Korbin Sims
  11. Robbie Rochow
  12. Cory Paterson
  13. Constantine Mika
14. Tyler Randell
15. Sione Tovo
16. Tim Natusch
17. Tyrone Amey

Not all are “talented” per se. But showed enough promise to debut or move to us.

When we signed Constantine Mika, he was touted as the 'best young kid playing Rugby League in NZ'. Definately had the Likiliki hype too. His debut was against the Bulldogs I think, ran some nice lines, made some nice hits. That's about it. Had the build but probably not the drive for the NRL.

Speaking of Likiliki he had a brother that was a prop as well wasn't he? Seemed to be just as much of an underachiever I believe.

Sam Anderson?

Sam Anderson was an over achiever - Small prop who didn't play for us till his last year available for under 20s after being outstanding in the local comp, and he went on to be one of the best in the NSW cup and then the Qld cup for years.

Jermaine Ale is probably the guy who inexplicably didn't kick on.
I think he would still be the record try scorer in under 20s.
He had a massive year for us as an 18 year old in under 20s, was poached by the roosters when they decided to spend a million a year trying to buy all the best under 20s players and were unbeatable, and he scored a massive number of tries over 2 years for them.
After that he went to Canberra and scored heaps f tries for their reserve grade, but only got 4 firstgrade games.
After that he returned to play for Newcastle Wests and only retired last year I think, as a prop forward.
The guy must have scored 150 lower grade tries, and 1 in firstgrade.

Jermaine Ale is probably the guy who inexplicably didn't kick on.
I think he would still be the record try scorer in under 20s.
He had a massive year for us as an 18 year old in under 20s, was poached by the roosters when they decided to spend a million a year trying to buy all the best under 20s players and were unbeatable, and he scored a massive number of tries over 2 years for them.
After that he went to Canberra and scored heaps f tries for their reserve grade, but only got 4 firstgrade games.
After that he returned to play for Newcastle Wests and only retired last year I think, as a prop forward.
The guy must have scored 150 lower grade tries, and 1 in firstgrade.
Old schooner was a weapon in lower grades. Just give him the ball and he would do something with it. Really enjoyed watching. Never seemed to take it on full chat. Shame.

Owen Craigie the guy had as much talent as anyone on the field , just liked the pies too much .

Owen Craigie the guy had as much talent as anyone on the field , just liked the pies too much .

Sadly if Craigie was playing now he'd be a superstar now that clubs know how to manage indigenous players, back than poor buggers from the back of Broome had ZERO support, now the NRL is very culturally aware thankfully.

Back