Knights re-sign Houston, Fa'alogo, sign Stockwell

Would you like to see Jack Stockwell at the Knights?

  • Yes

    Votes: 29 93.5%
  • No

    Votes: 2 6.5%

  • Total voters
    31
Agreed Rochow should move into the front row. There's no way we'll have four forwards on the bench (as good as it'd be) so 3 of those benchies will miss out plus there's also Houston to consider.
If Clydsdale can't play 80 then I agree we'll need an extra #9 or a utility but if he can I'd like to see four forwards. Someone like Randell could be good cause he can cover back row if need be.

I did consider Houston but I'd rather go with some young guys at this point.
 
I've been saying for a long time, I like the idea of Rochow in the front row...

I don't mind something like;

8. SNOWDEN
9. CLYDESDALE
10. FA'ALOGO / STOCKWELL
11. SCOTT
12. T SIMS
13. SMITH

14. GIDLEY / TUIAMAVA
15. ROCHOW
16. K SIMS
17. STOCKWELL / FA'ALOGO


That said, I wouldn't mind Korbin or ROCHOW starting either... We could still do with a Cuthburtson or someone that can off load in the tackle.
 
Snowden, Korbin and Rochow are definites for me at prop.

The 4th is a tough one between Fa'alogo/Vaivai/Stockwell. Fa'alogo probably deserves it after his finish to this year, but I really think Vaivai might be the guy just from watching some of his performances in NSW Cup. Stockwell if he bulks up and has a big pre-season could really push for Round 1, too.

Mataora had a great year too, but I'd have him behind Vaivai at least for now based on what they both showed in the finals.
 
For certain. He held his own against just about every pack. He might even surprise a few playing under Stone. He does have a handy offload and we know how offload and Bennett get along.

He looked good against the Poms the other night too...
 
Knights sign trio

Fri 31st October, 06:34PM

The Newcastle Knights has signed Jack Stockwell on a three-year contract while also re-signing Chris Houston and David Fa’alogo.

Stockwell joins the Knights from St George Illawarra, following a release. The young forward made his NRL debut in 2012 and has played 35 NRL games.

“Jack is big and athletic, he has a good motor on him and will bolster our forward pack,” coach Rick Stone said.

“At only 22-years of age, he obviously has a lot of footy in front of him.

“He was strong in the Under 20s but it has taken some time for him to find his feet in the NRL.

“He had a few injuries this year which minimised his game time.

“As a young player, with a lot of potential, we are really happy to secure his services and look forward to having him here at the Knights.”

The Club is also pleased to retain Houston on a two-year contract and Fa’alogo, who has signed a one-year contract.

Houston has played 154 NRL games while Fa’alogo, who is currently captaining Toa Samoa in the Four Nations tournament, has played 182 NRL games.

“There is a lot of NRL experience between Chris and Dave and we know they will be valuable to our young group of forwards coming through,” Stone added.


http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/10/31/knights_sign_trio.html
 
Agreed Rochow should move into the front row. There's no way we'll have four forwards on the bench (as good as it'd be) so 3 of those benchies will miss out plus there's also Houston to consider.

Rochow is a tough and hearty footballer, but he is a poor man's Hoffman. Point being, he isn't heavy or tough enough to play in the front row. The guy couldn't average more than 90m in 80 mins playing on the edge, he'd get turned around spun on back playing as a prop in the middle

Rochow is an average First Grader when he's on the edge. He becomes totally ineffective when he plays in the middle imo
 
Rochow is a tough and hearty footballer, but he is a poor man's Hoffman. Point being, he isn't heavy or tough enough to play in the front row. The guy couldn't average more than 90m in 80 mins playing on the edge, he'd get turned around spun on back playing as a prop in the middle

Rochow is an average First Grader when he's on the edge. He becomes totally ineffective when he plays in the middle imo

I can see him being an Aiden Tolman style front rower. Rochow is pretty good at putting himself between defenders and carrying them that way. IMO Front row isn't as silly as you think.
 
"The Club is also pleased to retain Houston on a two-year contract" c'mon wtf stone he's been good for the knights but he's been on the brink for a year now, i would understand a 1 year contract for our limited roster but 2 years seriously WTF.
 
"The Club is also pleased to retain Houston on a two-year contract" c'mon wtf stone he's been good for the knights but he's been on the brink for a year now, i would understand a 1 year contract for our limited roster but 2 years seriously WTF.

I doubt Houston and Fa'alogo are on big money now. They both just signed they're last NRL contracts and didn't have many other options. I'd be surprised if we paid any more than $250k for the pair of them (combined). I'm guessing around $125k each (max).

I don't think they're bad value for that amount. If we paid any more than that for them, I'd be shaking my head and dissapointed :D
 
Plenty of guys ready to put their hand up.

For all the korbin love his numbers are only as good as faalogo or Houston. Having his bro in town should fire him up, they are psychos for Fiji.

Korbin is 10 years the junior as well don't forget I'd rather keep on him then persevere with a retirement guy.
 
Filipo? Guy might be likeable but his no first grader in this day and age, Toka I wouldn't give up on if he takes a second tier deal.
 
I would like to see Toka resigned and given one last year to improve his fitness. What he can do for his size is just incredible.

As for the three, happy to see Fa'alogo and Houston resigned. They would have been cheap and they both do enough IMO. Stockwell is a good signing. I think he has plenty to offer and it would be nice to see him excel at the club. Certainly is what we need.
 
No harm signing them up as NSW Cup depth. Toka has had 1 great year & 1 bad year, still hope for him. If we had a horror run of injuries to the backs, Filipo would be a decent option at centre for the cirumstance if he got fit & if not he would be handy for the NSW Cup team.
 
Toka had about 10 good games last year and about 5 this year.
At the end of the year he was not injured but they left him out of the side because Stone preferred Vaivai, Mataora, Steele and Horwood.
Toka in full flight is a lot of fun to watch and at his best he can turn a game, but 50k for Toka would be better spent on Michael Steele, who I think could make firstgrade as early as next year.
 
Rochow is a tough and hearty footballer, but he is a poor man's Hoffman. Point being, he isn't heavy or tough enough to play in the front row. The guy couldn't average more than 90m in 80 mins playing on the edge, he'd get turned around spun on back playing as a prop in the middle

Rochow is an average First Grader when he's on the edge. He becomes totally ineffective when he plays in the middle imo

He's played prop for us before, he's even started there and I thought he was impressive each time. He no doubt needs to get bigger but he's got plenty of heart and he's more than capable of storming it up the middle of the field. I think he knows he'll be on the outer if he can't muscle up and rip in at prop so I'm pretty confident he's going to do just that next year.

Saying that though, if he for some reason doesn't play well in his new position then I have no problem with him going to NSW Cup and a young prop replacing him. He's no star and he is replaceable but he's a tough guy with plenty of potential still, I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes.
 
Back
Top