Joseph Tapine signs with the Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he stays, but wish him all the best if he leaves, he's only doing what he thinks is best for himself at the time. I just hope he gives it a few months under Brown before making his decision.

Not too sure Manly is the best example anymore Treadly, not with DCE playing for them...
When did I say manly? I said many play for unders. Not singling out one club but manly from 4 yrs ago would be a good example

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Just to reply to a few comments, never said we were offering him peanuts, but would you rather $100k or $200k for yourself and your family?

If raiders are offering double what we are its either a pathetic offer by us or they are just idiots and offering huge overs again

If raiders are offering doubling what we are its either a pathetic offer by us or they are just idiots and paying on potential bit what he has achieved.

- - - Updated - - -

If raiders are offering double what we are its either a pathetic offer by us or they are just idiots and offering huge overs again

Not saying they are, just trying to put things in perspective

When did I say manly? I said many play for unders. Not singling out one club but manly from 4 yrs ago would be a good example

I misread mate, I thought I'd read Many, not many. It was only a bit of tongue in cheek anyway about the way they've gone with DCE, it wasn't an attack

Don't know how true it was, but a journalist hinted today it was in excess of 100k over 3 years. (So at least 33k per year)

Well I just gave up 20-30K a year for quality if life and workload so it's all about the persons perspective, that's what I was trying to say originally.
I wouldn't fault a player for going for more money but when he was supported through a tough time then satin he will try to pay us back......integrity?

Well he said he wanted to pay Newcastle back for they're help and standing by him so we will see if he is a man and stands by what he said I guess ..If not then put Pauli Pauli in the 2nd row with Rochow and Korbin back to prop. I wouldn't mind seeing Pauli Pauli running at backs a bit .

I would doubt that $100k over three years as the minimum wage to an NRL player is $87k and probably more this year with the increased cap. Think the $100k would be per season and that is pretty low on the totem pole.

I would doubt that $100k over three years as the minimum wage to an NRL player is $87k and probably more this year with the increased cap. Think the $100k would be per season and that is pretty low on the totem pole.

Was in excess of 100k (over 3 years) more than the Knights offer.

The thing about Tapine is that he didn't have a fantastic 2015.
I've said before that I don't think he was fully committed to football while his legal issues were going on, and he finally had some good form in his last few games of firstgrade and the NSW cup finals.
It's funny how it's worked out for Crawley. The two guys who were real standouts for him in NYC in 2013 were Clydsdale and Tapine, and when he has a chance to make an offer for them, he offers more than we currently think they are worth.

I'm not sure what to make of Tapine at present. If his legal issues were the reason he looked disinterested and underperformed last year - fair enough, but if he is just not that motivated to make the most of his obvious talents - let him join BJ at Canberra.

Coach Brown quoted in Toohey's sunday column on retaining Tapine; "it's probably still unlikely".

Raiders deal could be as high as $1.2m over 3 years.

Coach Brown quoted in Toohey's sunday column on retaining Tapine; "it's probably still unlikely".

1.2 mill is insane money for Tapine. He has had maybe 3 or 4 good games of firstgrade and was playing off the bench in reserve grade some of last year.

It's more than Korbin is on, who has 50 first grade games, had a better NYC career and is on the fringes of QLD selection.
Really really happy we've put a contract on the table, take it or leave it. 12 months ago we would have matched that insanity.

I am pretty sure he was referring to the Knights ability to put an offer to Cordner in the event they lost Tapine not our chances of retaining Tapine. 400k a year for a guy who has played about 10 NRL games off the bench is crazy money, if he does gi their we should try and poach one of their props because they will struggle to retain them all with the money they have tied up in the second row.

For what it's worth, I think Tama Koopu could be better this year than Tapine - he sure showed more impact and fight in the NSW cup finals, and he is doing really serious training for the first time this pre season.

We should sign him for minimum wage before Canberra offer him a million dollars.

$400k for Tapine! Let him go if he wants to go. It'd be sad to see him leave Newcastle, as I think he's a real talent and will become something great with the right opportunities. But matching Canberras offer of $400k for Tapine is crazy, hard to see him becoming anything down there, especially with their depth.

Regardless of the money being crazy or anything else what it boils down to is while the NRL own the Club the only prominent NRL first graders we sign will be those with just about no other options. Even the Pauli Pauli move is stalli stalli apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back