Cameron Smith

krustykraz

Jarrod Mullen
Thought I'd put this up for a laugh.

From the Lurker.

Cameron Smith would win a comp at Newcastle Knights, says Mark Geyer

Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith set tongues wagging with comments regarding his playing future in the wake of his side's 21-6 grand final loss to the Roosters on Sunday.

The 35-year-old is not currently contracted for next year and even suggested he may not play on in 2019.
"If I've got a contract next year I'll play, but I don't have one at the moment," Smith told Triple M following the match.

"The club and my management are working through some negotiations at the moment and hopefully we'll get something done.

Speaking on Triple M's The Rush Hour on Thursday evening, Mark Geyer said Melbourne should do whatever it takes to keep the hooker.

"I'd give him the keys to the castle," Geyer said.

"I'd say 'what do you want and when do you want it?'

"Without Cameron Smith there is no Melbourne Storm. For the last 17 years this guy has given his heart and soul, he stopped playing Origin this year so the Melbourne Storm could make the grand final and he got them there.

"I would bend over backwards to make sure that he finishes on the terms that he wants."
At 384 NRL games and 2,386 points scored, the former Maroons and Kangaroos skipper is within reach of two big milestones.

He could become the first player to pass 400 games and is just 32 points shy of Hazem El Masri's all-time points mark.

Geyer floated the possibility of Smith playing elsewhere in 2019 if a deal can't be reached with Melbourne, suggesting the Knights would be a good fit.

"I think if he goes to Newcastle tomorrow, they win a comp," Geyer said.

"If the Knights offered Cameron Smith a million dollars for a year, I would predict they would make the grand final next year."

Newcastle finished 11th with a 9-15 record in 2018, though star playmaker Mitchell Peace missed 10 games through injury.

Both Pearce and superstar young fullback Kalyn Ponga finished in the top five of the Dally M, giving long-suffering fans plenty to get excited about.

Nathan Brown's team have been on the hunt for a hooker and were close to securing Kiwi veteran Issac Luke before being scared off by a shoulder injury.

If he was to become available, Smith would surely warrant some attention from the Hunter

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...hts-melbourne-storm/hq2jvag3qe6f1wr8yvlijxu01

Can’t see this happening, although Cronk made the move to Sydney so not completely far fetched. That said, I think we need more than just someone of Smith’s quality in one position. We really need some quality forwards. Storm’s success is not just on Smith. They have quality players in all positions and we’re not quite there at the moment.

Yeah I think the Storm offer him another year and let him go around again. You have Munster there on an expiring and Croft, give the Premiereship one more crack before potentially losing both of those guys.

The only player I hate more than Billy Slater is Smith. With Slater retiring that leaves Smith as my #1.

While I respect his achievements and performances, I can't stand him as an individual. The way he carried on while Alex was being attended to after breaking his neck still makes me sick and furious.

Sure, hypothetically he could come here for a season, maybe we win the comp that year. But geez, I'd rather wait and do it without him.

Smith the best hooker ever imo give him the mill for a 1 year contract he would teach our whole team so much , if we can get him do it now ...

Honestly if there was even a 30% chance of Smith being interested in coming to the knights we would be absolute idiots to not want him.

This is a player that makes every other player look 10% better, our forwards would become world beaters over night with Smith directing them around the field.

The only influence the guy has is on the field. Melbourne **** themselves when he's not there, much like the Knights did without Joey. He can't teach them anything, it's up to the player to want to be better.

While I respect his achievements and performances, I can't stand him as an individual. The way he carried on while Alex was being attended to after breaking his neck still makes me sick and furious.

The way he behaved while Alex was being attended to is unforgivable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The way he behaved while Alex was being attended to is unforgivable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He deserves go to hell for that I will never forget and every time I see the bloke I want to smash his face with a hammer.

Mark Geyer showing he is the dumbest person ever. His repeated concussions reportedly improved his intelligence.

The sad thing is that it's just Smith trying to boost the offer he gets from Melbourne by doing what everyone else does - pretending he can get mad money from Newcastle - and he probably could if he was serious.

Although Levi will threaten to walk again haha

It's not going to be a popular comment but Smith has really been given a bad wrap of what happened whilst Mckinnon was being treated on field.

He wouldn't have known at the time that the injury was that severe. He was just questioning the ref as he does and as a lot of players do. He then stood around like everyone else waiting for Mckinnon to be stretchered off and raises concerns with the ref about some incidents that were not penalised from the Knights. Sure he pointed out that if Mckinnon doesn't duck his head down then the outcome doesn't happen but he is talking about the dangerous position, I doubt anybody on the field knew the severity of the injury at that point.

Though, having said that, I'd rather come last than have him at the Knights.

Smith isn't uprooting his life and his family for one year anywhere other then Brisbane where he may settle permanently afterwards so there's no point in discussing it at the moment.

It's not going to be a popular comment but Smith has really been given a bad wrap of what happened whilst Mckinnon was being treated on field.

He wouldn't have known at the time that the injury was that severe. He was just questioning the ref as he does and as a lot of players do. He then stood around like everyone else waiting for Mckinnon to be stretchered off and raises concerns with the ref about some incidents that were not penalised from the Knights. Sure he pointed out that if Mckinnon doesn't duck his head down then the outcome doesn't happen but he is talking about the dangerous position, I doubt anybody on the field knew the severity of the injury at that point.

Agreed with all of this. Smith is a grub but I don't expect he would have known the extent of the injury at the time. And would rather save the money for Segeyaro and some quality props. Smith would undoubtedly improve our team, however we need more than that, and if Pearce can stay healthy, he is already the on-field general we need during games.

Agreed with all of this. Smith is a grub but I don't expect he would have known the extent of the injury at the time. And would rather save the money for Segeyaro and some quality props. Smith would undoubtedly improve our team, however we need more than that, and if Pearce can stay healthy, he is already the on-field general we need during games.

The issues has always been that Smith should have just owned up to it after things happen like McClean did and he made a error of judgement in which if he admitted that and said it no one would have beared any ill will toward him. He is first and foremost more concerned about his image then anything and that's what pissed people off that he was victim blaming. It became Cam vs Alex because he was more concerned about his image and it would have been a lot more smoother and simpler if he owned up to his error in judgement.

McKinnon was clearly screaming he couldn't feel his arms and legs and prone on the ground.

Then neither him or McLean contacted Alex until shamed by 60 minutes and to my knowledge McLean still hasn't.

Back