Adam O'Brien Podcast with Brett Finch

TheBatman

Jason Hoogerworf
Just to let everyone know, in case you haven't seen it, Adam O'Brien sat down for an hour and a half with Brett Finch this week. It's a brilliant interview all focused on footy and not the kind of rubbish Finch can put up. I never get tired of listening to AOB, and he presents himself brilliantly as always. He begins to talk about the Knights around the 51st minute, however I would HIGHLY recommend watching all of it as some of the Melbourne insight as well as his personal background is terrific.

Lol@Finch, look forward to the blue and golds going around again next year....

Anyway, nothing surprising in the interview, what really impresses me about O'Brien, and has since it was announced he signed with us and I took an interest in him, is that he is just a good bloke, honest and won't ******** you, salt of the earth type. Exactly like the Newcastle region really and good to see him identify so strongly with the region in that regard.

I thought his comments around his attacking coaching ability that he deliberately put on the back burner to focus on defence was interesting. Which his plan for this pre-season is to put more of his efforts in to the attack. He thought we didn't throw enough at sides and they came out of their end with a lot of energy as a result of that.

Also, comments about the progression of improvement a team needs and not just have it all now, which I think a lot of us and long term, long suffering Knights fans are desperate for! We made some steps forward this season, and will make more steps forward next season. He talked about the travel being a big factor this year, but also some of the attitudes in training from week to week that one week we win and so focus drops next week training, then lost and focus is back to win, then focus drops rinse repeat. That is something he plans to make a factor in the coming pre-season.

I believe if he can keep the players invested in him, we will see that improvement. He seems the type of coach players want to play for.

And his comment on Pearce being one of those players that their skill is next level shows he has faith in Pearce, if he can get the right structure around him to facilitate Pearce doing well.

A very interesting interview.

I liked the bit where he said Best can give a look that would scare a dog out of a butcher's.
I said in a post when he was playing juniors that he has a serial killer vibe when he gets that look on his face.

Geez finchy hit the narcotics a bit hard in his day. I'm getting a Trent from punchy vibe from him. Anyway great little podcast and good to see Adam really hungry for more. Good luck to them blue and golds ay!

Back