2021 signing rumours

they must be going to finally announce Randall, or Clifford got the release he was after.

To'a had the worst fitness ever when he arrived in 2018.
Scott Dureau said in one review that he didn't think To'a was going to make it through the first training session.
He started the year as a skinny kid who needed oxygen after every run in under 18s, and ended 2018 10-15kg bigger and a rampaging beast in under 20s and playing for Australian schoolboys.
The next year he was playing firstgrade.
In less than 18 months he went from a kid who looked like he'd never trained to making his firstgrade debut.
Even as a skinny kid he was a dangerous ball runner.

Just reading that Ponga has let it slip that Pearce has re-signed with the Knights and then adds OR SOMETHING guess he wasnt supposed to say anything lol. Ponga also says he is aiming for a rd1 return thats good news .

I wouldn't trust an off the cuff remark from Ponga. He doesn't seem to be obsessed with footy gossip, so he might not be completely across what is happening.

I wouldn't trust an off the cuff remark from Ponga. He doesn't seem to be obsessed with footy gossip, so he might not be completely across what is happening.
Go and have a geez at their last 257 collective podcast. Seemed interested in juniors career and stories.

I wouldn’t mind seeing nick Meaney back at the club on a cheap deal if he is unwanted at the dogs. I guess 7. Clifford 6. Ponga when Pearce retires.

Microsoft news says Ponga has prematurely revealed that newcastle Knights captian Pearce has re-signed with the club . Nothing official from the Knights or Pearce but ponga seemingly broke the news on friday.
I think he just re-signed or something so he's at the club and were excited to have him we want to win a premiership together . Pearce is apparently comfortable living in Newy.

He was always going to be re-signed.

I think only for 1 year though, and should be at reduced coin.

I see in the paper today that Moga didn't get that deal at Souths yet.
There are a lot of players who aren't signed this year.
There aren't too many gems amongst them, but you have to hope our recruiting people know what they are doing by filling up our roster with Johns, Hodgson, Young, Kiraz, Smith etc, when there are a couple of dozen proven NRL players going cheap.

I see in the paper today that Moga didn't get that deal at Souths yet.
There are a lot of players who aren't signed this year.
There aren't too many gems amongst them, but you have to hope our recruiting people know what they are doing by filling up our roster with Johns, Hodgson, Young, Kiraz, Smith etc, when there are a couple of dozen proven NRL players going cheap.

My thoughts exactly, Billy. The club has been patient with recruitment in the past and that has largely paid off. I think we risk being out of the running for some quality players during the course of the silly season. Although, there is the benefit of having our team largely finalised this early and starting to work on cohesion with training.

Sporting News reports close to fifty unsigned players, but not a lot of quality. For me only John Asiata, Brad Takarangi and Ryan Hall are worth signing.

Takarangi maybe cheap and versatile with experience in centres and back row. Asiata has played 5/8, lock and prop and Hall is a winger, 33, played 327 games for Leeds Rhinos scoring 232 tries, and capped 38 times for England scoring 36 tries.

Getting on but would be worthwhile depth if at the right price.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...smith-rugby-league/1asqdwvicggjb1fgh5jetj075g

Last edited:
Considering we've re-signed Toa who absolutely deserves a shot at cementing a spot in our lineup I can't see us bringing Hall in.

I think as mentioned earlier it's a matter of waiting for the right players to show up like we did with Macca and Green.

Wouldn't mind either Scott Sorenson or Oliver Clark as depth pieces. But suspect they'll be available for some time so I think we should hold out to see who becomes available.

Back