Your team vs Cowboys

I watched all the games.
His first few were well below firstgrade standard in every way.
His recent games he is starting to look OK for very short minutes.
Looking at his record, he has never been more than a fringe player and is 26 now.
I haven't watched him closely over the years, but I think this is as good as he gets, and it's reserve grade standard.
Well I respectfully disagree completely. His first few games for us were fine and it was obvious he was finding his way in the system. Over the years he came through what was obviously an extremely talented Panthers system. They rated him very highly but they just had players coming from everywhere and his discipline wasn't good. His next stops were impacted by being suspended often, otherwise he was often a great contributor. Particularly for Canterbury where he looked like one of their best forwards. He got injured and missed most of last year. The one thing that has changed for him was when the NRL changed the suspension policies and all players carryover points were reset. Otherwise he was a liability. He seems to have corrected his poor tackling technique and is playing with controlled agression. Again, if you only look at numbers, his will be impacted by being binned or benched to avoid that. When he's on the field he's tough, physical and skilful. We don't lose a whole lot in the middle defensively when he comes on and that's what is most important to the team this year. Looking at numbers will not tell you any of that, but you're entitled to your opinion.

I watched all the games.
His first few were well below firstgrade standard in every way.
His recent games he is starting to look OK for very short minutes.
Looking at his record, he has never been more than a fringe player and is 26 now.
I haven't watched him closely over the years, but I think this is as good as he gets, and it's reserve grade standard.
You’re own statement tells why he is still there
He was injured all last year and didn’t have much of an off seasons and first game was round 1 so he is building

Whilst he might not be playing best he could,we also don’t have enough middles to just drop him to reserve grade to play 60mins and like croker he can play middle or an edge where Leo and The safs cant

He hasn’t cost us a game at all by being there this year so why change what’s working so far

You’re own statement tells why he is still there
He was injured all last year and didn’t have much of an off seasons and first game was round 1 so he is building

Whilst he might not be playing best he could,we also don’t have enough middles to just drop him to reserve grade to play 60mins and like croker he can play middle or an edge where Leo and The safs cant

He hasn’t cost us a game at all by being there this year so why change what’s working so far
My issue isn't with people picking him at 17 if they can't think of anyone better.

My issue is with everyone seeming to give him a free pass into the 17 for some reason. He hasn't earnt automatic selection, and I doubt he will. The second Keeley or Cooper Jenkins or Myles Martin or Cant or anyone else in their early 20s looks like they could do 30 minutes of firstgrade, he should be out - unless he improves of course - he might have a blinder next week I suppose.

My issue isn't with people picking him at 17 if they can't think of anyone better.

My issue is with everyone seeming to give him a free pass into the 17 for some reason. He hasn't earnt automatic selection, and I doubt he will. The second Keeley or Cooper Jenkins or Myles Martin or Cant or anyone else in their early 20s looks like they could do 30 minutes of firstgrade, he should be out - unless he improves of course - he might have a blinder next week I suppose.
Martin isn't ready for first grade and Cant/Keeley don't even play similar roles to Hetherington, if he was left out in the past few weeks we'd have a tiny bench with no real prop. Could change if/when we get closer to full health with JSaf & Elliott back but he really hasn't been as bad as you're making out.

Strange that you're worried about Hetherington's lack of production yet always give "Mr. Invisible" Brodie Jones a participation certificate.

1. Miller
2. Young
3. Gagai
4. Best
5. Marzhew
6. Ponga
7. Hastings
8. D. Saifiti
9. Crossland
10. Thompson
11. Frizell
12. Fitzgibbon
13. Mann

14. Gamble
15. Croker
16. J. Saifiti
17. Hetherington/Elliott

I wondered how long it would take for the personal abuse to come out.
Cmon, it was just a bit of a tongue in cheek comment. 😊 I'd expect the same if there was a Kiwi in the side I loved (could have been Ponga if he actually did the right thing and played for the Kiwis!)

1. Miller
2. Young
3. Gagai
4. Best
5. Marzhew
6. Ponga
7. Hastings
8. D. Saifiti
9. Crossland
10. Thompson
11. Frizell
12. Fitzgibbon
13. Mann

14. Gamble
15. Croker
16. J. Saifiti
17. Hetherington/Elliott
Yeah that's the side I'd run with I think everyone would love gamble to start but you couldn't just throw him in the deep end in the middle with out training him there for a few weeks he would be gassed to quickly but coming off the bench and playing middle after the sting taken out of the game he would handle it

Back