@NZRL_Kiwis
KICK OFF: 7.45PM
LIVE ON CHANNEL 9

TICKETS & GAME DAY INFORMATION HERE

AUSTRALIA LINE UP
1. Billy Slater (Melbourne Storm)
2. Darius Boyd (Newcastle Knights)
3. Greg Inglis (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
4. Josh Morris (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
5. Brett Morris (St George Illawarra Dragons)
6. Johnathan Thurston (North Queensland Cowboys)
7. Cooper Cronk (Melbourne Storm)
8. Matt Scott (North Queensland Cowboys)
9. Cameron Smith (Melbourne Storm) (C)
10. James Tamou (North Queensland Cowboys)
11. Greg Bird (Gold Coast Titans)
Corey Parker (Brisbane Broncos)
13. Paul Gallen (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)

Interchange:
14. Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles)
15. Boyd Cordner (Sydney Roosters)
16. Nate Myles (Gold Coast Titans)
Matt Gillett (Brisbane Broncos)

NEW ZEALAND SQUAD
Gerard Beale (St George-Illawarra Dragons)
Adam Blair (Wests Tigers)
Jesse Bromwich (Melbourne Storm)
Kenneath Bromwich (Melbourne Storm)
Greg Eastwood (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Tohu Harris (Melbourne Storm)
Siliva Havili (NZ Warriors)
Ben Henry (NZ Warriors)
Peta Hiku (Manly Sea Eagles)
Isaac John (Penrith Panthers)
Shaun Johnson (NZ Warriors)
Simon Mannering (NZ Warriors)
Sam Moa (Sydney Roosters)
Jason Nightingale (St George-Illawarra Dragons)
Kevin Proctor (Melbourne Storm)
Martin Taupau (Wests Tigers)
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (Sydney Roosters)
Dean Whare (Penrith Panthers)

All discussion on the game in this thread. Pre-match (predictions, vBookie) live score updates & post-match thoughts

Last edited by a moderator:
Stats - ANZAC Test Match - Australia vs New Zealand @ Allianz Stadium

Head to Head

Played - 126

Australia - 94

New Zealand - 29

Drawn - 3

At Allianz Stadium

Played - 5

Australia - 5

New Zealand - 0

Last 10 years (2003 - 2013)

Played - 30

Australia - 23

New Zealand - 5

Drawn - 2

Battle of the Coaches - Tim Sheens vs Stephen Kearney (Includes Club Matches)

Games - 14

Tim Sheens - 11

Stephen Kearney - 2

Drawn - 1

Australia's overall test record

Played - 910

Won - 671

Lost - 213

Drawn - 26

New Zealand's overall test record

Played - 394

Won - 171

Lost - 206

Drawn - 17

Facts and Figures - Teams

* Australia has won their last 7 games straight against New Zealand

* Australia has not lost to New Zealand since 2010

* Australia has won 18 out of their last 21 games against New Zealand

* Australia have never lost to New Zealand at Allianz Stadium

* Australia has only lost 1 ANZAC Test match since they started in 1997 (NZ defeated Australia 22-16 in 1998)

* Australia has won the last 12 ANZAC Test Matches in a row

* Australia has won 20 out it's last 22 tests against all opposition

* New Zealand has only won 5 out of it's last 12 tests against all opposition

Facts and Figures - Players

* Billy Slater has scored 22 tries in his 24 tests for Australia

* Billy Slater has scored 7 tries in 14 games against New Zealand

* Brett Morris has scored 21 tries in his 17 tests for Australia

* Brett Morris has scored 8 tries in 8 games against Australia

* Josh Morris has scored 4 tries in his 5 tests for Australia

* Greg Inglis has scored 21 tries in his 28 tests for Australia

* Greg Inglis has scored 10 tries in 15 games against New Zealand

* Brent Tate has score 16 tries in his 25 tests for Australia

* Brent Tate has scored 9 tries in 11 games against New Zealand

* Darius Boyd has scored 13 tries in his 16 tests for Australia

* Darius Boyd has scored 7 tries in 8 games against New Zealand

* Jarryd Hayne has scored 14 tries in his 15 tests for Australia

* Johnathon Thurston's international record stands at 30 tests, 12 tries, 135 goals for a grand total of 318 points

* Roger Tuivasa Sheck has scored 8 tries in his 6 tests for New Zealand

* Bryson Goodwin has scored 6 tries in his 9 tests for New Zealand

* Manu Vatuvei has scored 17 tries in his 24 tests for New Zealand

* Shaun Johnson's international record stands at 8 tests, 6 tries, 36 goals for a grand total of 96 points

Statsman'sPrediction and Best Bet

Prediction

Australia - 64
New Zealand - 6
FTS - Brett Morris
LTS - Billy Slater
MOTM - Johnathon Thurston

Best Bets

Jump on our Darius Boyd bonus bets !!

New Zealand coach Stephen Kearney admits his makeshift team face ‘incredible odds’ against Roos

• TODD BALYM
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • APRIL 27, 2014 9:35PM

483286-a629a428-cddd-11e3-8e96-6a6704b39a47.jpg

Panther's Isaac John is one of a couple of surprises in Stephen Kearney’s squad. Source: News Limited

NEW Zealand coach Stephen Kearney called upon his team of misfits and rookies to embrace the “Anzac spirit” as they enter a trans-Tasman Test match against world champions Australia facing “incredible odds”.

Such is the dire nature of Friday’s contest and the injury toll for the Kiwis that Kearney’s biggest win happened at the Australian selection table when Brisbane’s Matt Gillett was overlooked for a Test debut and instead named only as 18th man.

“Let me put it this way, I’m glad he is 18th man and not in the 17 the way he has been playing,” Kearney said.

“He has had a wonderful month of footy.

“It still looks a pretty good side for me.”

Kearney refused to name how many players he had to overlook due to injury, adding that it would take him half an hour to compile a list that includes superstars such as Kieran Foran, Sonny Bill Williams, Issac Luke, Josh Hoffman, Elijah Taylor, Kevin Locke and Manu Vatuvei.

Just six players from the side that lost the World Cup final were named in the 18-man squad, with prop Jared Waerean-Hargreaves the shock sacking and six rookies named including some of the biggest Test bolters seen in years.

A shoulder complaint denied North Queensland wrecking ball Jason Taumalolo a chance for his Test debut while an injury crisis through his halves has forced Kearney to pluck Penrith’s Isaac John from the NSW Cup to play five-eighth.

John has played just three NRL games this year and been stuck in reserve grade for the past month, but it says a lot about this Kiwi team that he is still not the biggest bolter in the 18-man squad.

That honour goes to 21-year-old Warriors hooker Siliva Havili who has played just three NRL games in his entire career and yet to tally a full 80 minutes of combined game time in first grade.

So exposed is this Kiwi outfit that Kearney tipped Warriors utility Ben Henry to play hooker in his debut and mooted Roosters winger Roger Tuivasa Scheck as a possible five-eighth solution.

Essentially the Kiwis will do what they can with the personnel they’ve got to be competitive at Allianz Stadium.

“I know we will find someone who is really willing and will give the team a lot of spirit whoever wears that No.6 jersey,” Kearney said.

“For us it’s an opportunity through injury to give these young guys we’ve had in our Junior Kiwis program some opportunity to play.

“I guess it’s a bit of an Anzac story, a group of young men come together with an opportunity to represent their country on Friday night.

“For me this epitomises what the Anzac spirit is about. We are facing the incredible odds.

“I’m confident the lads will attack it with that energy and spirit.

“If we do that collectively I’m sure we will certainly challenge and that is what we aim to do.

“I’m sure they will do us proud.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...dds-against-roos/story-fni3fbgz-1226897483754

- - - Updated - - -

Josh Morris, Boyd Cordner the bolters for Kangaroos squad as Jarryd Hayne misses with injury

• NICK WALSHAW
  • FOX SPORTS
  • APRIL 27, 2014 10:00PM

661706-9d169c70-cdf5-11e3-8fb0-f8d7f99ee21f.jpg

Australia will go into Friday’s Test as heavy favourites. Source: AAP

CALL it the greatest sporting mismatch since Christians took on the lions.

Reigning world champions Australia will start $1.14 favourites for the Anzac Test in Sydney this Friday night after New Zealand made a staggering 11 changes to their squad.

Those changes include the addition of a NSW Cup player, minimum wage players and a potential starting hooker, in Siliva Havili, with just three NRL games.

As a result of the bizarre overhaul, the TAB has listed the Kiwis as 7/1 outsiders or the same odds Queensland heavyweight Alex Leapai carried into his world title fight with Ukrainian blaster Wladamir Klitschko on Sunday morning.

“So yes, we’re going to start favourites,’’ Kangaroos coach Tim Sheen said.

“But we know New Zealand will be enthusiastic, will throw everything at us ... you can never underestimate what’s coming out of New Zealand.”

But does the Sydney sports public really buy it?

Knowing that of the team that crunched New Zealand 34-2 in the Cup final, only three changes have been made with Andrew Fifita and Josh Papalii dumped while injured Parramatta superstar Jaryd Hayne has been replaced.

But the Kiwis?

Well, they will be without a host of superstars including Sonny Bill Williams, Keiran Foran, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Frank Pritchard, Isaac Luke, Sam Kasiano and Manu Vatuvei.

While injury accounts for some, there is no doubting the alleged Stilnox drama engulfing coach Stephen Kearney’s side last October has also played a role in the high turnover.

Roosters officials, for example, were shocked to learn Waerea-Hargreaves, Frank-Paul Nuuausala and Shaun Kenny-Dowall had all been overlooked for a squad including Isaac John, Marty Taupau and Ben Henry.

For Australia, the biggest selection news included:

- Kangaroo forwards Fifita and Papalii being dumped from the side that won the Cup final;

- Parramatta star Hayne being sidelined from selection with a shoulder injury;

- Roosters back-rower Boyd Cordner being recalled to the squad with Gold Coast forward Nate Myles;

- Canterbury centre Josh Morris being recalled to partner brother Brett on the Kangaroos right edge.

With South Sydney hooker Luke injured, 21-year-old Warriors rookie Havili has been called into the squad.

“And it worries me when you don’t know much about someone and the national coach picks him to play for New Zealand,’’ Sheens said.

“They obviously know the kid can play, you’re not going to get picked for Test footy otherwise.

“With six debutants in their squad, they’ll be busting to get spots which will make it an intense game.

"I think they’ve got some injuries but I’ve also heard Steve Kearney say he’s planning for the future so he’s going to be blooding blokes as well.

“They’ve beaten us enough times to remind me you can’t go out there and not play well.”

For New Zealand, only six players have been retained from the side that lost to Australia in theWorld Cup final.

They are captain Simon Mannering, prop Sam Moa, winger Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, centre Dean Whare, halfback Shaun Johnson and prop Jesse Bromwich.

Asked if he expected the Sydney public to buy into a Test match where one side seemed hopelessly outclassed, ARL Commissioner John Grant remained coy saying:

“New Zealand is in a position where they lost the World Cup final quite convincingly.

“They have to reinvent themselves.

"And Australia is in the position where we’ve got to stay loyal and pick on form ... I think that’s what you’ve seen in both.”

Asked how close Manly halfback Daly Cherry-Evans had come to starting, Sheens added:

“Look, people said Daly was keeping Cooper Cronk honest.

“But I said he was keeping both halves honest and he still is.

"It’s the same as how Cooper had to wait in the wings behind Darren Lockyer, it’s healthy.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...sses-with-injury/story-fni3fbgz-1226897422406

My best guess for a Kiwis side:

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Jason Nightingale
3. Gerard Beale
4. Dean Whare
5. Pita Hiku
6. Isaac John
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Ben Henry
10. Sam Moa
11. Adam Blair
12. Simon Mannering (c)
13. Greg Eastwood

14. Siliva Havili
15. Tohu Harris
16. Kevin Proctor
17. Martin Taupau

18. Kenneath Bromwich

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't look as bad when you put it together like that in a team, although having Ben Henry & Havili as their hookers verses Cameron Smith is really going to bring them down ultimately i reckon.

Blair shakes off flop tag for Test return

By Matt Encarnacion, Western Sydney Correspondent
NRL.com
9:10pm Sun 27th April, 2014

36848_20_1.jpg

Just one year after being branded the worst signing in rugby league history, an emotional Adam Blair says he never gave up hope of pulling on his beloved Kiwi jumper again.

New Zealand coach Stephen Kearney announced six rookies in an 18-man squad to take on the Kangaroos at Allianz Stadium on May 2 – but the return of Blair completes a stunning comeback.

"It's hard [to take]," Blair said after finding out news of his selection after Sunday afternoon's 22-6 loss to Gold Coast.

"I had no idea. I got texts from 'Mooks' (Kearney) saying to keep working on what I do well and that's about it.

"Being out of it for a couple of years and then working really hard to get back in there, it's finally paid off."

Blair said he always believed he would return to the international arena.

"I always thought I always a chance to be back in there," he said.

"I just had to make sure things went my way and I just never gave up on wanting to be back playing for New Zealand and I think I've worked really hard the last couple of years.

"This year, I think, all the hard work's paying off slowly."

Heralded as a major coup after moving from Melbourne to the Tigers at the end of 2011, Blair had been largely underwhelming in his first two years at Concord.

But the 28-year-old said a switch to lock mid-last year re-invigorated his game and he has been one of the team's most consistent performers this season.

"When the move was made, my job was a little bit simple," he said.

"Before then, it was a little bit all over the shop, I didn't really have a clue on what my job was.

"Once I made my move to the middle, it just narrowed my focus down to just doing my job really well and I think that's worked good for me coming into the season."

Teammate Martin Taupau also earned his first call-up and coach Mick Potter praised both selections.

"They deserve to be picked. They've been consistently really good players for us, two of our best," he said.

"Marty played a lot of reserve grade last year and Blairy, I thought, has been consistent.

"As much as you guys don't tend to give him too much of a wrap, he's been really, really good for the Tigers.

"Even last year and this year, he's been steadily building and does all those little things that not too many people clap about, but they matter to the team and I think he'd be a good asset to the [Kiwi] team."

Potter said Blair has been key to his side's resurgence so far in 2014.

"He was playing on the edge early last year and just the move to the middle has facilitated that a little bit and he's enjoyed all the involvement he's had in the middle," he said.

"At times he's been criticised for lacking involvement but when you're stuck on the edge it's hard to get yourself in the game.

"I think he's fixed that and he's certainly one of our key players."

With six rookies expected to line-up against the current World Cup champions, Blair expected his inexperienced countrymen to make a stand.

"It's a big step up for everyone that's been picked. No one's going to give the team a chance," he said.

"But I think once that jersey's put on, everyone seems to lift another clear, and that'll show come Friday night once the Test match is on.

"No matter who you are or how many games you've played, everyone grows a leg."

http://www.nrl.com/blair-shakes-off-flop-tag-for-test-return/tabid/10874/newsid/77986/default.aspx

Thaiday out, Gillett to debut for Roos

NRL.com
1:15pm Mon 28th April, 2014

Brisbane Broncos forward Matt Gillett will make his Holden Kangaroos debut in Friday night’s Rugby League Test against New Zealand at Sydney’s Allianz Stadium.

Gillett, who joined the Holden Kangaroos in camp this morning, will replace Broncos teammate Sam Thaiday, who has been ruled out of the Test with a calf injury.

Brent Tate has been added to the squad as 18th man.

http://www.nrl.com/thaiday-out,-gillett-to-debut-for-roos/tabid/10874/newsid/77993/default.aspx

The Anzac Test is shaping up as one of the greatest mismatches in Trans-Tasman Test history

• PAUL CRAWLEY
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • APRIL 28, 2014 10:00PM

IT is shaping up as one of the greatest mismatches in the history of Trans-Tasman Test match rugby league.

And it seems no one is buying Kiwi coach Steve Kearney’s story that he picked this team with a focus “on form and obviously with the future in mind”.

In the countdown to Friday night’s international that will struggle to half-fill Allianz Stadium, the New Zealanders were yesterday under fire for turning the match into a farce.

In the aftermath of last year’s World Cup Stilnox scandal that marred the Kiwis’ campaign, Kearney named six Test rookies in his line-up to tackle the Kangaroos and incredibly left out several big-name stars, including the man rated the best prop in the world in Roosters enforcer Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.

Cameron Smith labelled it a “shock”, while vice-captain Paul Gallen said he was “very surprised” Waerea-Hargreaves was axed.

With the Kiwis already without Sonny Bill Williams, Issac Luke, Jeremy Smith and Kieran Foran, Kearney also left out Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Sam Kasiano, Frank-Paul Nuuausala and Alex Glenn from his 18-man squad.

The TAB yesterday slashed the Kangaroos’ odds from $1.14 to $1.10 to win the match — and amazingly the TAB also set a +20.5 start for the Kiwis, which is a record for a mid-season Test against the world’s No. 2 ranked league nation.

And when you take into account the contrasting experience between the two teams, the betting odds are easy to understand.

Fox Sports Stats show while the Kangaroos have 3101 NRL games between them, the Kiwis have just 1326.

Further to that, the Aussies have 264 Tests, the Kiwis 151, and a fair few of those were with developing nations during the World Cup.

The fear now is that footy fans will vote with their feet on Friday night — given they are expected to pay to watch a mismatch, despite being given no rational explanation about the Kiwis’ selection policy.

Kearney yesterday suggested Waerea-Hargreaves’ omission was the result of form.

While there is no question the Roosters prop has had a slow start to the year, he finished last season rated the best in the game — and in his last two club games he has returned to his rampaging best.

Against the Sharks in round seven Gallen said Waerea-Hargreaves was back to his best and then last Friday against the Dragons the big prop charged for 156m from 17 runs that laid the platform for the Roosters’ Anzac Day win.

Asked if he was surprised by Waerea-Hargreaves’ dumping Gallen said:

“Yeah to be honest. Very surprised.’’

And even Smith was left scratching his head when attempting to figure out Kearney’s thinking.

Asked if the public had a right to know the real reason, Smith said:

“If Steve Kearney is willing to give you an answer than I guess they are.

“You will have to speak to him about that and whatever answer he gives you, you will have to take him for his word.

“But I’m not too sure what the reasons are behind his selections. What is there, six debutants?

“I actually didn’t know Jared was only 25. He still has plenty of footy left in him.

“That was one of the shock omissions for me given his form over the last couple of seasons.

“He has been one of the better props going around in our competition.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...man-test-history/story-fni3fbgz-1226898846073

- - - Updated - - -

Matt Gillett says the death of a mate and his grandfathers helped drive him toward a Test jumper

• PETER BADEL
  • NEWS LIMITED
  • APRIL 29, 2014 12:00AM

776646-caf26fee-ce99-11e3-8fb0-f8d7f99ee21f.jpg

Matt Gillett will make his Test debut for Australia on Friday night. Source: News Corp Australia

MATT Gillett has revealed how the death of a good mate and the passing of his grandfathers helped drive him toward the Australia jumper he never expected to wear.

The Broncos utility will celebrate his Test debut against the Kiwis on Friday night, after initially being named Australia’s 18th man.

When Broncos teammate Sam Thaiday (calf) failed a fitness test, Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens delivered the news Gillett had dreamed of hearing.

When the Maroons ace runs on to Sydney’s Allianz Stadium, Gillett will briefly look to the heavens, silently honouring the three men whose tragedies motivated a life-shaping promise.

Five years ago, Gillett’s former Bribie Island teammate Todd Parnell had his life support switched off after being punched at a post-match function.

His attacker was found guilty of manslaughter.

Parnell held a Broncos scholarship — and a 21-year-old Gillett made a vow that their collective dream would help take him all the way in rugby league.

Today, the 25-year-old has made good on his promise.

“I just feel proud, when Tim (Sheens) told me the news, I got goosebumps,’’ Gillett said last night.

“I got emotional telling Mum and Dad and my wife.“I got off the phone all glassy-eyed ... I can’t wait to get out there now.

“It was tragic what happened to Todd.“His life ended pretty early, and I still find it hard to talk about.

“I keep in touch with Todd’s parents. I see the stuff they write on Facebook ... they are still missing him a lot.’’

Gillett will also spare a thought for his grandfathers Vic and Allan, the latter being the inspiration for the naming of Macksville’s Allan Gillett Oval.

Vic died two years ago, while Allan — his passion for league residing in his grandson’s DNA — died before Gillett made his Broncos debut.

“One day Allan went to bed and didn’t wake up,’’ the Maroons forward said.

“He had fallen down some steps at home so that knocked him around a bit.

“The day he died, we were travelling down to see him ... I hope both my pops will be watching down on me.’’

Gillett’s Test baptism has required patience.

Two years ago, he went tantalisingly close when named 18th man for the 2012 trans-Tasman Test.

"I never even thought I was good enough for the NRL, so to get the chance to play for the Broncos was enough for me,’’ Gillett said.

“I can’t wait to get out there, touch the ball and make my first hit-up and tackle for Australia.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...rd-a-test-jumper/story-fni3gv5x-1226898776344

- - - Updated - - -

Billy Slater still Australia’s number one fullback ahead of Greg Inglis

• PAUL CRAWLEY
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • APRIL 28, 2014 10:17PM

859350-f9f5556c-ced1-11e3-8e96-6a6704b39a47.jpg

Australia's Billy Slater celebrates with Greg Inglis after scoring a try. Source: AAP

HOLD your horses GI, Billy Slater is still the game’s number one fullback.

That’s the view of Kangaroos captain Cameron Smith and coach Tim Sheens — even allowing for Inglis’s unbelievable try in last Friday night’s win for Souths.

“There is pressure on Billy no doubt with GI playing there but I still believe that Billy is the best fullback playing in the competition,” Smith said.

“GI is a different player to Billy. He is big and powerful.

"You saw him the other night, he ran 85m and beat seven blokes to score and looked half asleep doing it.

“But I just think Billy is unrivalled in the things that he does on the field that not too many people see.

“The way he communicates with his team. The way he positions our defensive line.

"His positioning across the field when he is shutting down attacking kicks and even long kicks, he rarely doesn’t get to a ball on the full.

“And also in attack he helps with our kicks.

“I don’t think I have come across any other fullback in the game that talks so much and helps other blokes out.

“That is his strength, his communication and his positioning.

“I think there is no one better to have as an Australian fullback.”

Sheens said he never lost faith in Slater.

“I brought him back for the World Cup final last year when there was plenty of pressure to play GI at fullback,’’ Sheens said.

“There was no issue with Billy.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...d-of-greg-inglis/story-fni3fbgz-1226898860076

This really makes you raise an eyebrow at Kearny. Found it on fb, most are injured but there is still a decent amount of players available.

IMG_16410574244145.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Australian fan I would be much more worried facing that side you just posted [MENTION=1175]Afro Zac[/MENTION] than the one we are facing

I can see Australia winning 50+ tbh

- - - Updated - - -

Dropping JWH will go down as one of the dumbest decisions ever made by a coach

Cherry-Evans must bide his time behind Cooper Cronk as Australian halfback

• PAUL CRAWLEY
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • APRIL 29, 2014 12:00AM

887677-8cd12db4-ced9-11e3-8e96-6a6704b39a47.jpg

Daly Cherry Evans in the Kangaroos jersey. Source: News Corp Australia

CAMERON Smith believes Daly Cherry-Evans will be Australia’s next Test captain but the current skipper is adamant the Sea Eagles’ rising superstar still has to bide his time behind Cooper Cronk.

And Smith also maintained his other under-fire Melbourne teammate Billy Slater is still the game’s number one fullback ahead of Greg Inglis.

In the wake of Cherry-Evans phenomenal performance in Manly’s crushing 54-18 victory over Canberra on Sunday, when the Sea Eagles halfback set up seven tries, the calls have grown louder that Cherry-Evans has now overtaken Cronk as the game’s number one halfback.

And it’s the same with the fullback’s debate after Inglis freakish try against the Broncos when the Souths No 1 rampaged past seven defenders on his 85m charge to the tryline.

But Smith yesterday backed both Storm teammates as the rightful owners of the Australian and Queensland No 1 and No 7 jumpers respectively but down the track Smith is convinced Cherry-Evans will be Australia’s next leader.

Former Kangaroo captain Darren Lockyer said last week Cherry-Evans would eventually be the man to take over from Smith and yesterday Smith backed the idea.

“I agree with Locky. I think Daly has got all the attributes of a great leader,” Smith said.

“I can see him having the C next to his name in both Queensland and the Australian sides for a long time to come.

“I have no doubt he will be the Manly skipper soon if he ends up staying and he is going to be around these representative sides for a long time to come.

“He is only a kid but he shows great maturity and that is a big part of being a good leader.

“He is very calm in all the big games, that is why he performs well every time he gets on the paddock.”

But for now Smith is adamant Cronk deserves to keep his job.

While Cherry-Evans has had another flying start to the year, it’s easy to forget Cronk is actually the reigning Dally M Medal winner and while the Storm have had an up-and-down start to 2014 at the World Cup Cronk was sensational for Australia.

He won as many man of the match awards as Cherry-Evans on tour and in the 34-2 in over the Kiwis in the final Cronk and his halves partner Johnathan Thurston were arguably the two best players on the field.

“(Cronk) has won big games for nearly every team he has played in,” Smith recalled.

“He deserves his spot in the number seven. Daly will get his time.”

And as for the Slater v Inglis debate, the Kangaroos captain reckons there is a side to Slater’s game that just doesn’t get enough recognition even allowing for Inglis’ unbelievable try in last Friday night’s win for Souths.

“There is pressure on Billy no doubt with GI playing there but I still believe that Billy is the best fullback playing in the competition at the moment,” Smith said.

“GI is obviously a different player to Billy. He is big and powerful.

"You saw him the other night, he ran 85 metres and beat seven blokes to score and he looked half asleep doing it.

“But I just think Billy is unrivalled in the things that he does on the field that not too many people see.

“The way he communicates with his team. The way he positions our defensive line.

"His positioning across the field when he is shutting down attacking kicks and even long kicks, he rarely doesn’t get to a ball on the full.

“And also in attack he helps with our kicks.

“I don’t think I have come across any other fullback in the game that talks so much and helps other blokes out.

“That is his strength, his communication and his positioning.

“I think at the moment there is no one better to have as an Australian fullback.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...tralian-halfback/story-fni3fbgz-1226898887275

- - - Updated - - -

James Tamou admits Andrew Fifita’s axing has given him a rep selection wake up call

• DARREN WALTON
  • AAP
  • APRIL 29, 2014 10:16AM

350808-b43ff856-cf30-11e3-8fb0-f8d7f99ee21f.jpg

James Tamou has had an up and down season to start 2014. Source: News Corp Australia

JAMES Tamou says Andrew Fifita’s axing from Australia’s World Cup-winning line-up has also given him a jolt ahead of Friday night’s trans-Tasman Test in Sydney.

The New Zealand-born front-rower admits his own NRL form for North Queensland has been down this season and seeing Fifita relegated on Monday to this weekend’s City-Country fixture was a wake-up call.

“With Fifita not being part of it, being dropped, I’m more relieved. I was next with the way that I think that I’m going,” Tamou told AAP.

“It just goes to show that you can’t just walk into this team.

“Fifita, I think, is still one of the best front-rowers going and for him to be dropped like that is a sort of blessing, I guess, and I’m not going to take it any other way.

“I’m going to go on Friday night and just rip in.”

The former Junior Kiwi will line up for his ninth Test for the Kangaroos after switching allegiances to Australia in 2012.

Tamou, 26, says it’s inevitable he’ll encounter some lingering resentment from New Zealand fans.

“I probably would still cop it, but it being in Sydney probably helps,” he said.

“I’ve been around it for the last three years now so it’s easy to rub off now and just get on with the game.”

As a New Zealand native, Tamou believes being branded a team of nobodies will only inspire the Kiwi underdogs at Allianz Stadium.

“It just puts fuel on the fire for them,” Tamou said.

“They may have picked a side with debutants here and there, but the side they have picked, the players are actually in form at the moment and their best players going.

“So it’s not a mug team by any matters, but that just puts more pressure on us.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ion-wake-up-call/story-fni3fbgz-1226899350834

Feast of Rep Round offers for Sydney fans

NRL
4:50pm Tue 29th April, 2014

A $40 adult ‘seat and eat’ ticket to watch the World Cup Final replay between the Holden Kangaroos and the New Zealand Kiwis is on offer for this Friday night’s Test match at Allianz Stadium.

Situated on the East section on level 2, ‘seat and eat’ fans will be able to enjoy a selection of food items including chips, nachos, sandwiches, fresh fruit, popcorn and soft drinks.

Junior ‘seat and eat’ tickets ($25) and family ‘seat and eat’ tickets ($110) are also available.

Loud and proud fans can also purchase tickets (adult $40) to sit in the ‘Roo Crew’ area – a specially created section for the most passionate of fans with a supporter flag and t-shirt also included in the ticket price.

Fans will also get to see the best female players in the country play in the Women’s All Stars versus the Indigenous Women’s All Stars.

This is the first time the women’s teams have played a curtain-raiser to a Kangaroos Test.

NRL Head of Marketing, Mr Lewis Pullen, said this is the first Test match in Sydney since 2008 and fans should expect a fantastic Rugby League experience.

“It’s simply one of the best Australian teams in recent history and Sydney NRL fans will get the opportunity to see the likes of Cameron Smith play alongside Johnathan Thurston and interstate rivals Paul Gallen and Greg Bird,” Mr Pullen said.

“Combined with some of the incredible talent in the Kiwis team with players such as Shaun Johnson and the likes of Sam Moa suiting up against his Roosters team-mate Boyd Cordner, there will be some great rivalry on display.

“The ticket offers have been designed to ensure fans get value for money. We have packages that include food and beverages.

“We’re also helping those passionate fans who want to sit in the Roo Crew show their Australian colours with the inclusion of flags and T-shirts.”

There is also a designated section for New Zealand fans, with tickets available for $25.

Junior passes will be accepted at the Test match, but junior pass holders need to redeem a ticket at one of the box offices before the match.

Junior passes admit holders to Category 3 seats.

http://www.nrl.com/feast-of-rep-round-offers-for-sydney-fans-/tabid/10874/newsid/78038/default.aspx

Crowd numbers for international Test match adding up to be dark day for rugby league

• DEAN RITCHIE
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • APRIL 30, 2014 12:00AM

098271-cf704a7e-cf7e-11e3-8fb0-f8d7f99ee21f.jpg

Greg Inglis and Billy Slater during Kangaroos training. Source: News Corp Australia

THIS could one of the most embarrassing moments in rugby league’s history.

A poor crowd is one thing, but an international Test match being toppled by penalty-goal dominated rugby union would just about be the end.

Australia’s clash against a substandard New Zealand side on Friday night at Allianz Stadium is tracking for a crowd of 19,000 to 20,000.

Just 24 hours later at the same venue, the NSW Waratahs play New Zealand Super Rugby side the Hurriances and early predictions suggest 17,000 fans will turn up to watch that match.

A late surge from the rah-rahs could see them eclipse the mighty Roos, and enjoy some healthy bragging rights.

Australia will again field a team of stars including Greg Inglis, Cam Smith, Paul Gallen, Johnathan Thurston and Billy Slater.

Yet ticket sales are slow given New Zealand’s fragile looking line-up.

“One is an international sport — the other is a domestic sport,” said former Wallaby coach John Connolly.

“(League Tests) are a mismatch and people want to see competition. I like league but that’s the reality.

“If the Bulldogs were playing Souths there would be 40,000 there, because it will be a battle. Both sports have a place in the market place.”

A third player this week is the City-Country clash in Dubbo.

Locals are saying that game, to be played at Apex Oval, could draw a crowd of around 15,500.

It is difficult to imagine Sydney securing another rugby league Test for a while should they attract a lesser attendance than a Super Rugby game.

And the ARL is offering cheap seats for the league Test.

“Sydney sporting fans have the rare chance to see some of the greats of the modern era in any code this weekend at Allianz Stadium,” said Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust chief executive Jamie Barkley.

“Whether it’s Johnathon Thurston, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith in Kangaroos jerseys on Friday night or Waratahs headline acts Israel Folau, Kurtley Beale and giant South African Jacques Potgieter on Saturday night.”

Kangaroo players urged the Sydney footy public to head to Allianz Stadium on Friday evening.

“We hope it is a good turn-up,” said Australian winger Brett Morris.

“You always want to play in front of a big crowd at home.

“And this is our (Brett and brother Josh) first Test together in Sydney.

"Hopefully it will be a sellout. Test jumpers don’t come along that often.”

Josh added: “It’s been a while since there was a Test in Sydney.

“The fans love the Anzac Test so hopefully there will be a big crowd on Friday night.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...for-rugby-league/story-fni3fbgz-1226900097768

- - - Updated - - -

New Zealand Kiwi’s side a debutants bore, writes NRL360 host Paul Kent

• PAUL KENT
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH

168556-3565bec2-cf70-11e3-8fb0-f8d7f99ee21f.jpg

L to R: Siliva Havili, Martin Taupau, Kenny Bromwich, Isaac John, Ben Henry, and Peta Hiku are the debutants in the New Zealand Rugby League team. Picture: John Appleyard Source: News Corp Australia

IF New Zealand do not care enough about Friday’s Test to name their strongest team available then why should the rest of us?

Kiwi coach Steve Kearney might have legitimate reasons for leaving out the likes of Sonny Bill Williams, Shaun Kenny-Dowell and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.

Maybe he dislikes triple barrelled names.

Or maybe there are reasons we are not being told, which might be completely legitimate but means fans are being short changed again, even while asked to pay at the gate.

Or could it be as simple as Kearney insists, that Waerea-Hargreaves’ performances could not justify selection ahead of Jesse Bromwich, Martin Taupau, Sam Moa and Greg Eastwood?

But that would be to ignore Waerea-Hargreaves’ influence, a man who is more than just a prop.

He is who the Kiwis look toward to bring a little iron to their game. He is the first player the Australians look for.
Yet on the twin criteria of form and future Kearney could find no place for him for Friday’s Test.

Williams made it easy for Kearney when he withdrew earlier this month, in apparent protest at being implicated in the Kiwis’ Stilnox scandal at last year’s World Cup.

Kearney dismissed Williams’ omission by saying he would not have been picked anyway.

He was picking players for the future, and given Williams was returning to Super 15 he had no future.

Which brings it back to Waerea-Hargreaves, just 25 and expected to be in his prime come the next World Cup.

He is the Kiwis’ future.

Just not their present apparently.The sniff that won’t go away is last year’s Stilnox scandal.

The Kiwis players, Williams and the injured Kieran Foran, several others, are upset at Kearney and the New Zealand Rugby League at first being implicated in the scandal, and secondly at their failure to defend them.

The investigation had no transparency, and in a bid smother it by refusing to discuss it the NZRU sullied a dozen reputations.

Here were dull minds at work.

Now Kearney adds to it by steadfastly refusing to discuss anything about the Kiwis’ selection process.

So the whiff of Stilnox hangs over this Test like a dirty cloud.

The failure of the Kiwis to keep faith with the fans, hindered by a misguided management and a high rate of injured players (Foran, Issac Luke and Jeremy Smith) reinforces calls the annual mid-season representative round needs to go.

The Kiwis can’t compete and the NRL competition suffers for it.

The NRL receives $200 million a season to put on a competition which, this year, got off to a poor start.

Poor crowds and disappointing television ratings in the opening rounds had many questioning the brains trust at NRL headquarters, who allowed poor scheduling and a lack of foresight to shadow the season start.

The League responded by saying don’t worry, give the competition time and the crowds will return.

And it finally looked to be true when brilliant Easter weekend crowds rolled straight into Anzac Day games that had the competition humming.

And then the handbrake went on for representative round.

Instead of rolling forward again this weekend the NRL teams all get the week off and viewers get a chance to break the habit they had just found themselves in because half the main event this weekend can’t be bothered to pick a full-strength team.

It’s not like they can afford it, either. The Kiwis haven’t won this Test, played annually, since 1998.

Then on Saturday it’s the Fiji-Samoa Test, where anybody who cares about that will be getting in for free, their names on the list at the gate that contains friends and family.

Sunday’s City-Country game should remain, but should be played on a Thursday before a normal home-and-away round.It is about time fans are treated as the most important commodity, and not just another income source.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...0-host-paul-kent/story-fni3fh9n-1226900168418

- - - Updated - - -

Anzac Test sees Morris brothers Brett and Josh closing in on sibling record

• DEAN RITCHIE
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH

HERE is the green. Now for the gold.

And Australia will look to strike pure gold on their left-side attack when the dynamic Morris brothers — Josh and Brett — combine against a weakened New Zealand on Friday night at Allianz Stadium.

Amid an unusual tropical background at the team’s hotel in the Sydney CBD, Brett and Josh spoke of their pride and emotion of playing yet another Test match together.

Friday night will be the fourth time the 27-year-old twins have played together at the top level, equalling Newcastle’s Andrew and Matthews Johns for fourth on the all-time list of brothers representing Australia.

By full-time, they will be just one Test behind Darren and Jason Smith and three behind the great Thornett brothers, Ken and Richard

.“It is an achievement we are very proud of,” Brett said.

“Playing one Test together was special but four makes it all the more special.

“It is always good to play with Josh. We played together for 20-odd years. We know each other’s habits.

“Sometimes I’d like to think I know what he is doing before it happens. It’s instinct and that certainly helps.”

It is the first time the Kiama-born sons of former St George winger Steve Morris have represented Australia in Sydney, and Josh admits running out on to the field on Friday night will be a special moment.

“Playing four Tests together is an achievement,” Josh said.

“It is our first Test together in Sydney.

“It will be a special occasion not just for us but also for our family.”

Asked was Brett a brother on the field or just another player, Josh said:

“Definitely a brother. When he does something good I want to do something good.“That is how it has always been.”

The tryscoring freaks could be responsible for more records falling against a weakened New Zealand side.

Dragons winger Brett has scored 103 NRL tries, while Canterbury centre Josh has crossed for 89 during his career.

If you’re a Kiwi, their Test stats look just as alarming.

Brett has scored 21 tries in his 17 Test and Josh has four tries in five Tests.

They’ve combined for five tries in their three games for the Kangaroos together so far, and the TAB has Brett at $7 to be the first tryscorer on Friday night, with Josh a $9 chance.

The brothers, though, aren’t being fooled into thinking this Test will be a walkover.

Many disagree though with the Kiwis rank outsiders to win away from home.

“We’re certainly not writing them off,” Brett said.

“They have picked their side on form.

“They are all playing good footy at club level.

“Gerard Beale and Jason Nightingale have been two of our (St George Illawarra) best this season.“There are no easy Test matches.”

Brothers who have played together for Australia in single Test match:

8 Kevin and Steve Walters

7 Ken and Richard Thornett

5 Jason and Darren Smith

4 Andrew and Matthew Johns

3 Brett and Josh Morris

2 Bill and Viv Farnsworth

2 Kevin and Kerrod Walters

*Brett and Josh Morris will play their fourth Test match together on Friday night

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n-sibling-record/story-fni3fbgz-1226899951943

New Zealand coach Stephen Kearney considering using Tohu Harris at five-eighth for Test

• AAP
  • APRIL 30, 2014 11:20AM

724155-966810ba-d003-11e3-8e96-6a6704b39a47.jpg

Tohu Harris shapes as the likely five-eighth for the Kiwis this Friday. Source: News Corp Australia

NEW Zealand coach Steve Kearney is reportedly planning another selection shock by picking forward Tohu Harris at five-eighth against Australia in Friday’s rugby league Test.

It’s a move which, on paper, would pit Melbourne second-rower Harris against the skills of Kangaroos champion Jonathan Thurston in an Allianz Stadium Test which already shapes as a mismatch.

The New Zealand Herald reports Kearney doesn’t see any alternative with likely choices Kieran Foran, Thomas Leuluai and Josh Hoffman all unavailable through injury.

He is said to be reluctant to use Isaac John, who has been playing in reserve grade for Penrith and is likely to be the 18th man.

It seems a huge call on Harris, the one-Test player who was bumped from last year’s World Cup Kiwis squad when Sonny Bill Williams belatedly made himself available.

But Kearney has not been short on big calls this week, axing Sydney Roosters stars Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Frank-Paul Nu’uausala and centre Shaun Kenny-Dowall while calling up six uncapped players and declaring he didn’t even consider rugby-bound superstar Williams.

The NZ Herald says the Kiwis feel the need for another big, strong defender against world champions Australia and Harris fits that bill

Harris would not play as a conventional five-eighth.Rather he would line up on one edge on defence and be used as another ball-player through the middle on attack, leaving halfback Shaun Johnson to lead the attack on both sides.

In another position up for grabs, due to injury to Issac Luke, Warriors utility Ben Henry is set to start at hooker, with Siliva Havili providing cover off the bench.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...eeighth-for-test/story-fni3fbgz-1226900724233

Kearney is a ****wit, Harris at 6? Isaac John actually has looked good in all the games he's played for Penrith.

Stephen Kearney = Rugby League Genius :lol:

This game will be a massacre, The Kangaroos by at least 50

New Zealand name their starting 17

1. Peta Hiku
2. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
3. Dean Whare
4. Gerard Beale
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Isaac John
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Ben Henry
10. Sam Moa
11. Simon Mannering (c)
12. Kevin Proctor
13. Adam Blair

14. Silvia Havali
15. Martin Taupau
16. Greg Eastwood
17. Tohu Harris

18. Kenneath Bromwich

Last edited:
Thurston v John: league's David v Goliath

By James MacSmith and Darren Walton
AAP
10:45am Wed 30th April, 2014

One is the reigning Golden Boot winner with 30 rugby league Tests to his name, the other is a Penrith reserve grader in his debut international.

The gulf in experience and reputation between opposing five-eighths in Friday's Test, Australia's Johnathan Thurston and New Zealand's Isaac John, could not be more pronounced.

Thurston is rated as rugby league's greatest player while John is languishing in Penrith's NSW Cup side.

But John can call upon Kiwi legend Olsen Filipaina for inspiration ahead of the duo's Allianz Stadium showdown.

Filipaina etched his named in New Zealand folklore when, in a modern day David and Goliath tale, he was plucked out of Balmain Tigers' reserve grade side in 1985 and led the Kiwis to a famous win at Carlaw Park, while marking none other than the great Wally Lewis.

New Zealand have been hit hard by injuries with playmakers Kieran Foran, Thomas Leuluai and Josh Hoffman all unavailable to fill the No.6 jersey and Rabbitohs rake Issac Luke out with a shoulder injury.

Kiwi coach Stephen Kearney on Wednesday named John to partner Shaun Johnson in the halves.

Fellow debutant Ben Henry will play hooker.

Despite the gap in reputations of Thurston and John, Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens stressed the North Queensland co-captain would need to be on his game.

"Johnno just has to worry about his game," Sheens said.

"The Kiwi boys will just be looking to play well themselves, and Johnathan's the same.

"I'm sure the effort will be there. No matter who plays for the Kiwis, it's the same with the Australian jumper - you'll get an effort. The intensity's always there."

The Kiwis are rated rank outsiders for the match, a fact coach Stephen Kearney is well aware of.

"We've had a solid couple of days together, and all the lads have really impressed me with their enthusiasm and energy," Kearney said.

"We're under no illusions about the task ahead of us - the Aussies are a world champion side and we will have to be on top of our game to match them.

"But we have confidence in our talent, and there's definitely a spirit in this group that augurs well for this game and beyond."

http://www.nrl.com/thurston-v-john-leagues-david-v-goliath/tabid/10874/newsid/78045/default.aspx

Last edited:
Australia v New Zealand preview

By Tony Webeck
NRL.com
3:30pm Wed 30th April, 2014

36925_20_1.jpg

Australia v New Zealand

Allianz Stadium, Sydney
Friday, 7.30pm

In that parallel universe where rugby league Tests are decided on paper, this one doesn't end well for the New Zealanders.

As Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens has stuck solid with the men who won him a World Cup just six months ago, Kiwis mentor Stephen Kearney has stocked his side with players he thinks can be world champions in 2017.

The Kiwis boast half the amount of Test experience of their Aussie counterparts (264 games to 133) but the gap between the two sides becomes more evident when you take Simon Mannering, Adam Blair, Jason Nightingale and Greg Eastwood out of the equation.

The remaining 14 members of the New Zealand squad have played three more Tests combined than Kangaroos captain Cameron Smith (40-37).

With six debutants and just five remaining players from the side that contested November's World Cup Final, it's an extraordinary clean-out by Kearney who was reappointed as Kiwi coach in February for a further two years with an option for another two that would take him through to the next World Cup.

With debutants in Peta Hiku, Isaac John, Ben Henry, Siliva Havili, Martin Taupau and Kenny Bromwich, Kearney certainly appears to be working towards a four-year plan, although injuries have also decimated his squad.

Hooker Issac Luke remains sidelined with a shoulder injury, Kieran Foran went down with a knee injury the week before the side was named and Frank Pritchard is nursing a torn pectoral muscle that will keep him off the field for the majority of the season.

Jeremy Smith, Sam McKendry, Josh Hoffman and Jason Taumalolo were also unavailable but the omissions of Alex Glenn, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Ben Matulino, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Manu Vatuvei and Frank-Paul Nuuausala raised eyebrows on both sides of the Tasman.

The selection of John from the New South Wales Cup is a throwback to the mid-1980s when cult figure Olsen Filipaina was plucked from Balmain reserve grade to inspire his nation to victory while Willie Talau enjoyed the same ascension when chosen by then Kiwi coach Daniel Anderson in 2003.

The Kangaroos weren't without their own selection headaches with a shoulder injury ruling out Jarryd Hayne while Boyd Cordner and Nate Myles were preferred over Josh Papalii and Andrew Fifita.

But while Sheens was able to cure his ills with a nice cup of tea and a lie down, Kearney was forced to wrestle with a Sonny Bill Williams-sized migraine before settling on his squad.

Footy's a funny game but it will take the greatest upset in 30 years of international rugby league for the Kiwis to topple their paper giants.

With a host of great ticket options and free entry for junior pass holders, there's no reason not to be there.

Those wishing to use a junior pass for entry into the Test need to redeem a ticket at one of the box offices which will secure a spot in a Category 3 seating section.

Watch Out Kangaroos:

It's a brave man who'd suggest that losing a winger seven minutes into a World Cup Final changed the course of the game but there's no doubt Kiwi winger Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will feel he has some unfinished Kangaroos business to attend to.

Having been in doubt the entire week leading up to the final, RTS was cleared to play but then suffered a fractured leg and left the field with the scores locked at 2-all.

He missed the Roosters' World Club Challenge win but coach Trent Robinson has been quick to utilise his extraordinary attacking skills to their greatest effect since.

When the Roosters are in the opposition half Tuivasa-Sheck shifts to the fullback position in attack and this extra dimension to his game will be a godsend to Kearney on Friday night and into the future.

In eight games so far in 2014 he has made four line breaks, scored three tries and provided two try assists and while he may start on the wing in just his third Test appearance, the Kangaroos should be ready to see those fast feet at any point on the field at any time of the game.

Watch Out Kiwis:

Amidst the hysteria surrounding Daly Cherry-Evans's claims to a Test No.7 jersey there have been some who have been quick to overlook one important factor:

Incumbent halves Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston have been in terrific form.

Their respective teams have not had the start to 2014 many expected but the Storm No.7 and Cowboys five-eighth have lost none of the attacking spark that tore the Kiwis apart six months ago.

Cronk sits alongside Brett Stewart for most try assists in the NRL with 11, Thurston hot on their heels with nine.

Against Manly two weeks ago 'JT' laid on three tries in a masterful performance while Cronk boasts a try assist in each of the seven games he has played for the Storm this season.

Cherry-Evans's claims are genuine but the Kiwis need to shut these two champions down before they go worrying about the next generation.

Plays To Watch:

With such limited preparation – and with so many new faces in the Kiwi team – game plans will be kept to their most basic.

With arguably the greatest hooker forward to have ever played the game facing off in the Test arena against a 22-year-old on Test debut, the biggest mismatch is in the most important part of the field.

When he runs out on Friday night for his 38th Test Cameron Smith will pass Clive Churchill to become the eighth most-capped Kangaroo of all time and should pass Johnny Raper, Reg Gasnier (both 39) and Brad Fittler (40) by the end of the year.

Going head-to-head with a part-time No.9 in Ben Henry, Smith will orchestrate a Kangaroo stampede through the middle of the ruck and then let his halves apply the polish.

The Kiwis' great strength lies in their outside backs but they will have to assert themselves up front before trying to get Tuivasa-Sheck, Dean Whare and Peta Hiku into space on the edges.

Where It Will Be Won:

As mentioned previously, the experience and class of the Kangaroos in the middle of the ruck and in the halves are trump cards that the Kiwis appear to simply have no match for.

The combination of Smith, Cronk and Thurston has been dominant at international level for the past two years and they will punish any errors or opportunities that the Kiwis offer them.

Shaun Johnson will have inexperienced eyes looking at him for direction from both inside and out and as brilliantly talented as he is, that is far too great a load for a 23-year-old to bear.

The History: Played 126; Australia 94, New Zealand 29, drawn 3

When the Kiwis backed up their 2008 World Cup win with a shock upset of the Kangaroos in the final of the 2010 Four Nations tournament, the balance of power appeared to have shifted sufficiently to be at least approaching parity.

But seven consecutive victories by the Australians has re-defined world rugby league's pecking order, culminating with the lopsided 34-2 World Cup triumph last November.

There have been five meetings of these teams at Allianz Stadium and it's been a whitewash to the home side, including wins of 44-0, 48-6 and 30-6.

The closest New Zealand have come to defeating Australia at Allianz came in the 2006 Tri-Nations Final when Darren Lockyer scored in extra time to earn his side a 16-12 win.

In one of the most gripping Test matches ever played, the game only progressed to golden point when the video referee denied a try to Johnathan Thurston in the dying seconds.

Match Officials:

Referee - Shayne Hayne; Touch Judges - Russell Turner & Anthony Elliott; Video Referees - Bernard Sutton & Luke Patten.

Televised:

Channel Nine – Live 7.30pm (Qld & NSW).

The Way We See It:

I'm old enough to remember the fighting spirit the Kiwis showed when they were cobbled together in the 1980s to terrorise 'big brother' but the game has come a long way since then and modern fairytales so often have unfulfilling conclusions.

Only the staunchest Kiwi with Speights running through their veins could possibly wager that their team will win on Friday night but when you give quality footballers the chance to elevate their game to another level and against all the odds, amazing things can happen.

There is an abundance of class in the Kiwi outside backs but getting them quality ball in good position on the park will be the greatest challenge they face against a hardened, well-drilled Kangaroos outfit.

Australia by 18 points.

http://www.nrl.com/australia-v-new-zealand-preview/tabid/10874/newsid/78060/default.aspx

Last edited:
Tim Sheens admits he will look to inject more youth into the Kangaroos following Anzac Test

• CHRIS GARRY
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • MAY 01, 2014 12:00AM

346478-8464787a-d014-11e3-8e96-6a6704b39a47.jpg

Tim Sheens will begin the Kangaroos’ evolution after the Anzac Test. Source: News Corp Australia

WITH an average age of 28.5 the Kangaroos team set to annihilate the depleted Kiwis on Friday is the last of a dying breed.

Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens has revealed younger players will be ushered into the Australian team following Friday night’s Test in Sydney.

The end of year Four Nations will be the start of a transitional period for Australia, looking forward to the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

However it is the Kangaroos’ key-position players that are on the wrong side of 30 and considering they are modern-day greats it will be difficult for selectors to judge who will be at their best in 2017.

Johnathan Thurston, Cameron Smith and Billy Slater will all be 34 when the World Cup kicks off while Cooper Cronk will be 33.

Typically, key-position players are past their best at that age but they are such competitors it will be very hard to judge whether time has passed them by.

Corey Parker turns 32 next week but is playing the best football of his career.

He will be 35 by the next World Cup but selectors would be brave phasing him out of the team considering he is one of the NRL’s best forwards.

“There is no doubt there will be a transition. You can never pick who it is going to be,” Sheens said.

“I brought it to the league’s attention 15 months ago that between the World Cups there was going to be an issue.

“There’s no doubt there will be a percentage of younger player coming through.

“Darren Lockyer played until his mid-30s though.

“They are great athletes and great athletes who look after themselves … you don’t know where they will be in three years’ time.

“In the squad for the Four Nations there will be an element of younger player but we are not going to just throw a younger player into the squad at the expense of an older player if he’s playing well.

“We already have that mid-20s age group in Daly Cherry-Evans, Jarryd Hayne, Greg Inglis and you would think they would become the leaders.”

Friday night’s Test is unlikely to shed light on which players are tapped on the shoulder as the Kiwis are set to play Penrith reserve grader Isaac John at five-eighth.

For all the talk this week regarding the merits of this Test, it is the deliberately understrength Kiwi side that is perhaps doing the code the greatest disservice.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/tim-sheens-admits-he-will-look-to-inject-more-youth-into-the-kangaroos-following-anzac-test/story-fni3fbgz-1226901346506

- - - Updated - - -

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves says he feels he deserved a call from coach Steve Kearney after being axed

• PAUL CRAWLEY
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • APRIL 30, 2014 10:00PM

JARED Waerea-Hargreaves has lifted the lid on his shock axing from the New Zealand Test team, declaring he feels he at least deserved a call from coach Steve Kearney.

Rated the game’s most feared front-rower, the Roosters enforcer was sensationally dumped this week from a severely depleted Kiwi team that will include six debutants when they tackle the Kangaroos tomorrow night.

Kearney cited “form” and “a focus on the future” as the main reasons behind his selection bombshells.

Asked if he expected a call from Kearney, Waerea-Hargreaves said: “I guess that is the way it works. You stay in touch.

“I think there should have been a call for sure. And I think there should even be a call now.”

But Waerea-Hargreaves said his dumping would not impact his desire to win back his Test spot for the end of season Four Nations — and he even plans to go to tomorrow night’s game to support his mates.

“Obviously I am extremely disappointed, he said.

“Not just at not being selected but after hearing that it has got to do with form and the future plans of the Kiwis, when I heard that sort of stuff I started thinking I am only 25.

“I am not really coming to the end of my career.

“I am wishing all the players all the very best and I wish I could be out there with them.

“I am going to bottle it up and use it in a positive way for the Roosters and I look forward to playing the Tigers next week.”

Waerea-Hargreaves admits his form at the start of the year was down but the disrupted pre-season because of the World Cup had impacted many players and over the past two weeks he has been back to his best for the Roosters.

He said he was buoyed by the support he had received from the public and fellow players.But Kearney’s distant approach had left him stunned.

“The thing I was disappointed about was that I hadn’t received a phone call to say; ‘Well, Jared, maybe you should pick your form up. Maybe you need to be doing a bit more’.

“But I am all good, I am staying positive. I am a pretty positive person.

“We have had a few days off so I have had a bit of time to go away and refresh and spend a bit of time away from footy and I am back and ready to start ripping in.

“It is very humbling to hear some of the support I have had. Not only from the public but the other teams and my own teammates.

“It just shows how awesome this game actually is.”

There has been a dark cloud hanging over the Kiwis ever since the World Cup following an internal investigation into a supposed “Stilnox scandal”.

It is understood Kiwi players were filthy after some names were leaked in the media.

Waerea-Hargreaves’ name was never mentioned — but asked if he felt his reputation had now been tarnished, Waerea-Hargreaves was adamant:

“No way. Definitely not, no way.

“I have never had anything to do with any of that.

“And that has been blown out of proportion. Every player will absolutely agree with me there.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...after-being-axed/story-fni3fbgz-1226901300574

Last edited:
Back