Toohey's News

There’s a lot of difference in what you do in defence after contact between Union and league too, this was Leo’s big weakness area when he started in first grade for us and it’s honestly kind of crazy that he’s improved so much so quickly. So let’s not put too much pressure on Tyrone to do the same just because they’re twins. Doesn’t mean it’s literally the same person.

I wonder if Rugby Union is struggling in the UK as well? I don’t follow Union so I really don’t have any idea.
It is struggling. A few traditional clubs like Wasps have gone under and many others are struggling financially. The better players are moving to France for the money. There is a rule that to play for England you have to play in the Premiership but increasingly players are voting with their feet. Rugby League isn’t exactly thriving either though. Everything struggles against football.

18/4/2024
Gagai will have to take a big paycut to remain with Schiller more in our forward plans than a 34 year old.

The dogs left side attack might see Tuala moved to the right to mark Addo-Carr.

Our tactical kicking has been terrible and Ponga won't be kicking this week.

Frizzel and Fletcher Sharpe are both rehabing from hamstring injuries. Frizz is a chance next week but more likely in 2 weeks - Sharpe at least 2 weeks.

O'Brien, Buderus and Parr went down to watch the SG Ball semi final. Connor Votano impressed them and he has been training with firstgrade this week.

4 Under 17s girls in the semi final this week have former NRL fathers - props Brooklyn Davico and Lilly Ryan are daughters of Luke Davico and Andrew Ryan - halfback Isla Hodgson's father is former Parra, Bulldogs and Titans half Michael Hodgson, and 18th player Dior O'Davis is Robbie's daughter.

How old do they need to be? Sioni Matautia was 17 playing for Australia wasn’t he?
Sione had just turned 18.
You have to be 18 to play firstgrade, but a few years ago they changed it to you have to be turning 19 in the year you debut, so Votano is a year young.
Although they made an exception for that Sualli guy for the Roosters because he was good enough apparently.

Physically he's not ready, at all. Mentally maybe, but he's a fantastic FB with some ball skills at his age. Let him develop, no need to rush him. KP at fullback is the block and KP is too good at FB to move. Whether Connor is happy to play first grade for us at centre or wing is the issue.

See these FB logjams all over the comp now it's really the only position you can get away with not being a beast in yardage and knowing how to tackle.

25/4

Long statement on how and why Dan Saifiti needs to step up, for himself and the team.

Says Crossland needs to start, but doesn't say what position.

Says Leo is currently on 350k and has been offered a 4 year upgraded deal.

Tom Cant has offers from other clubs including the Cowboys.

Hope we keep Cant. He's a good squad member, captain of the Cup team, and probably a higher ceiling at this stage than Elliott or Jones.

25/4

Long statement on how and why Dan Saifiti needs to step up, for himself and the team.

Says Crossland needs to start, but doesn't say what position.

Says Leo is currently on 350k and has been offered a 4 year upgraded deal.

Tom Cant has offers from other clubs including the Cowboys.

Pretty sure he has made that statement about either Saf several times in the past.

The thing is if D.Saf decides to put in now, you just know it's only temporary and he will go back to phoning it in soon enough.

We shouldn't be re-signing him.

Pretty sure he has made that statement about either Saf several times in the past.

The thing is if D.Saf decides to put in now, you just know it's only temporary and he will go back to phoning it in soon enough.

We shouldn't be re-signing him.
We have him until end of 2026 I believe. I don't think the club would be too concerned with contract extensions at this point.

Back