Sau vs Lulia

Who would you select as our starting left centre for the remainder of the season?

• Total voters
Lulia is playing great in the second row and I think getting him into the action inside of S'au isn't a bad idea for short periods in the game. They can even switch it around every now and then.

It's a tough call...Lulia looks dangerous everytime he touches the ball, but S'au keeps bulldozing up the field and making meters without ever looking like he's going to break into open field. If i was coach though I'd turn S'au into a backrower and just have him run all day.

Sau doesn't need more experience, he's already played 75 games, around the same as most of our team.

Sau is still inexperienced I think, adding his age into the equation. Someone whose book I read reckons you aren't an NRL player until you've player 100 games ... someone by the name of Wayne Bennett!

S'au should never have been re-signed. Lulia anyway of the week.

Madness.

Yea but the point everyone seems to completely avoiding is that the form Lulia is currently in has come about when Stone has played him in the back row. Im not saying its his best position but the point I want to make is that he EASILY has Ciraldo covered as a backrower. & if I were to make any changes to our team this week I would drop Ciraldo for Lulia...

Nah I'm more referring to Lulia's form at centre, before MacDougall returned.

Fair enough. But anyways on the topic Lulia is available to us now, he is a better option than Sa'u atm, so why not pick him? We should be focused on success this year not next year, just yet. Leave success for next year until next year!

Exactly.

Why was Lulia so much better then Sau on sunday? I must of missed it

Not so much Sunday, but just Lulia's earlier games at centre. Sau was great against the Gold Coast, but did come up with a few poor plays against Canberra. I'm not saying drop him over a few non-passes, just that overall, given the form right now of both players, Lulia is the man for the spot.

Sau could potentially take Lulia's bench spot and create havoc, I might add.

What minute was that around roughly Josh? when he made his LB?

When i saw it happen i was behind the play looking at his back so it may not be exactly how i saw it, but when i watch the game again i'll tell you what minute.

S'au should never have been re-signed. Lulia anyway of the week.

Sau was probably re-signed off potential; but if we took potential off the table, Wes would probably be worth more then Sau this year. Not only form, but also the positions he can play and he can kick goals. I guess Bennett sees he can do something with him (Sau) so we'll see how that goes. But if Sau fails to live upto the hype and his next contract runs out itll be very interesting to see what we do.

When i saw it happen i was behind the play looking at his back so it may not be exactly how i saw it, but when i watch the game again i'll tell you what minute.
I'm pretty sure the one you are talking about was when he was about to pass, and got tackled from behind and dropped it. He would of passed before the fullback, but didn't see the guy behind.

I don't know why you are all accusing Sau of not passing, Lulia hasn't passed to Uate at all this season when at centre, neither had Naiqama before that... MacDougall is the only guy to pass all year, and Uate has got 4 tries from it

During the match against the Raiders he attempted to pass the ball, but the passes were shocking and killed the play. Its not so much that he hogs the ball, its that he is a terrible passer IMO. Other than that he made some good runs and was solid in defence. If Sau works on and improves his passing he will be one of the best centres of the game.

I haven't been a fan of Junior Sau for a while now. Stephen Kearney picked up on his form slump fairly quickly dropping him from the kiwi squad. Like I have said in the past his attacking style is very one dimensional and focuses on running over the top of players which has become fairly ineffective.

Keith Lulia on the other hand is in career best form if he was at the Knights next year I wouldn't hesitate picking him over Junior. However given he is leaving for England and Junior is here next year I think it's more important that Junior keeps his spot and continues to improve his game.

I think some people underestimate the strength of Sau coming out of our own Dangerzone. There are few centres in the game who make as many hard metres as he does. So saying Lulia doesnt make the same kind of tough yards, but Sau gets the team on the front foot with damaging runs. Given the choice of tackling the two, I wouldnt want Sau running at me any day of the week :lol:

Also, wasnt it nice too see House carve up Canberra on the weekend, he was making busts left right and centre. He has always run good lines, but it wasnt really until Sunday that it was showcased to its potential. He was looking like the 09 version of Taia :)

I haven't been a fan of Junior Sau for a while now. Stephen Kearney picked up on his form slump fairly quickly dropping him from the kiwi squad. Like I have said in the past his attacking style is very one dimensional and focuses on running over the top of players which has become fairly ineffective. Keith Lulia on the other hand is in career best form if he was at the Knights next year I wouldn't hesitate picking him over Junior. However given he is leaving for England and Junior is here next year I think it's more important that Junior keeps his spot and continues to improve his game.
We are going to make the finals this season though. In week one of the finals, where if we win four in a row we take out the comp, do you want your number one team there, or the players that will be around next season?If it's such a small difference between the two that it's a throw of the dice as to who's the best option anyway, then I can understand it. I suppose looking at it objectively, Sau is totally capable of a matchwinning performance himself.

I haven't been a fan of Junior Sau for a while now. Stephen Kearney picked up on his form slump fairly quickly dropping him from the kiwi squad. Like I have said in the past his attacking style is very one dimensional and focuses on running over the top of players which has become fairly ineffective.

Keith Lulia on the other hand is in career best form if he was at the Knights next year I wouldn't hesitate picking him over Junior. However given he is leaving for England and Junior is here next year I think it's more important that Junior keeps his spot and continues to improve his game.

In that case we better drop Stig, his attacking game for the past 3 or 4 weeks has involved, doing his step 10 metres away from the defensive line and running straight into them, or passing it behind MacDougall and hoping for the bounce. His step is just nothing now, everyone can read him like a book

Sau raised the bar too high when he first came, now anything under that is not good enough, how great was he in the month leading up to his contract, then again you can say the same for Lulia, is there a third option? :)

Sau everyday of the week and how did any Knights player play bad last weekend we won 40-8 seriously they were all good didnt see him do much wrong at all

In that case we better drop Stig, his attacking game for the past 3 or 4 weeks has involved, doing his step 10 metres away from the defensive line and running straight into them, or passing it behind MacDougall and hoping for the bounce. His step is just nothing now, everyone can read him like a book

It was always going to happen. I called it weeks ago that he needs more strings to his bow if he wants to cement a FG spot in 2012. I'm sure Wayne will have him working on quite a few things in the offseason, and Stig seems like the kind of guy who will put the hard yards in. His running game has become predictable, and other teams have been able to watch the tapes. When he runs it 9 times out of 10 he doesnt even look like passing.

I agree sau hasnt been at his best, but no matter what, you'd have sau in the team this weekend against a big team like the warriors.
Keithy off the bench is working well, and do we really want to play with player positions a few weeks out from the finals? The team is playing well, but this weekend will be a good test to see how well

Lulia's played really well when called upon this year and he deserves major props for that, but you gotta stick with Sa'u IMO.

Weve scored 90 points in the last 2 games and in the last game our defence was brutal against a monster pack ( reminded me of the butts ,sarge ,harrigan marquet days ) .Theres 2 things i wouldnt be doing 1 changing the team and 2 writing us of, so many people think we cant beat the top teams . I say all year weve had guys out, now we pretty much have a full team a lot of them are fresh and weve hit form ,also i just watched the bronco,s warriors match and the broncos pack stuck it to the warriors pack and we will too, bring it on were gonna smah em and when we do theres gonna be a lot of teams taking us serious then boy wooo hooo. (so excited about this year and next that i wish i could drop 25 years and lace up the boots again i wouldnt mind getting smashed lol... but to this thread dont change the team.

There's definitely no excuses if we don't shape up in this game. As Stone said in the paper today, were fit and firing ... really, if we are a contender, we should win.

I don't want to hear excuses after the game from Stone, that's for sure.

Back