Round 19: Newcastle Knights vs Brisbane Broncos

What is your prediction for this game ??

• Knights 13+

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Knights 1-12

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Broncos 1-12

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Broncos 13+

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interview with Luke Yates

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2017/07/12/yates_feeling_fresh_.html

Interview with Brock Lamb, Sounds like he is ok and ready to get on with it

“Obviously it hurts,” Lamb said. “I want to see the fans happy and I want to see the boys celebrating a win.

“I had a million things going through my mind. I guess I’ve just got to back the first one. I probably should have just kicked into touch straight across in front of me.

“It did play a part in our loss that kick of mine, but in saying that I’ve got another chance this weekend to turn it around.”

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4787135/lamb-vows-to-kick-on-after-tough-lesson/?cs=2503

Knights 78
Broncos 0
FTS Pete
LTS Ross
MOM Lamb

Records broken, Korbin ironed out, Wayne & Darius cowering together in a 69 position under the desk in the box & Knights fans whinging that they couldn't go at a point a minute

NRL match preview: Round 19

Thu 13th July, 02:47PM

After a last-gasp defeat to the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs last Sunday, the nib Newcastle Knights are back at home this weekend.

It's a relatively short turnaround and the Broncos are coming off a bye, so recovery will be crucial for the Novocastrians.

NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS v BRISBANE BRONCOS

Date: Saturday July 15
Gates open: 1pm
Kick-off: 5.30pm
Venue: McDonald Jones Stadium

HEAD-TO-HEAD

Played: 46
Knights: 13
Broncos: 32
Drawn: 1

SQUADS

Newcastle

1. Nathan Ross, 2. Chanel Mata’utia, 3. Dane Gagai, 4. Peter Mata’utia, 5. Brendan Elliot, 6. Brock Lamb, 7. Trent Hodkinson, 8. Daniel Saifiti, 9. Danny Levi, 10. Josh King, 11. Sione Mata’utia, 12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon, 13. Mitch Barnett. Interchange: 14. Jamie Buhrer, 15. Luke Yates, 16. Joe Wardle, 17. Jacob Saifiti, 18. Sam Stone, 19. Jacob Gagan, 20. Tyler Randell, 21. Mickey Paea.

Brisbane

1. Jordan Kahu, 2. Jamayne Isaako, 3. James Roberts, 4. Tautau Moga, 5. Jonus Pearson, 6. Benji Marshall, 7. Ben Hunt, 8. Korbin Sims, 9. Andrew McCullough, 10. Adam Blair, 11. Sam Thaiday, 12. Matt Gillett, 13. Josh McGuire. Interchange: 14. Alex Glenn, 15. Tevita Pangai, 16. Joe Ofahengaue, 17. Kodi Nikorima, 18. Salesi Funaki, 19. Jai Arrow, 20. Jaydn Su’a, 21. Anthony Milford, 22. Marion Seve.

TALKING POINTS

Age is no barrier

After last weekend’s heartbreaking loss to the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, Nathan Ross tweeted that the oldest player in the red and blues’ starting forward pack was 23.

This week it will be the same, as the Knights come up against some more experienced forwards.

Broncos prop Adam Blair is 31, while back rowers Sam Thaiday and Matt Gillett are 32 and 28 respectively.

Mitch Barnett says age is no excuse though, and it was errors that resulted in a loss against the Bulldogs.

“We played well enough to win on the weekend, there were just a couple of us that made some dumb errors at crucial stages,” Barnett explained.

“We will take some tough lessons out of that game.”

Gagai returns

Fresh from being named player of the series in this year’s Origin, Dane Gagai is set to slot back into the centres for the Knights against his old club this Saturday.

Gagai was outstanding in his last outing for the Knights against the Wests Tigers back in Round 17, and was named Players’ Player.

The Broncos also have three players returning from Origin in Ben Hunt, Josh McGuire and Gillett.

While Hunt only played seven minutes in Queensland’s win, both McGuire and Gillett played big minutes up front.

Plenty of motivation

After another narrow loss, the Knights have plenty of motivation heading into Round 19.

On top of just losing out to the Bulldogs last Sunday, the week before the team put in it’s most disappointing performance of 2017 against the Tigers in front of a big home crowd.

The players will be desperate to put their best foot forward and reward an incredibly loyal fan base

“I know our fans will get behind us and I’m very appreciative of our fans,” Barnett said on Monday.

“So many of them make the trips up to Townsville, always to Sydney, down to Melbourne... so to our fans I say thank you and hopefully they can come out this weekend and get behind us.”

THE FINAL SAY

“The Broncos are a top four team when they’re playing well and I’d expect them to be on the higher end of the table at the latter part of the year,” coach Nathan Brown said on Tuesday.

“We have got a few blokes carrying a few bumps, so apart from Gags (Dane Gagai) coming back, I wouldn’t expect any changes this week.”

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2017/07/13/nrl_match_preview_ro.html

Hey guys,

I'm a new member here and keen to get in on the conversation! Being a 10+ year fan of the Knights and from Brisbane (my most disliked club haha) I thought this thread would be a good one to start on!

I agree with Anthony01, we need size in the middle, even if it is only for a short stint against this Broncos team. I thought the momentum shifted when Paea came on against the dogs.

Also just read on NRL.com that Broncos are resting McGuire and Gillet, but Milford will be back.

Hey guys,

I'm a new member here and keen to get in on the conversation! Being a 10+ year fan of the Knights and from Brisbane (my most disliked club haha) I thought this thread would be a good one to start on!

I agree with Anthony01, we need size in the middle, even if it is only for a short stint against this Broncos team. I thought the momentum shifted when Paea came on against the dogs.

Also just read on NRL.com that Broncos are resting McGuire and Gillet, but Milford will be back.

Hi there, welcome.

you're a brave man using a username like that on a knights forum :lol:

Hey guys,

Welcome aboard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am confident that Paea is in this week, reasons....... common sense, sensible selection process, reward for effort, shortage of likewise type of player due to injuries, typo error in final 17 selection should all else fail.

Is anyone actually confident about tonight? We never seem to show up against the Broncos, especially after our last few results.

Yates starting for reserve grade - Paea and Stone out of the named reserve grade side.

Updated teams: Knights v Broncos

Sat 15 Jul, 2017, 4:30pm
‌‌‌NRL.com

The Knights and Broncos have finalised their line-ups for their Round 19 Telstra Premiership clash.

The Knights have made a number of late changes, with Jamie Buhrer, Jacob Saifiti and Joe Wardle joining the starting side.

Daniel Saifiti, Danny Levi and Lachlan Fitzgibbon drop back to the bench, Luke Yates is out of the 17 and Mickey Paea joins the final interchange.

For the Broncos debutant Jamayne Isaako will start at fullback with Jordan Kahu moving to the wing. Anthony Milford will return at five-eighth, Benji Marshall drops to the bench, Matt Gillett and Josh McGuire have been rested meaning Alex Glenn starts in the back-row and Jai Arrow joins the 17 at lock.

Jaydn Su'A joins the final interchange, with Kodi Nikorima out of the side.

Newcastle Knights

1. Nathan Ross
2. Chanel Mata’utia
3. Dane Gagai
4. Peter Mata’utia
5. Brendan Elliot
6. Brock Lamb
7. Trent Hodkinson
17. Jacob Saifiti
14. Jamie Buhrer (c)
10. Josh King
11. Sione Mata’utia (c)
16. Joe Wardle
13. Mitch Barnett

8. Daniel Saifiti
9. Danny Levi
12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
21. Mickey Paea

Brisbane Broncos

2. Jamayne Isaako
1. Jordan Kahu
3. James Roberts
4. Tautau Moga
5. Jonus Pearson
21. Anthony Milford
7. Ben Hunt
8. Korbin Sims
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Adam Blair (c)
11. Sam Thaiday
14. Alex Glenn
19. Jai Arrow

6. Benji Marshall
15. Tevita Pangai
16. Joe Ofahengaue
20. Jaydn Su’A

http://www.nrl.com/updated-teams-knights-v-broncos/tabid/10874/newsid/109975/default.aspx

Back