Knights release Jesse Ramien

Ponga got a 4yr deal worth a reported 2.8-3.2 mil.
20yrs old and getting somewhere between 650-800k im sure his not to worried about the funds atm.

Yes he's brilliant though he still has much to learn be for the claims of being in the elite of the game.

I'm not against players contracts being upgraded but think we should wait until they have played through some of that period, say half then upgrade.
Keep in mind we don't hear of players giving back when form or value declines

You wouldn’t consider bumping Ramien’s contract up before even playing a minute for your team, it was just said that his value would have greatly increased since signing him – which is undoubtedly true.

As for Ponga, he’s making good coin for a player his age, but not necessarily good coin for a player of his quality. If he were off contract at seasons end, teams would be opening up the war chest and throwing figures of near $1M per season at him. We’ve likely got him for 60% of his value, which is a bargain.

Yes, I believe that is exactly what I typed.

Ramien signed his contract. If he wanted to push his chances for a higher contract he should have held off. He didn't. He has only just said he is happy coming here and not having any second thoughts.

Ponga is making very good money, and as above he will be getting a pay bump anyway for playing origin.

When Ross asked for a pay bump, and he was in good form at the time, the forum all said no chance, he signed his contract etc. Same as these blokes.

I don't think it would be a bad move to give Ramien a contract upgrade if he wanted to sign up for another year.
At the moment we have him cheap for 2 years.
He has shown enough to be worth a 3 or even 4 year contract at his young age, and we could give him a decent upgrade and he'd still be good value.

I don't think it would be a bad move to give Ramien a contract upgrade if he wanted to sign up for another year.
At the moment we have him cheap for 2 years.
He has shown enough to be worth a 3 or even 4 year contract at his young age, and we could give him a decent upgrade and he'd still be good value.

That would be a smart business move, even smarter if we could front end a chunk of it so that he costs less later.

I don’t really understand all this pay bump talk. We signed Ramien at the right time and gambled on Ponga which has paid off in spades thus far. There’s nothing more to it.

If we are getting an additional year in to the deal for Ramien and modestly bumping his pay then it would be worth it, by the end of the deal we will be coming out in front.

I'm not in favour of bumping his contract value for no additional benefit to us.

I don’t really understand all this pay bump talk. We signed Ramien at the right time and gambled on Ponga which has paid off in spades thus far. There’s nothing more to it.

Probably just as a good faith thing. After the last couple of months he might be feeling a little unlucky to have already done a deal when he could have got a better one now. It wouldn't hurt for us to give him a small upgrade & some more length on the deal to really make him happy coming here. But at the same time, he has a contract & we have no obligation to upgrade it, especially since we don't know if he'll bring his Sharks form here. It would just be a nice little thing to do, whether you want to do that for a player comes down to the personality of the coach/recruitment staff I guess & how they want to treat their players.

Ponga on the other hand I'm sure would be very happy with his current contract. We need to start negotiating with him in advance of him coming off-contract & just give him the big 1mil. As long as the money is up around that mark, I'm sure he'd be happy to re-sign without going to market, unless something drastic happens or he wants to be an All Black or something.

Has anyone’s contract ever been upgraded before it even started? I highly doubt it. That’s just not how things work. All this talk is silly IMO. We rolled the dice on offering him (presumably) first grade centre money (even if on the lower end – guessing), but the guy was just a good 20’s player at the time. He could’ve backed himself and waited out the year to see if he got playing time at Cronulla and raised his value, but he didn’t. He took the safe route, covered his future incase of injury or form slump and was obviously happy with the value and opportunity he was getting at Newcastle. He gambled and we gambled. Both parties were happy hence the agreement. There’s no going back or altering things now. Would “good faith” be applied on his end if he wasn't performing up to scratch and looked nothing like a first grade capable centre? Absolutely not. Knights need to take the win and move on. We haven’t had many of them the past few years.

No chance would I upgrade his contract before he even gets here let him play next season and if he plays well for the season offer him an upgrade on a 2 year extension

He needs to play here before considering a pay bump even if he dominates the competition for rest of this season. Because not all players can play at all clubs sometimes things click at one club not another so no need to look at it till see if home works for him

In the Toohey article today, the club is talking to Denniss and Sio about contracts for next year - so the 3/4 line comes from SKD, Ramien, Sione, Moga, Denniss, Ross, Sio and maybe Musgrove and Mitch Andrews to round out firsts and reserve grade.
Lamb is maybe going to Parra, so halves next year look very thin - by my counting we have 1 genuine firstgrade half - Pearce.

In the Toohey article today, the club is talking to Denniss and Sio about contracts for next year - so the 3/4 line comes from SKD, Ramien, Sione, Moga, Denniss, Ross, Sio and maybe Musgrove and Mitch Andrews to round out firsts and reserve grade.
Lamb is maybe going to Parra, so halves next year look very thin - by my counting we have 1 genuine firstgrade half - Pearce.[/QUOTE]

So same as this year

Lamb is maybe going to Parra, so halves next year look very thin - by my counting we have 1 genuine firstgrade half - Pearce.
How is young Hazard going Billy ive only seen 1 game he played in reserves and we lost but he was the best player in our side for that game ...

How is young Hazard going Billy ive only seen 1 game he played in reserves and we lost but he was the best player in our side for that game ...
Been injured for ages. I think he only had 3 or 4 games fully fit, and a few half fit.

Ramien has probably doubled his value since we signed him.
He's probably very dirty that we signed him as a fringe firstgrader and he's now a boom youngster who could get near rep level money.
Would easily be worth 500k+ IMO

2 years feels like a really short time when a player is in form and doing well like Ramien and before you know it you’re doubling their pay.

On the other hand you can be the Eels who have to pay Michael Jennings 800k in 2019 and 2020 and then thinking like that it feels like an eternity before you can cut him loose haha.

Back