Headgear Discussion

Pieguyfly

Sean Rudder
In my opinion, they should be mandatory. Getting repeatedly knocked around and have head collisions is completely horrible for the brain in the long term (just look at Tommy Roudonikus [spelling] hehe).

I don't know why they're not. They're not exactly 20kg, and they're not made of metal nails that stick into your head. Sure it might not be as tough, but it's the player's livelihoods and health that need to be preserved. Look at soccer, wussy sport but even they have more mandatory protection than the NRL. NFL has body armour. Baseball has their helmets. We have mouthguards...teeth aren't exactly more important than the brain.

My opinion is leave it to the players. They all know it is better for the wellbeing. It might sound stupid but some players probably find them uncomfortable or awkward to play in (I mean the feel on their head). If you look at all those other sports, if NFL didnt have all that stuff they could potentially kill each other and baseballs get thrown at around 100-150km/h.

They use them a lot more in Union don't they? Especially the forwards, but that is more to stop their ears being chewed off when they are rolling around in the mud isn't it?

In my opinion, they should be mandatory. Getting repeatedly knocked around and have head collisions is completely horrible for the brain in the long term (just look at Tommy Roudonikus [spelling] hehe).

I don't know why they're not. They're not exactly 20kg, and they're not made of metal nails that stick into your head. Sure it might not be as tough, but it's the player's livelihoods and health that need to be preserved. Look at soccer, wussy sport but even they have more mandatory protection than the NRL. NFL has body armour. Baseball has their helmets. We have mouthguards...teeth aren't exactly more important than the brain.

Its a common misconception that RL/RU Headgear prevents concussions if you believe some studies. Its quite interesting actually, their research has shown the mouthguard does more in the prevention of concussions then headgear does, providing that its a properly fitted mouthguard. Headgear is great at stopping head lacerations, but doesn't do much in the way of stopping people being KO'd, well not as much as the mouthguard.

Also I think headgear is compulsory in some RL Groups these days, in the mini-level, just like mouthguards. Watching the mini-dudes run around on Sunday at Ausgrid, in the game played in front of me out of the two teams on 2 or 3 guys didnt have headgear (and all of them were on the one team), so there is certainly a rise in the use of headgear. Personally I never wore head gear in Mini-league, but once I started wearing it in Mod I wore it right through International. Even though risk of head injuries is very small in Mini-League compared to older age groups as they play pretty slowly, Its good to get the kids wearing the protective gear because it becomes Habit later on.

Its the same with cricket helmets (which I think provide more protection against concussions as they are built more like a crash helmet). I never wore one in my younger years. However I started wearing it once the bowling started getting faster as I got older and started playing at a higher level, and there was that increased risk. I use to wear it times out of Habit even though I dont like wearing it. Although last year when I just played socially i didn't wear it.

Last edited:
They use them a lot more in Union don't they? Especially the forwards, but that is more to stop their ears being chewed off when they are rolling around in the mud isn't it?

I think its more to prevent the old Cauliflower ears that they get in scrums when the front row engages :lol: But grown men rolling around in the mud chewing each others ears (Tyson anyone?) sounds much more demeaning for their sport :lol:

I don't think anyone in the Knights FG side wears one which is a shame because they are great marketing tool as aside to the protection values which have been debated about. Both Jamie Soward and Jonathon Thurston wear headgear which they sometimes hand over to young fans at the end of game. It also makes it alot easier identifying players from a distance. Not for everyone but I think the smaller players should definately give it a shot...

Headgears don't do much at all to prevent concussion. You get a concussion from when your brain shifts around in the skull, and the only way to stop this is to have no physical contact, but we can't change that because its part of the game. In the NFL they wear these massive, strong helmets but they still get concussions and its becoming a big problem within their game.

Headgears don't do much at all to prevent concussion. You get a concussion from when your brain shifts around in the skull, and the only way to stop this is to have no physical contact, but we can't change that because its part of the game. In the NFL they wear these massive, strong helmets but they still get concussions and its becoming a big problem within their game.

I was just about to say this. They do wear helmets. But the helmets aren't bulletproof. Evidence to that is this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urxloYLBV0Q

I think its more to prevent the old Cauliflower ears that they get in scrums when the front row engages :lol: But grown men rolling around in the mud chewing each others ears (Tyson anyone?) sounds much more demeaning for their sport :lol:

Far be it from me to knowingly denigrate those union boys........:crazy:

I used to play union and when i didn't wear one I felt so unprotected and when I was at the bottom of rucks and somebody's on your head it really did hurt (I was a scrumhalf so I don't even know why I was at the bottom of the ruck). When I wore a headgear i didn't get those headaches when hit in a tackle or stuck in a ruck.

It's hard comparing my year 7 days to professional league but they do something, if not stop concussions. A head collision is worse off with two naked heads than two padded heads, even if not stopping the concussion it cushions the impact, making the pain a bit more manageable. Plus it'll reduce the chances of cracking your skull, another injury caused by direct collisions to the head.

In cricket, you really don't want to get hti in the head with the ball, even when you're playing against spin. It was pretty much school policy for us to wear helmets (and boxes) and to be honest I would have worn one anyway. Even fielding at slips I got paranoid that an edge would go to my face (i didnt wear a helmet though haha)...that cricket ball is a very scary thing.

As for my tennis...don't think I need a headgear.

If you dont wear a box playing cricket you'd have to be the most insane person on earth :lol:

I hate wearing a helmet in cricket, and only wear it when I play top grade or Rep cricket. When I play socially in the lower grades (which has been the last few years as I havent been able to fully commit due to work) I dont wear one.

The other downside of headgear in footy as it can cause a fair bit of overheating. I havent really worn those newer design ones like Soward/Thurston wear, but I'd imagine they'd be just as bad, if not worse the old Steeden one I use to wear. And I was only a half/outside back, so didnt have to do much work :lol:

The other downside of headgear in footy as it can cause a fair bit of overheating. I havent really worn those newer design ones like Soward/Thurston wear, but I'd imagine they'd be just as bad, if not worse the old Steeden one I use to wear. And I was only a half/outside back, so didnt have to do much work :lol:

Overheating is the killer, I used to play hooker and I only used mine for the first 20min when the game was at its fastest and id take it off, I also got smashed trying to make a tackle one day and I still got a bit wobbly, wasnt the hardest whack either but at the end of my playing days I didnt worry about wearing it.
I look at it like this, If you jump off a roof and land on a foam matress it isnt going to make much difference! hmmmm...spring loaded head gears? :p

Wearing cricket helmets in the middle of summer is the worst, it feels like they are melting your head. I don't wear a helmet in my local comp, but in Rep games when i'm facing a bowler i haven't faced before i'll wear a helmet. Also i know a guy who has played cricket for 20+ years and he never wears gloves, even at Rep games. You would have to be pretty brave or stupid to do that :lol:

Wearing cricket helmets in the middle of summer is the worst, it feels like they are melting your head. I don't wear a helmet in my local comp, but in Rep games when i'm facing a bowler i haven't faced before i'll wear a helmet. Also i know a guy who has played cricket for 20+ years and he never wears gloves, even at Rep games. You would have to be pretty brave or stupid to do that :lol:

Thats so bad ***.

Never worn a helmet in cricket, it feels so bulky and inhibits my vision, especially when turning while running between the wickets, takes me ages to find where the ball is.

Mind you, on the low slow wickets we get, getting the ball shoulder height is am achievement for a bowler. It is common on artificials though. But anyway, I've never been hit, and I've hooked and pulled and all sorts. If the ball's getting a bit close, just sway to one side or duck - easy!

Never worn a helmet in cricket, it feels so bulky and inhibits my vision, especially when turning while running between the wickets, takes me ages to find where the ball is.

Mind you, on the low slow wickets we get, getting the ball shoulder height is am achievement for a bowler. It is common on artificials though. But anyway, I've never been hit, and I've hooked and pulled and all sorts. If the ball's getting a bit close, just sway to one side or duck - easy!

I'm also worried that when I'm pushig for the single and the fielder's going for the wicket that the ball could hit me! Plus the helmet makes me feel like a warrior in those hot summers and sweat is just pouring out of it like a juice box!

Eww. I actually did wear one one time, that's how I know how annoying it is, and I got hit in the back of the head by a throw from the fielder haha.

When I play in the backrow against a physical team I would wear headgear all the time, but if i'm playing in a less physical position like 5/8th I don't wear it. Didn't really see a genuine need to wear it in a position where you aren't running the ball as much.

I got hit in the googlies once playing cricket, and i was wearing a box, and it still hurt like something not right......so i would hate to have had that and not had the protection....

Back