General Soccer Discussion / A-League

Nothing against soccer, it is just too boring.

Im a massive football (soccer) fan, ive played it for 13 yrs, i have refed it for 4 years and i have started coaching it this year however i must agree (to an extent) with gouldy's statement.

Aussies (or kiwis for that matter) dont get the fact the football (soccer) is all about the buildup, not just the goals. No doubt the goals are the best part, but how they got there is almost as good. Aussies and kiwis only think this way because the large maority were not brought up on football llike those in europe/south america/ africa are.

On that note though the experience of watching the Knights play is 100 times different to watching the jets play. they are their own individual events, that are each in their own right are unmissable.

sorry for getting up on the soapbox

Aussies (or kiwis for that matter) dont get the fact the football (soccer) is all about the buildup, not just the goals. No doubt the goals are the best part, but how they got there is almost as good. Aussies and kiwis only think this way because the large maority were not brought up on football llike those in europe/south america/ africa are.

I used to be like that. But I love the game so much more now. Even the parts of the game that are considered to be boring, are good to watch.

All this EPL talk has made me wish we had an EPL Topic. And that it was stickied :D . Any thoughts admins?

I know this is unrelated but there isn't a soccer thread but chelsea have offered sergio ramos 115 million to play for them he's a great player but is anyone worth that much money

Your only just thinking that now ?

My gosh, sokkah players have been earning overs for years.

I know this is unrelated but there isn't a soccer thread but chelsea have offered sergio ramos 115 million to play for them he's a great player but is anyone worth that much money

115 million? No player is going to be offered that kind of cash to play anywhere. That might be his transfer fee between clubs. The player might get offered A$12.5m per year but nothing like A$115m. That's about £55m - that must be the rumoured transfer fee. He is NOT worth that much. I might be tempted to pay that for Messi from Barcelona but nobody else.

And finally............

Injured midfielder Harry Kewell will have cost Liverpool £157,554 per game when his Anfield career comes to an end this month. Kewell, who was signed by Gerard Houllier from Leeds in 2003, is one of several players heading for the exit door. (Various UK news sources, BBC)

Last edited:
well, I think the Jets might struggle this year. They've lost a lot of key players from last season, due to Con Constantine's decision not to use 3rd party sponsorships (as its supposedly a 'conflict of interest' with his sponsorship interests, like Parklea markets). That decision could be very costly, especially losing players like Mark Bridges, Andrew Durante etc.

Either way or the other, for me, its the Knights 1st, then Jets 2nd. Always will consider League (Autumn/Winter) and Cricket (Spring/Summer) as my favourite sports, followed by Soccer.

Is it really a case of RL or Football and never the twain shall meet or is there room in fans' hearts for both sports? Has Con Constantine's gobbing off spoiled any chance of Knights' fans ever getting behind the Jets? I know there are always financial constraints for going to matches but it does seem to be one sport vs. the other.

There will always be room in my big, fat, clogged heart for both the Knights and Jets. I love 'em both. Loved both sports for years and will continue to do so.

The major problem with the Jets forum (I'm assuming people are referring to Newcastle Football right?) is that they have one-eyed football supporters who want nothing more for the Knights to die off and have the Jets as "the" team of the region. Essentially, they want local sport to be a one-team communist regime. To me, that's stupidity on a level similar to that of the state government.

A fellow Red Devil - good man yerself! :icon_biggrin:

Same here. :D

Im a massive football (soccer) fan, ive played it for 13 yrs, i have refed it for 4 years and i have started coaching it this year however i must agree (to an extent) with gouldy's statement.

On that note though the experience of watching the Knights play is 100 times different to watching the jets play. they are their own individual events, that are each in their own right are unmissable.

sorry for getting up on the soapbox

You're spot on there.

Your only just thinking that now ?

My gosh, sokkah players have been earning overs for years.

That's because they don't have salary caps.

If he can't keep a winning team together then Constantine needs to go.

Who is he going to sell it to?

It's worked over here. An owner who doesn't do well gets a lot of stick from the fans and decides to sell to another owner to avoid losing any more money. I don't know if there are any suitors waiting in the wings to buy him out. If the Jets are crap this year, wait for the Con-bashing to begin. It'll happen!

It's worked over here. An owner who doesn't do well gets a lot of stick from the fans and decides to sell to another owner to avoid losing any more money. I don't know if there are any suitors waiting in the wings to buy him out. If the Jets are crap this year, wait for the Con-bashing to begin. It'll happen!

What about Doug Ellis (former chairman and owner of Aston Villa)? He was there for ages and couldn't bring them more titles...

Dude I think you should stick with the EPL, Seriously.

Anyhow, it may happen in Europe because there is alot of interest from old dudes with nothing else to spend their money, however, I doubt he would be forced to sell because there simply really isn't anyone who would buy it.

Besides, I don't think they will do poorly, Con has nothing to worry about.

I'm a jets supporter and i think the partnership between the Knights and the Jets can become a very strong business partnership.
Currently the ad for pro ticket ( the ticket provider for knights games ) has a few of the jets boys and the knights boys in it.
The two clubs just have to stop there bickering over field rentals etc and if they can combine some aspects of both businesses, it will benefit both clubs..

And United win the European Champions League!!!!! 6-5 on penalties!! We are the Pride of all Europe..........................!!!

What about Rooney, Tevez, Hargraves, Ferdinand, Vidic, et. al? Especially van der Sar - he took the save that matters...(yes, this is coming from a hockey goalie...I feel an affinity with goalkeepers).

Back