Chris Houston signs with the Widnes Vikings

rhugh89

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Newcastle Knights veteran Chris Houston told to look elsewhere

November 11, 2015 - 10:00PM

Chris Houston appears to have played his last game for the Knights after being told he does not feature in the plans of new coach Nathan Brown.

Under contract to Newcastle for season 2016, Houston has been absent from pre-season training after a recent meeting with Brown, at which the 30-year-old back-rower was advised to explore other alternatives.

"Chris has had a conversation with Nathan, and it was all very honest and transparent and respectful," Knights chief executive Matt Gidley said.

"Chris is weighing up a number of options as we speak."

Asked what the likely outcome would be if Houston insisted on honouring his contract, Gidley replied:

"He's a contracted player with us next year, and if that's the way it goes, we'll be fulfilling all the entitlements in his contract."

Gidley denied any other players were being ushered towards the back door, but it is understood some are on notice and the Knights are willing to release them if other clubs are interested.

Brown has known Houston for 10 years, since coaching him in St George Illawarra's champion Jersey Flegg side of 2005, but the coach said when he was first appointed:

"Sometimes you've got to make some hard calls to move forward."

Two factors appear to have counted against Houston, who has played in 160 top-grade games for Newcastle, 22 of them last season, since joining the club in 2008.

First, the Knights are clearly desperate to free up salary cap space to allow them to make some strategic signings, and also his age.

Brown has ranked Tariq Sims, Robbie Rochow and Joseph Tapine ahead of Houston in the pecking order and is eager to provide opportunities for up-and-comers Lachlan Fitzgibbon and brothers Daniel and Jacob Saifiti.

If Houston leaves, he would be the third senior back-rower to part company with Newcastle since the end of last season, joining Beau Scott (Parramatta) and Clint Newton (retired).

In addition, 32-year-old Todd Lowrie signed to play for the Knights next year but has opted to hang up the boots and coach the club's under-20s.

Between them, Houston, Scott, Newton and Lowrie boast more than 700 games' NRL experience.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-elsewhere-20151111-gkwq4x.html#ixzz3rBEGqpHp

I wondered why he wasn't in the training shots.
It's a pretty obvious move.
I have no idea why Jeremy Smith isn't on notice too.

Good to hear the Saifiti twins are in the plans - although that is obvious too.

I don't care how much people rate/don't rate Houston, if this doesn't lead to someone coming in for him with our spare money this off-season we failed.

Our depth is getting thinner and thinner by the minute.

I don't care how much people rate/don't rate Houston, if this doesn't lead to someone coming in for him with our spare money this off-season we failed.

Our depth is getting thinner and thinner by the minute.
I'd say Bhana was bought as Houston's replacement, ie depth backrower behind Smith, Tariq, Rochow and Tapine.

Hopefully Houston was on decent coin and we can still get someone that's first team quality, though.

Thank ****. We finally got rid of him. It took 4 years of mediocrity before it happened. He seems like a great guy, had some good years with us & no doubt tried every game, but he just wasn't anything special anymore, a first-grader yes, but not for a team that wants to win in this day & age.

A great decision by Brown, always felt that Houstons time was coming to an end and is would be his last contract. He came in as a forward who no one knew and did a great job filling in as prop in 2009 I think when we lost both our starters early but I think the game has passed him by a bit. Not even worth the bench depth anymore.

No Houston or Gidley next year. Who are we all gonna blame our losses on now?

Uate, Sione, Snowden probably. Take your pick.

Great to see Brown opt for young players, now he just has to get the best out of them.

Great to see Brown opt for young players, now he just has to get the best out of them.

I doubt it's sione mate, the other two possibly but I think Mullen has been told to improve also he didn't look very happy in his interview

Snowden was one of our best last yr so hoping he continues. I'd say Uate will be used to take the blame.

Snowden was one of our best last yr so hoping he continues. I'd say Uate will be used to take the blame.

I actually think we will be a lot better next year sounds like the naughty children who played up under Bennett and stone are finally getting put in their place.

I think brown is going to surprise a few people with his team for round one

I know our depth is getting very thin but I can only see this as a good move. If we are truly rebuilding then booting guys like Houston needs to happen. No point leaving him in the joint if he isn't in the clubs plans. And lets face it.. the guy brings nothing that a decent rookie wouldn't be able to.

Thank ****. We finally got rid of him. It took 4 years of mediocrity before it happened. He seems like a great guy, had some good years with us & no doubt tried every game, but he just wasn't anything special anymore, a first-grader yes, but not for a team that wants to win in this day & age.

Yep - finally!!! Feels like a huge weight off my shoulders.

Doesn't matter how well Snowden plays, he's a whipping boy cause he's slow. Meanwhile Sione can dish up trash and you're not allowed to say anything because he played for Australia you know.

Anyway, I'm really liking Brown and he's only been here for a fortnight. When's the last time the Knights tapped someone on the shoulder and sent them on their way? And now we've had two strugglers booted out in a month.

Stone did get rid of Mason! :lol:

Mason's contract finished and wasn't extended though.
I'm honestly not sure if we've sent someone under contract packing before?

There's been plenty who have jumped ship of their own accord of course. Scott, BJ, Darius etc etc.

Edit: I guess there has been packer/wicks/houston himself.

I'd say Bhana was bought as Houston's replacement, ie depth backrower behind Smith, Tariq, Rochow and Tapine.

Hopefully Houston was on decent coin and we can still get someone that's first team quality, though.

If he is on more then $200k a season we'll likely be contributing IMO.

I am seriously so happy the shirt grabbing panzie is going though!

- - - Updated - - -

Plenty have been critical of Sione - he was crap in 2015.

Stone did get rid of Mason!

LOL I can actually imagine Stone walking up behind Willy and giving him a tap on the shoulder and giving him a smile.

Willy signed his own exit papers when he said the players would all leave if Bennett left.

Back