Bradman Best discussion

Joshhh

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Bradman Best.png

Knights player #311
Knights debut: vs Wests Tigers, Round 23 2019

Last edited:
A big year for him. Suffered from a bit of second year syndrome last year before finishing pretty strongly (albeit lots of the time through being used as a decoy).

Needs to put those injuries behind him and show us what he’s really capable of … I think he will, but also think origin talk which I’ve seen a bit of is still premature.

He has had a stop start career so far due to injuries, hopefully that is behind him and he can continue to develop especially if he can be given the ball with a little space

Total weapon, come into grade looking like he belongs.

Could finish as a all time Knights great or could be a tragic tale of an injury plagued career. I'm hopeful the injuries are just a case of a young body still growing rather than a body made of glass.

Fan of Bradman, just needs a little more finesse to his game imo still young and learning though. Im sure Dane will be offering plenty of advice

Maybe just me but his style of play and the power I'm sure he'd be a gun winger

In his first year of firstgrade he scored a lot of tries because his opposite number would look at the guy built like a prop and back themselves to run him down easily. They gave him space and he flashed past them in a blink.
Last year no one was giving him space, and I also think his many foot operations had told on him and he didn't have that unexpected flash of speed anymore.
Two or 3 times his year he has taken off when given space, so I'd say he has found that explosive pace again.

He had one bad game where he seemed scared of the ball but he’s been really good overall this year.

Freddy loves Bradman. If he plays like he did on the weekend for the next 5 weeks it wouldn't surprise me if he gets picked for origin.

he can't have hit his ceiling already can he? surely this is not as good as he's ever gonna get.

he can't have hit his ceiling already can he? surely this is not as good as he's ever gonna get.
He's an elite athlete - big, strong and fast. But lacks agility, isn't a great defender at centre, and doesn't appear to have the best footy IQ.

Seems to me like he should either be playing on the wing - focus on good yardage carries and finishing, or move into the second row and run Fitz's lines at some small improvement. Really not sure why the club pegged this kid as a centre.

He's an elite athlete - big, strong and fast. But lacks agility, isn't a great defender at centre, and doesn't appear to have the best footy IQ.

Seems to me like he should either be playing on the wing - focus on good yardage carries and finishing, or move into the second row and run Fitz's lines at some small improvement. Really not sure why the club pegged this kid as a centre.

Because he is a centre. You do watch footy yeah lol?

Seen plenty enough of him to know. He has a great ability to beat a defender and get a flick pass away to his winger to put them over. Or, give him space with not much on, and he can create something from practically nothing.

Yeah, we want this bloke sitting on the wing.

Because he is a centre. You do watch footy yeah lol?

Seen plenty enough of him to know. He has a great ability to beat a defender and get a flick pass away to his winger to put them over. Or, give him space with not much on, and he can create something from practically nothing.

Yeah, we want this bloke sitting on the wing.
I do actually watch footy, yeah.

He's 40 games into his career. Either he isn't the second coming of Gasnier, or he isn't as athletic as billed.

Happy to take either option, but I've seen more athleticism than skill. Could you give me even half a dozen examples in those three years where he's "beaten a defender and [gotten] the flick pass away"? Happened in the Roosters game this year, but I can't think of the other 5...

I reckon he’s been pretty good this year with limited opportunities, just need to do a better job of getting him the ball in good situations. Look at how Talakai has put in all these raveworthy performances with this year, then the Broncos of all teams with their defensive pressure and kick strategy the other night never let him get the ball running downhill, Kotoni always onto him early when they shifted it and most of his involvements were him being gang tackled on tackle two after a kick pinning Mulitalo in the corner. He’s not as big and strong as Sifa but with his extra pace and skill it should if anything be easier to set him up than it is for the Sharks to set up their weapon, doesn’t need to get the ball going downhill quite as much.

Still 20 years old.
Could be playing Flegg this year.
His try scoring record is outstanding for a young centre.
He also has nearly as many try assists and his side of the field has been our most productive whenever he plays.
He seems happy to stay at Newcastle on a pretty small contract, but I'll be surprised if we can keep him next time his contract comes up unless we up the offer a fair bit.
We have looked after him pretty well as a young guy. He has had a lot of minor injuries that other teams might have asked him to play with, but we have let him rehab properly. His loyalty to us is probably because we have looked after him well through all his growing pains.

Yeah stats aren’t everything, but:

39 games
14 tries
13 try assists
27 direct try involvements in total
0.69 direct try involvements per game
17 line breaks
127 average run metres
I hate the tackle efficiency stat but he sits at about 89%

Here’s pretty much the consensus best centre in the game, playing at a much more successful team:

122 games
46 tries
33 try assists
79 direct try involvements in total
0.64 direct try involvements per game
53 line breaks
104 average run metres
85% tackle efficiency

A bit more of a contemporary of Braddy and my pick to replace Latrell Mitchell in Origin 1:

61 games
34 tries
16 try assists
50 direct try involvements
0.82 direct try involvements per game
27 line breaks
131 average run metres
84% tackle efficiency

And then you can compare Brady to a lot of other guys not considered elite who are getting involved in tries about 0.3-0.4 times per game.

I think he’s been a victim of expectation based on how he burst into the scene on the first place, but there aren’t a lot of centres picking up 3 Dally M points multiple times per season, and making that much happen in attack for a team which has struggled so much to get anything going and to get him quality ball is something he doesn’t get enough credit for in my opinion.

I wont be hunting for anyone elses evidence or justification.

Sticking him on the wing would be laughable.

His issue is he is playing in a crap attacking team who cant seem to get the best out of anyone.

But the guy is a centre through and through.

His issue is his defence, his reads and decision making at times are terrible but hopefully that's just an age thing because defence in the juniors is not compulsory

Back