Aidan Guerra

Stone looks to be developing into a very good forward, 2nd row, he didn't play yesterday, injured or 18th man?
While we keep picking King, not quite 1st grade and Yates, a goer back lacks a bit of size, we will not have the pack we need to be competitive. Can't doubt the effort they both put in.

Guerra never played for the storm........... So I don't understand this tight business. Maybe I'm missing something?

WHY GUERRA IS JOINING KNIGHTS

Aidan Guerra wants to help Nathan Brown resurrect Newcastle.

The former Queensland Origin forward has revealed why he’s leaving the Roosters for a new start in Newcastle.

The 29-year-old said it was an honest conversation with Roosters coach Trent Robinson that helped him make the decision to leave Bondi.

“It was a good opportunity. Once I spoke to Robbo and as a club you can see the direction they’re going,” Guerra told Private Ryan.

“You look at the stocks coming through. Stocks are plentiful. It’s exciting for the club. Once (Robbo) gave me his blessing to go out and see what’s out there, I weighed things up and the Knights seem like a good opportunity.

“As you can tell by the way they play, they’re a club on the up. It will be great to be part of the resurrection of a great club.”

A veteran of 10 Origins and one Test for Australia, the 103 kilo lock is playing his eighth season of first grade.

Having made his first grade debut for the tricolours in 2010, Guerra plays his 150th game this weekend when the Roosters face his former club Melbourne.

Guerra already has one title with the Roosters from 2013, and is daring to dream about an October finish before closing this chapter of his career.

“I want to make the weeks left in the Roosters colours count,” he said.

“I’ve been here for a long time. It’s my eighth season. I’d love to finish off on a positive note and finish in October.

“I don’t need a farewell tour to ignite me. I’d love to finish on a high with the people I’ve grown up with as a footballer.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/9b6bd8fd7ae5e931334e773aa5b16d2a

Guerra never played for the storm........... So I don't understand this tight business. Maybe I'm missing something?

Danknight - Guerra was in the Storm system for four years, Played with all the big boys in developmental squads and broke his ankle had over half a dozen opperations to fix the initial botched job, during that time he was in the Storms top squad and was dropped by Bellyache when he signed for Roosters - ALL that is old news.

Also if you do a bit of research you will see that he was invited to the Blairs wedding on Hamilton Island - that is close in my books.

I think you will find Guerra is better connected to the top player group than you give credit.

SKD and Watson both chatted to him before signing and if Knights were serious they would have him talk to BBQ as they were tight at Storm and Roosters.

Evidence shows Guerra wants to be here more than some who are here already.

In saying that, I just hope they can assemble a formidable team going forward using whatever connections are available.

PROOF KNIGHTS HAVE SIGNED A WINNER WITH GUERRA

This was a story your columnist was banking on writing last week but the Roosters losing to the Cowboys changed that plan.

Still, for Newcastle fans questioning the club’s purchase of Aidan Guerra, it’s a story that should be told.

It was a stupid comment but in many ways it helped shaped the Roosters season.

December training. The New Year seemed so far away. It was hot and the Roosters were running hills. The entire squad is there, minus their rep players.

The team is in the middle of Moore Park working their way up a long grassy incline.

It was a long and arduous session but slowly the players finish their final lap. They’re all done but Shaq Mitchell, the younger brother of boom centre Latrell.

He’s struggling. A big unit, Shaq is shuffling down the hill, his tank on empty.

One of the players makes a snide comment that catches the ear of a more senior player, “Run fat boy.”

It angered him but before he could clip the younger player who spoke out of turn, a voice starts yelling out words of encouragement.

It’s Aidan Guerra. He breaks away from the group and starts running with him.

As one of the most senior members of the team, instinct takes over and he sets the example. Without hesitation, the rest of the group joins them.

Huddled around Shaq, the Roosters do an extra lap together.

It was a season defining moment and it happened three months before a ball was even kicked.

It was a moment several of their players remember vividly.

At the time they didn’t realise just how significant that moment was but reflecting on it, it was a turning point for the club who had missed the finals the previous year.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/409337166cf89ea6ed8e1a7227ccba4d

I watched the matchup between Guerra and Sione in the Roosters game and thought Sione was the clear winner.
He does seem to have the right sort of experience and maturity we need, but it would be nice if he played a position we didn't already have covered.
I suppose if he can play lock and Barnett can move to prop he will improve our forward rotation.

He went up to another level late in the season. I was abit sceptical about him at first, more so because of the amount we're paying him but for the last 6 or 8 weeks including big games he was close to their best every week.

Someone will have to move to accomodate him. Whether it's Sione, Fitzy or Barnett I don't know. But it's great that we're debating about quality First Graders instead of the reserve grade level players like we have the last couple of years.

He went up to another level late in the season. I was abit sceptical about him at first, more so because of the amount we're paying him but for the last 6 or 8 weeks including big games he was close to their best every week.

Someone will have to move to accomodate him. Whether it's Sione, Fitzy or Barnett I don't know. But it's great that we're debating about quality First Graders instead of the reserve grade level players like we have the last couple of years.

I was thinking about this yesterday. It's going to be a squeeze with our forwards this year if everyone stays fit. Dan, Ese'Ese, Lillyman & Jake would obviously be the props picked. Guerra will start, but then Buhrer, Sione and Barnett don't go into two spots, haven't even considered Fitz yet. So the bench would be two of the props, Slade and one of the backrowers squeezed out of the starting line up. How exciting is it to be having genuine selection dilemmas??

..and Phythian might have something to say about the bench spot if he can get himself fit. So he, Levi and Slade have to fit into two spots. Brilliant.

Definitely agree that Guerra rose to another level the back half of the year which was good to see, as I too was a bit skeptical of the signing.

I appreciate the professionalism and experience he'll bring to the table which is arguably his best trait atm and something our young team sorely lacked this past season, but in terms of on field performance, I've never been his biggest fan tbh. After we signed him though, I watched him more closely and thought he played well for the most part. A good step above what I expected.

One of the things I've noticed with him though is he seems to need the team around him playing well as a whole for him to play well, otherwise he's a non factor. In saying that, I do think he'll bring a lot to our team next season in terms of professional and experience. I think he can offer us some decent footy on the field too, both at lock and second row depending on what Brown needs.

It is brilliant Battler competition for positions.

It is a long, long time since we have been in that position and have used the old 'cut and paste' for far too many seasons. And of course injuries will take a toll.

Back