Which players should be told to look elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by roger88, Jul 27, 2015.

1. roger88

roger88 Tim Maddison

With Rick Stone now sacked and the club giving the players until end of season to prove themselves. Which players should be told to leave now?

Here's my list:

1. Jeremy Smith
    2. Tyrone Roberts.
    3. David Faalogo
    4. Chris Houston
    5. James McManus ** He could go okay under a new coach though**

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  2. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Solid list, but who plays wing instead of Jimmy?

I'd add Clydesdale,

3. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Clydsdale looked great for about ten minutes on Saturday, then it was back to the same old. Although I guess he couldn't do a lot, the way we were playing.

I think Smith still adds something - even if in NSW Cup, he'd be a good person to keep around. He had no issues playing that grade a few weeks ago.

4. roger88

roger88 Tim Maddison

One of the Matautai boys.

5. jamesgould

You can't say they'd go better after what we saw on Saturday, surely?!

6. roger88

roger88 Tim Maddison

Seen enough of what they did last year to suggest they could.

7. slotmachine

Perhaps you didn't watch Saturday's game?

Chanel makes Aku look like Steve Simpson.

8. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Chanel was terrible but I think it's harsh to judge him off that. It would be hard for most young guys to come into what happened against South Sydney. He was good last year. McManus will always be reliable but he just doesn't do enough for my liking, sometimes you wonder if he's playing or not.

Smith won't stick around to play NSW Cup, when he was negotiating he said he'll be playing somewhere next year, if the Knights want him or not, so that sounds like he's desperate to still be playing NRL.

9. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Hard to say about the Mata├║tia boys, but they were all getting steadily better till the day they signed good contracts, and have all been getting steadily worse since.

10. mullenmagic

mullenmagic Anthony Quinn

One bad game and now he's no good? If that's the case why is Mullen still here after 10 years of bad games?

Edit: Aku too.

11. slotmachine

Chanel couldn't defend last year either. He was doing stuff that Aku would be hug out to dry for, but for some reason, no one wants to admit that the hot young juniors might not be so hot.

Same old story from the fans though. The young guys must be better. Until they've played 100 mediocre first grade games and we're telling them to move on.

12. supporter2

supporter2 Jake Mamo

Clysdale played pretty good considering all we did was defend people need to learn to catch instead Souths get another six every time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. slotmachine

No Matt, they've had months if not years to do it.

14. mullenmagic

That's because Chanel's played 8 first grade games, and played more good games than bad games. Whereas Aku has played for 8 seasons (+ played for NSW & Australia) and still hasn't learnt a ****ing thing about how to defend.

I'd agree with you if fans were saying they wanted to replace someone great with a young guy, but it's McManus. He's done nothing this year. He's basically the wing version Chris Houston. Solid in defence, but offers nothing in attack.

15. TheBatman

TheBatman Trent Hodkinson

1.Houston
    2.Roberts
    3.Fa'aologo (If he hasn't already made his decision)

Honestly don't know if we need a major clean out, with Hodkinson coming in I really think it's more about a coaching, game play and football "smarts" change. Our set plays are awful to nonexsistent and we consistently make stupid schoolboy errors e.g. dropping kickoffs after points, late tackle penalties and errors coming out of trouble. We have a really good, young roster on paper if we can gameplan correctly and put the right team on the field who are willing to play hard for the coach which includes: Tapine, Mataora, Vaivai, Saifiti twins, Fitzgibon, Yates. The list goes on and we need to hope to get the squad back to full health, without making excuses we've been decimated by injuries all year and in my opinion have never played our full strength team due to injuries namely Mullen, Rochow, Smith, Scott, Tariq's suspension early on and highly questionable team selection e.g Clint Newton in front of Tapine. If I'm Danny or whoever we have earmarked as our coach for next year I'm telling Mullen to book in for surgery, Rochow that his year is done and getting some more experience into our guys who will be playing next year like Mamo, Tapine, Levi, Mataora, Vaivai.

It's good news for the club that we've realised we need change but let's give the team a chance to respond!

16. Defender1

Defender1 Steve Simpson

Pretty much agree with this... I'd be just as happy to retain Houston on a second teir, $60k contract, to play NSW Cup. just to add a bit of experience. If he can get more to go somewhere else, good luck to him.

17. slotmachine

He has nine (9) line breaks. Which is nine (9) more line breaks than Sione Matautia.

18. jamesgould

Now you've completely lost me ... Mullen has carried this team for years, look at how well we've gone this season without him!

That's the quote that worries me too, but I hope Buderus selects a few younger guys over the next six weeks and we don't even see the old crew get a chance.

19. mullenmagic

Yeah he's carried us to such great heights, hasn't he? He's a great talent, but he's a mental midget. He has 4 games where he does nothing for every great game he has. He is just as much apart of the boys club mob as the rest of the people some fans want to get rid of and is holding us back. But he's a local. So he's safe.

- - - Updated - - -

No arguments from me there, Sione has been disappointing this year. But I'm talking about Chanel vs McManus.

20. jamesgould

Considering he's been surrounded by poor team and in particular a dreadful forward pack for the most part - and considering he's not a natural ball player - I think our results would have been a lot worse over the years without him.

Sure he has had times when he's played poorly under pressure ... but I haven't seen that for a few years, now. Just those two games he was back for recently our attack was about ten times better.